What do I need to do about an abandoned gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Boys boys boys... you have to be nice!

Sorry - TxDad an' Glockster have been havin' a lovers' quarrel ever since their New Years Eve party.....

th_supergay.gif

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Couple quick questions. Are you still at the address where he knew you? Do you still have the same Phone Number?. If yes on both, it is his responsibility to pick up his own toys after the game is over. Print out the forum exchanges and file them away. Anyone needing proof of your intent and concern can read it in your postings. Your decision to just clean it and put it away as safely as any of your own toys pending its return to owner at his call are documented and date stamped.

Should you ever wish to fire it, go ahead, you always need to check to make sure it is in operating condition.

Glad you are on the forum and hope you have other topics to post or join in on.

Glitter and Guns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    DFW
    Couple quick questions. Are you still at the address where he knew you? Do you still have the same Phone Number?. If yes on both, it is his responsibility to pick up his own toys after the game is over. Print out the forum exchanges and file them away. Anyone needing proof of your intent and concern can read it in your postings. Your decision to just clean it and put it away as safely as any of your own toys pending its return to owner at his call are documented and date stamped.

Should you ever wish to fire it, go ahead, you always need to check to make sure it is in operating condition.

Glad you are on the forum and hope you have other topics to post or join in on.

Thank you so much for the welcome!

Yes, same address, same phone number. He also knows my parents and has been to their house multiple times and they have been in the same house for 40 some years. Their phone number has been the same for almost 50 years. And he could always find me on FB or my email even if there is some kind of huge life change. In fact, he even has the phone number to my cross country ex husband who will always know where I am because his money comes here. Even if I were to move, he could track me down in less than an hour.

Thanks for the advice. I decided to look at this as if I were him. If it were MY gun - my grandpa's, then my dad's, and then my first gun - and if I had loaned it to someone that I trusted would care for the rifle - someone that would respect the history and importance of the memories attached to the rifle - and if that person knew that I had fallen into some midlife crisis related tour of the miseries of life... well, if I managed to come back from that awful spot and went to my friend and was told that they gave the gun to the police to be destroyed because that friend could no longer locate me - well, I would be pretty upset.

It isn't like it is a car that I keep tagging for him. It isn't like it is a dog that I am dealing with on a daily basis. Or a child that I have no legal rights for. It is just sitting there not even being in the way.

I came here worried that at some point I had a legal obligation to do something with whatever paperwork might be attached to the gun. I now know that there isn't any so my concern was unfounded. I am going to see about having some insurance put on it, just in case something would happen to it while it is in my care. Hopefully at some point he will show up out of the blue all cleaned up and back to his well adjusted old self. If that isn't to be, then I will tell my daughter the stories I know of his grandpa and his father and of him and pass the gun along to her with the stories intact. If I were him that is what I would want done.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    You'll have a hard time insuring a single firearm - nor would it be worth it as a practical matter. If he never comes back for it, you'll be out the cost of the insurance. Take reasonable care of it, keep it as safe as you do the rest of your property, and any other risk is his.

Glitter and Guns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    DFW
    You'll have a hard time insuring a single firearm - nor would it be worth it as a practical matter. If he never comes back for it, you'll be out the cost of the insurance. Take reasonable care of it, keep it as safe as you do the rest of your property, and any other risk is his.

Thanks! you brought to mind the fact that I have a pistol insured completely the wrong way... which leads me to asking a new question as a seperate topic!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Can I not add it on to my homeowners insurance? Come to think of it I have a pistol here in Texas that is still insured on an HO policy in another state... I need to look into that, too. I had always just had a rider on the HO for the pistol. Different procedure here?

Depends on the insurance company. Some will only insure up to a given dollar amount, some require them to be scheduled, others don't - you get my drift. Call and find out. If you DO put the gun on the policy, do NOT tell 'em it belongs to someone else.

But I personally wouldn't spend a dime to insure anything belonging to someone else that they've left behind - because if they DO come back for it, they won't pay for the insurance and you'll be out even more $$$.

Glitter and Guns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    DFW
    Depends on the insurance company. Some will only insure up to a given dollar amount, some require them to be scheduled, others don't - you get my drift. Call and find out. If you DO put the gun on the policy, do NOT tell 'em it belongs to someone else.

But I personally wouldn't spend a dime to insure anything belonging to someone else that they've left behind - because if they DO come back for it, they won't pay for the insurance and you'll be out even more $$$.

Thanks! I went in to edit my post because the new question was so off topic. You totally answered it for me so I won't worry about asking in a different spot. I probably shouldn't worry about insuring it, but back to that whole thing of me wanting all my ducks in a row... If something bad did happen to it, I would feel like I was obligated to pay him the value (really couldn't because the true value is sentimental). I am now wondering who the pistol is registered to... me or the ex. I feel certain that the cross country insurance co wouldn't be all excited to pay out if something happened to it in TX. Glad you said something - I hadn't even thought about it before now.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    CanTex has a good idea in printing this thread as proof of intent. But like others, I think your over thinking the issue.

As a personal favor, I'd ask that you whiteout the part where I admit I can't read. Oh, and this part too.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Thanks! I went in to edit my post because the new question was so off topic. You totally answered it for me so I won't worry about asking in a different spot. I probably shouldn't worry about insuring it, but back to that whole thing of me wanting all my ducks in a row... If something bad did happen to it, I would feel like I was obligated to pay him the value (really couldn't because the true value is sentimental). I am now wondering who the pistol is registered to... me or the ex. I feel certain that the cross country insurance co wouldn't be all excited to pay out if something happened to it in TX. Glad you said something - I hadn't even thought about it before now.

Registered??? Is it some out of state registration? Again, there is NO registration in Texas.

Top Bottom