Guns International

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Loaded six rounds of .40 lead; two didn’t chamber, one was a dud and three were on top of each other at ten yds.

I’ll clean the chamber and revisit after I put the generator away.

You check with a gage to see where the issue is? 3/6 is bad, even for a caliber that shouldn't exist!

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Winchester primers for starters, Accurate #2 5.0gr, 180gr truncated lead from Acme.

I’m going to lessen the charge and seat a little deeper.

I guess my diatribe was on BF last night.

Standard round for my px4 is 1.123. This will not seat in my apx Centurion barrel. My dummy round that fits is 1.107.

I will go back to 4.8 for a start load and move slowly.
    It’s kind of dicey since Western only lists 175 and 185 bullet loads.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Right now, looking mainly at coated lead.

These:

https://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=213&category=20&secondary=10

Or these:

https://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=416&category=20&secondary=10

Since they are a Brinell hardness of 18, I figure those would be for magnum velocities.

I'm also looking at the softer Brinell 12 bullets for .38 Special plinking loads.

That's where I am so far.

Since I'm mainly going to be doing target shooting with these, I'm trying to figure out if there's any point in going with any kind of jacketed bullet.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Right now, looking mainly at coated lead.

These:

https://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=213&category=20&secondary=10

Or these:

https://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=416&category=20&secondary=10

Since they are a Brinell hardness of 18, I figure those would be for magnum velocities.

I'm also looking at the softer Brinell 12 bullets for .38 Special plinking loads.

That's where I am so far.

Since I'm mainly going to be doing target shooting with these, I'm trying to figure out if there's any point in going with any kind of jacketed bullet.

I know this won't be popular with the 357 Magnum Purists, but I only use 2 projectiles for 357 Magnum. Hornady 158 grn XTP's on the hot loads, and Berry's 158grn plated round nosed bullets on the not quite so hot loads. I only use 357 Magnum brass now because I got tired of adjusting my dies. I do still have a shitload of 38 special brass saved in case I need it someday.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I was also considering that, standardizing on 357 magnum brass.

What kind of load are you doing with the Berry's plated bullets? Are they low end 357 magnum or do they fall down to 38 special pressures?

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I like Lee seating dies. I make a mark with a sharpie for 357 and a mark for 38. This way I can adjust on the fly of need be and still be within a negligible range. The Lee dies dont need tools to adjust the seating depth so it's easy to set. I haven't loaded 38 or 357 for a few years though.

More recently I setup my 223 dies and made marks on the die to each different bullet I was loading. Made it real easy when I ran out of one bullet and loaded the next batch.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I was also considering that, standardizing on 357 magnum brass.

What kind of load are you doing with the Berry's plated bullets? Are they low end 357 magnum or do they fall down to 38 special pressures?
    I don't push them quite as fast as the XTP's, but you can push them faster than plain lead since they're plated. I don't have a chronograph, but according to my manuals, I'm pushing the XTP's around 1,450 fps. I have some really light plated loads for the kids that are running around 800 fps, and then some that get up there around 1200 fps.

But again, I don't have a chronograph, that's what the manuals say.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I'm pushing the XTP's around 1,450 fps. I have some really light plated loads for the kids that are running around 800 fps, and then some that get up there around 1200 fps.

That's pretty much what I'm looking to do. Run some hot loads just because recoil is fun and then run a variety of milder loads for extended target shooting.

For 38/357 I have Acme PC and have smashed them flat with no loss of coating.

That is impressive. PC bullets seem to be the way to go for target work.

Top Bottom