• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    Recently I had a request for a Private Lesson from a lady who is a senior citizen. Her hand strength was severely lacking and she had absolutely NO DESIRE to learn to use a semi-automatic pistol.

She had visited a LGS I do a lot of business with. They did the best they could with what they had. She couldn't operate the slide on any of the pistols and ended up purchasing a J FRAME 38 SPL.

Being an novice of above average common sense she made an appointment to see me at my range. It was readily apparent this was going to be a challenge.

The poor lady was extremely recoil sensitive and while she was getting good hits on target; every shot was bruising her hand. Fortunately, I had a few extra handguns in my bag. One of which was my Paw-Paw's old H&R 22lr.

Being of similar size and weight to a standard J Frame she was able to get in some drills without discomfort. The next hurdle was finding something of a little more substance she would not only be able to shoot, but would WANT TO shoot. I was in a pickle and thinking of a 22lr or 22 Mag. Believe me when I tell you PRAYER was involved.

The LGS was willing to work with us and I met her there. A Ruger Single-Six crossed my mind, but it just wasn't a fit with the whole cocking for each shot and the complication of a loading gate, ejector rod, and spare cylinder. Then the clouds parted.

In the used section there was a like new Charter Arms 32 H&R Magnum. The LGS graciously let me take her out back with some 32 S&W Long Wadcutters. A match was made and she thoroughly enjoyed the little gun.

I wish every client I work with would get a Glock, but sometimes ideal won't work.
    Target Sports

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Finding the right "compromise" can be tough.....Well done Sir....

Top Bottom