Target Sports

What did you call your Grandparents and where are you from.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    It's a regional or country of origin thing but there are several different ways to address ones grandparents. Meemaw, pepa paw paw etc.

So my moms side of the family is from Memphis and my grandmother was always big mama. Oddly enough some of my cousins didnt use that name. My moms dad was just luther cause of issues within the family and he wasnt really involved.

On my dads side, they are Kentucky hillbillies and it was grandma grandpa.

Her real name was fanny pearl. Lol if thats not hillbilly I dont know what is.

So what did you call your grandparents and what region of the country or world did those names come from.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    My great grandparents on my father's side were real hillbillies coming from the West Virginia area before settling in East Texas. We always just called her "Granny Sallie". Never knew my
    Granpa Will" since he died the year I was born. My grandparents were "Papa" and "Granny"

My grandparents on my mother's side were were a mix of Irish and Spanish. My stepgrandfather we just called him "Henry" and our grandmother was just called "Meemaw" Both of them lived in the Athens Tx. area, and moved back to Indiana a few short years before they passed away.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Grew up in Texas, mother's side German, came to Texas in 1850's; father's side Scottish, English, and French, came to Texas in early and mid-1800's.

Called both grandmothers Granny.

Grandfathers died, one before I was born, and one before I could talk, but my brothers called them both Grandpa.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Grandpa and Grandma. But if we spoke of them at home, my sister and I referred to them as Big Grandpa and Little Grandma. Big Grandpa was married to little Grandma and Little Grandpa (grouchy old coot) was married to big Grandma. They all passed in the 60s and 70s except for Big Grandma who passed in 1999 at the age of 99 and 11 months.

Pure German on both sides, they were all born in the 19th century.

Except for Little Grandma, who immigrated from Germany at a young age, they spent their entire lives in or near Seguin.

Last edited:

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    My dad's side, from Kentucky, Arkansas
    Grandpa Grandma and
    Granny for my great grandmother.

Moms side was Grandma and Pappa
    My kids call them memaw and pawpaw
    They are from Oklahoma , ended up in CA.

Edit To add. In my wife's side we have a Pappa and Nanna in northern AZ. Nanna is a step grandmother and didn't want to take the title from the first wife that passed from an aneurysm.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Texas born and raised. It was always just grandma and grandpa.
    Now that we are of age, we are Papi and Nini. Mostly because our grandsons live next door to their paternal grandparents, who were already grandma and grandpa. Works for us!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Dads side Grandpa (Tennessee) and Grandma (Texas) who lived in Oklahoma.

Moms side was Pawpaw (Deep Texas roots) and Nanny (whose parents came from Georgia)

Both families were heavily Irish. Pawpaw’s family came from Ireland and fought in the Revolutionary War.

Top Bottom