• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • agdoctor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I work in a large hospital with many, MANY doors. I have ALWAYS left and entered through a staff entrance door near the physicians parking lot. For the last year i have noticed that there is no 30.06 sign.

I finally for my CHL in the mail yesterday and carried to work in the clinic section. i left the building form a different door today to go to another building on the campus for a class and noticed that both leaving and entering through these other doors that there was a legitimate 30.06 sign.

i went back to my regular door, and no sign there. What does the law say, if anything, about this. i suppose i have been notified and should not carry. any thoughts?

AgDr

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    That is VERY specific legal advice you are asking us. I would check an attorney. My first CHL instructor said that he went to some mall through a particular door because it was the only on that didn't post the 30.06 sign. I wouldn't trust that to save my butt.......I'd want somebody with with a couple of degrees on the wall to tell me what is legal.

Hopefully, somebody else will chime in on this.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I think you answered your own question. Texas law is clear, you cannot carry in a hospital, but only if they post 30.06. They're posting 30.06 and I'm guessing at doors where the public will enter?

On the flip side, if you're employed by the hospital, have you checked your employment conditions and does the Hospital address employees carrying?

And 3rd, depending what hospital system, you said "class". Is it a University Medical Center like UTSW? Now carrying falls under carrying on a University campus.

But I agree, if you don't know for sure, and you feel you must carry at work, you need to investigate with your employer and/or a lawyer. Otherwise, it sounds to me like it's a situation where you you could be putting your CHL in jeopardy and you're looking/hoping for a loophole.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Once you went thru the door that was, you received notice. The law does not require that notice be posted at all entrances. Now, entering with your handgun is illegal. The only issue is; are you willing to risk that you can establish you never received notice. You would have to do that in court, after having been arrested and charged.

On the flip side, what are the changes you would be discovered. Personally, I would not carry.

HMFIC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Tx
    Is it worth all the legal ha$$les, family $tress, lo$$ of job.

Does your employee handbook prohibit carry?

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Would it be possible to contact someone in charge and ask that the policy be examined and possibly changed? Never hurts to ask I suppose.

Mark F

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    I think you answered your own question. Texas law is clear, you cannot carry in a hospital, but only if they post 30.06. They're posting 30.06 and I'm guessing at doors where the public will enter?

On the flip side, if you're employed by the hospital, have you checked your employment conditions and does the Hospital address employees carrying?

And 3rd, depending what hospital system, you said "class". Is it a University Medical Center like UTSW? Now carrying falls under carrying on a University campus.

But I agree, if you don't know for sure, and you feel you must carry at work, you need to investigate with your employer and/or a lawyer. Otherwise, it sounds to me like it's a situation where you you could be putting your CHL in jeopardy and you're looking/hoping for a loophole.

I agree. This is very specific and most any advise could get you in lots of trouble. My basic rule is "when in doubt, don't carry". Get some OC pepper spray... or something.

Mark F

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Would it be possible to contact someone in charge and ask that the policy be examined and possibly changed? Never hurts to ask I suppose.

I don't know about that.. often times inquiring about specific policies throws up a "red flag" in little peoples minds. Especially if it involves the stigma of guns.

Top Bottom