Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Welcome to TGT - where trolls are celebrated.
    Not celebrated. Just tolerated until they cross a line.

Everyone on the board trolls from time to time. Everyone. The place would be no fun if that weren't true.

It's just that it's not really possible to reduce to writing, in advance, what "cross a line" means.

Addendum - Those of you speculating about alternate identities for the banned OP are probably wrong unless it's someone who has learned how to cover their tracks much better than in the past. All I can confirm about him is that he was out of Austin but that info was visible in his public profile.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Everyone on the board trolls from time to time. Everyone.
    76AC2648-AF9A-497F-A513-0F0CDAD1463E.gif

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I dont agree with banning that person, just because someone espouses an opinion we don't agree with is not a reason to insult them or silence them. If we do that we are no better than the leftists.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I dont agree with banning that person, just because someone espouses an opinion we don't agree with is not a reason to insult them or silence them. If we do that we are no better than the leftists.
    Even though it was moderately entertaining for a bit, he never addressed any of the comments made. He didn't want to have a civil discussion, he just wanted to troll.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX

If it was a sincerely held opinion they wanted to discuss, that'd be fine. But there was no such intent.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I dont agree with banning that person, just because someone espouses an opinion we don't agree with is not a reason to insult them or silence them.
    But that wasn't the reason. Look over the other threads he recently started.

He didn't want discussion. He wanted to stir shit.

But you hint at a valid point, i.e. the ban was a judgement call. I happen to feel the mod made the right call.

ETA: This post, alone, would have been enough to ban him under the "if you just want to insult people" rule.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I would agree with you. As others mentioned he was looking for trouble. We responded.

I still think tgt needs to protect itself from trolls and the left. Moderates aren’t a thing anymore. The left made sure of it. I used to think very idealistically. How long until a troll wanting to report everything we say to the fbi, batf, or democrats capital police comes along? I’m fine and happy if a liberal wants to join tgt and be converted. If they don’t I’ll be just as happy when they get banned. Call me crazy. Call me over dramatic. I’m telling ya and the rest of tgt this board should convert to private invite in preparation for what’s coming.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

The problem becomes this forum is not a free speech forum; it’s a private business. The business owner delegates authority to moderators to in essence trespass folks who violate the terms and conditions of the business.

Alternative opinions are fine; unchecked shit-stirring drives away members which drives away ad revenue which eventually kills the business. We don’t have to like it, but it is what it is.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I’m fine and happy if a liberal wants to join tgt and be converted. If they don’t I’ll be just as happy when they get banned.
    A classic liberal would fit in fine around here. We might disagree but we'd respectfully educate each other.

Leftists who think all conservatives are crazy just because they're conservative will have a problem. So will people who "just want to watch the world burn."

I haven't done any gaming in a long time but there used to be a thing called "griefers." They'd work to become part of a community, be very helpful, take on responsibilities, etc. They'd earn everyone's respect and trust. But it was all a ruse. At some crucial point in a giant this-means-everything battle, they'd turn on their own team and kill everyone they could, ensuring the destruction of their entire clan.

Mods must constantly be on the lookout for potential griefers. Folks will come in and play nice, ask good questions, participate, etc. until one day they decide to just start flinging crap all over everything. It's happened here before. Personally, I'd rather see a ban happen a little early as opposed to letting someone run rampant because they spent a while earning our collective trust.

After the ban, I did some research. It appears to me that the OP had started his transformation into griefer mode.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    A classic liberal would fit in fine around here. We might disagree but we'd respectfully educate each other.

Leftists who think all conservatives are crazy just because they're conservative will have a problem. So will people who "just want to watch the world burn."

I haven't done any gaming in a long time but there used to be a thing called "griefers." They'd work to become part of a community, be very helpful, take on responsibilities, etc. They'd earn everyone's respect and trust. But it was all a ruse. At some crucial point in a giant this-means-everything battle, they'd turn on their own team and kill everyone they could, ensuring the destruction of their entire clan.

Mods must constantly be on the lookout for potential griefers. Folks will come in and play nice, ask good questions, participate, etc. until one day they decide to just start flinging crap all over everything. It's happened here before. Personally, I'd rather see a ban happen a little early as opposed to letting someone run rampant because they spent a while earning our collective trust.

After the ban, I did some research. It appears to me that the OP had started his transformation into griefer mode.

That's a pretty interesting analysis. Is this a personality problem of the person, or a psychological problem, or they have a desire to disrupt a forum and just cause trouble?

Top Bottom