Venture Surplus ad

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    Man what a week. I got my press running again Tuesday but Wednesday I broke the handle... the handle on the lee six pack pro is hollow. Stupid design. See first picture. Last night I cut the handle and was able to get the press running again but didn't load anything. Also ordered the roller handle upgrade kit from Lee for another 40 bucks.

This gave me some time to box up and label some rounds already loaded. See second picture. Currently at 2900 rds this stretch. Still have well over 1k cases and running out of bullets. I might have to buy some from American reloading.

In the down time I did setup the pro4000 for 223 again though. But to run on that press I have to hand prime them all the way I have it setup. Looks like I'm gonna get a forearm workout this weekend!
    934b787e3e0aec96dc50bcff494187f1.jpg
    6a5999e11c9e7adf055cfc02dee68976.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    I bet Lee would replace that handle for free.
    Venture Surplus ad

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    I am in san antonio. I don't know when the last time you checked ammo prices but good luck finding 223 at that price. Let alone 9 and 45. 223 seems to be closer to 40 cents a round. Last time I looked at 9mm on the shelf it was about 13 a box or 26 cents a round. 45 is probably double that.

Start saving you're brass though so when you're ready to start reloading you have it. It's a lot easier than buying brass.

lol I was just going by memory which isn't that great. Maybe those prices are for something else haha.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I bet Lee would replace that handle for free.

Sadly, they won't. Unless I pay to send it back. I ordered the roller handle upgrade though because the ball handle was wearing on my hand.

I will respectfully disagree with RP that it’s not worth it.

The Lee 4-hole turrret press is a good place to start. It’s inexpensive.

You can find components on here at reasonable prices regularly.

308 ammo is about $1.50 per round for the cheapest and goes up to $3 per round. Buying components at today prices we loaded rounds at appx 60 cents per round.

And when you have components you are not shut down in an ammo shortage. I have bought a box of bullets every other month for a while. So when I have to load I have what I need.

I say go for it. I’ve got components up for sale at below retail prices right now.

This is good info as well. The only reason I say under 1k rounds a year isn't worth it is due to the startup cost. I've known a few guys who get in and don't use their equipment more than 2 or 3 times and end up selling it for less than they paid for it. But when you bring hobbies into it, yes, it's a great hobby. And it will also likely cause him to shoot more since he'd likely have more ammo laying around.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    If you have extra time and you want controll over your groups then reloading is great it no longer saves money like it once did. Some will claim it does but they are using high dollar multi stage equipment and have hoards of brass, bullets, primers and powder from long ago. They also load many hundreds of cartridges at a time. Took them a few years or so to repay the cost of their equipment.
    Kinda like owning Snap-On tools.

Coon

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2023
    Montgomery
    Man what a week. I got my press running again Tuesday but Wednesday I broke the handle... the handle on the lee six pack pro is hollow. Stupid design. See first picture. Last night I cut the handle and was able to get the press running again but didn't load anything. Also ordered the roller handle upgrade kit from Lee for another 40 bucks.

This gave me some time to box up and label some rounds already loaded. See second picture. Currently at 2900 rds this stretch. Still have well over 1k cases and running out of bullets. I might have to buy some from American reloading.

In the down time I did setup the pro4000 for 223 again though. But to run on that press I have to hand prime them all the way I have it setup. Looks like I'm gonna get a forearm workout this weekend!
    934b787e3e0aec96dc50bcff494187f1.jpg
    6a5999e11c9e7adf055cfc02dee68976.jpg

Where do you get your boxes? I like the look of the plain white boxes.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Where do you get your boxes? I like the look of the plain white boxes.
    Repackbox.com

I use them for 223 and all my high volume pistol calibers. Some low volume pistol I just make work in other boxes. Like 16x 454 casual will fit in a 357 box laying down. Or 20x 460s&w will fit in a 30-06 box.

Coon

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2023
    Montgomery
    Repackbox.com

I use them for 223 and all my high volume pistol calibers. Some low volume pistol I just make work in other boxes. Like 16x 454 casual will fit in a 357 box laying down. Or 20x 460s&w will fit in a 30-06 box.

Thanks. I'm going to check them out.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    What would your guys advice be to someone who wants to get their feet wet with reloading? I have never even attempted it before. Right now my firearm collection is small. I would be reloading .22lr, 9mm, 5.56, and .45APC. (And hopefully .308 soon). If all the previous pages of this post contain the answer then I can just go back and read all 425 pages. I thought I would check first haha.
    In my opinion, a book that covers the entire reloading process is the best place to start.

As far as Lee goes, I honestly think their new powder measures and safety prime’s are trash. Their scales were already trash. The single stage and turret presses may still be alright, but their kits are certainly not worth buying.

Here4TheChix

All the things...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2022
    Smith County
    If you have extra time and you want controll over your groups then reloading is great it no longer saves money like it once did. Some will claim it does but they are using high dollar multi stage equipment and have hoards of brass, bullets, primers and powder from long ago. They also load many hundreds of cartridges at a time. Took them a few years or so to repay the cost of their equipment.
    Kinda like owning Snap-On tools.
    Using currently overpriced primers I got in the last year I can still save a minimum of $0.06/rd under retail minimum, vs. 9mm retail prices I can find cheap 250 boxes of 9mm 115FMJs on Academy's site, and using pre-panic primers... saving darn near $0.16/rd.

That's ~$6 per 100 to ~$16 per 100, and so, for 1000 $60 to $160, and a hell of a savings that adds up, if you shoot a lot as this family has like ~6 9mm Luger guns (as we have fewer .22lr guns, than 9mm).

5.56/.223 savings is even more, especially with green tips, AND .308, AND 158gr .357 Magnum full-house loads. with pre-panic primers. FYI M855 cartridges (w/SS109's) seem to be retailing for about $0.60-$-0.62/rd right now @ Academy.

Haven't found small rifle, post pandemic, as I haven't needed to buy @Outrageous prices, YET. Large Rifle and Large Pistol we did buy currently overpriced primers, but the math it isn't horrible compared to retail... as these Large primers are new to us...

Of course not counting my time, but time reloading is paying yourself per round.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Well, didn't make them today but got around to testing yesterday. I bought some CCI shotshell capsules for the 38. I ordered some 7-1/2 shot but used a few old shells I had around to make 11 for testing. Pretty cool and satisfied with results. I made a few with 7-1/2 and a few with #8 all loaded over hp-38. I tried 5gr as well as 4.8 and the patterns shrunk an inch or more in diameter with reduced load. I read a bunch about how less is better so I'll probably bring em down to 4.5 for my next test.

I was prompted to make some when my gf was out cutting down mesquites a few weeks ago and had a rattler a foot away from her as she ran the weed eater near the base of one. Snake didn't rattle or move even as the weed eater went right overhead. She dispatched it with a double barrel 12ga but it's just more practical to carry her smith deluxe or air weight.

The capsules held about 95gr of shot and the patterns were similar in both a snub and a trr8. At about 10' they were in a 1' circle. Probably about the best practical range for the shells. Luckily I also recently acquired several hundred RP brass with the double cannelures so I'm guessing they were correct wad cutter brass. The capsules got nice and tight right at a 1.5" length in the 38 brass. 2lb bag of shot was 22$ and should last a while.

I'll post some pattern pics tonight as well as pictures of some finished rounds. Took a little searching to find the capsules but I bought 4 boxes of 50 and that should be all I'll ever need. At $1/shot for cci manufactured ones there's definitely some savings to be had.

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    Well, didn't make them today but got around to testing yesterday. I bought some CCI shotshell capsules for the 38. I ordered some 7-1/2 shot but used a few old shells I had around to make 11 for testing. Pretty cool and satisfied with results. I made a few with 7-1/2 and a few with #8 all loaded over hp-38. I tried 5gr as well as 4.8 and the patterns shrunk an inch or more in diameter with reduced load. I read a bunch about how less is better so I'll probably bring em down to 4.5 for my next test.

I was prompted to make some when my gf was out cutting down mesquites a few weeks ago and had a rattler a foot away from her as she ran the weed eater near the base of one. Snake didn't rattle or move even as the weed eater went right overhead. She dispatched it with a double barrel 12ga but it's just more practical to carry her smith deluxe or air weight.

The capsules held about 95gr of shot and the patterns were similar in both a snub and a trr8. At about 10' they were in a 1' circle. Probably about the best practical range for the shells. Luckily I also recently acquired several hundred RP brass with the double cannelures so I'm guessing they were correct wad cutter brass. The capsules got nice and tight right at a 1.5" length in the 38 brass. 2lb bag of shot was 22$ and should last a while.

I'll post some pattern pics tonight as well as pictures of some finished rounds. Took a little searching to find the capsules but I bought 4 boxes of 50 and that should be all I'll ever need. At $1/shot for cci manufactured ones there's definitely some savings to be had.
    Wow, these capsules are as rare as hens teeth. In case they didn't provide load data I am adding it to this post. Best shot are #9 but some people swear #12.
    One thing to watch for though especially in a lightweight revolvers is that no matter how tight the capsule is in they will migrate and lock up the revolver. Ask me how I know.

Attachments

• shot.pdf
      27.8 KB · Views: 6

Txmark

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Mustang Ridge
    Wow, these capsules are as rare as hens teeth. In case they didn't provide load data I am adding it to this post. Best shot are #9 but some people swear #12.
    One thing to watch for though especially in a lightweight revolvers is that no matter how tight the capsule is in they will migrate and lock up the revolver. Ask me how I know.

There is a guy in North Austin that 3d prints the shot capsules. He sells them on MeWe and eBay. 40/100 capsules
    434188623e26a3a47754dcf9ac15e236.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    FINALLY!!! Moved into a new place in March, and I never fully set up my reloading stuff. Well, enough was enough (plus I’m on vacation this week and I wanna go do some plinking) I annealed, resized, prepped, and have 100 pieces of Lapua once fired 6mm creedmoor brass in the tumbler right now. Gonna top them with some 115 DTACS, and weather permitting, go shoot the 600 yard range Wednesday.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Thanks for adding that load data. I found capsules at kittery trading post. About 28 cents a pop but no one else has them in stock. Those 3d printed ones are a little steep considering the ccis are pretty proven and include the tapered sealing cap that acts as a wad.

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    Thanks for adding that load data. I found capsules at kittery trading post. About 28 cents a pop but no one else has them in stock. Those 3d printed ones are a little steep considering the ccis are pretty proven and include the tapered sealing cap that acts as a wad.
    I have the load data for 44 special and 44 magnum if anyone needs it.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    The9ine
    Top Bottom