• ...and so much more!
  • navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I think it depends on the gun and the purpose. Non finicky gun like a lever action or even a bolt that you just want to plink with, any of the bulk packs is fine. IME, some auto loaders have issues with the bulk stuff, but if it's just for plinking, you can usually live with a FTE or so now and again. If you want to blow up squirrels and the like, CCI mini mags or any of the hyper velocity rounds are good. My favorite all around is CCI Mini Mags. Also Aquila makes some interesting loadings from the Super Colibri to the subsonic 60 grain.

RHEAMOND

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    jacksonvill,tx
    You can order them off line i only have about 13 rounds left and it cool to shoot them but do not shoot the at small game unless you really want it cook fast.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    My Henry will shooting anything.

My CZ-452 really likes Wolf Match Target.

My M&P15-22 wants any high-velocity ammo. I've been shooting CCI MiniMags and Federal Auto Match in it, but I've heard that the SuperX RN is more accurate. I'm gonna snag a couple boxes of that at WalMart and see how it does...

On The Border

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My Marlin 60 really loves Federal bulk for plinking and CCI Hollow points for varmints. Aqulia (?) and Wolf work pretty good too, but are hard to come by here on the edge of the free world.
    It misbehaves badly when fed anything Remington. Winchester does a little better, but still I still have more FTF's than I like.

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    My experience with the .22 shows that some shoot great with ammo that will not shoot worth a crap in another. I have a 10-22 build with an 18 in. Green Mountain fluted barrel that shoots 1/4 in groups at 50 yards with Mini Mags and Wolf MT, and does OK with Federal Champion and Target, but will not shoot anything Remington, Winchester, or bulk Federal red box worth a damn...FTF, FTE, and all over the target! However, I also have a stock 10-22 carbine that, while does not shoot consistent 1/4 in groups at 50 yards with any ammo, it consistently shoots 1/2 in. groups with the Mini-mags and Wolf MT. Federals and Aquila SE 36 gr HP give good consistent groups with some fliers, and it fires and cycles just about anything else with decent accuracy. My Walther P22 will not cycle the Aquila SE, anything Winchester or Federal, but spits out bulk Remington Golden Bullet .36 gr HP, Thunderbolt, and Mini-Mags as fast as I can pull the trigger all day long.

dickttx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Fort Worth
    I have a Henry that shoots the CCI CB's very well. I use it to shoot turtles on the ponds. Other ammo, even shorts will glance off the water and go zinging away, but the CB's are so slow that they will go into the water.
    I also have a 617 that will pretty much shoot anything, but likes Fed bulk best. My High Standard Sport King only likes Fed bulk with the long barrel and nothing with the short barrel.
    Other than the CB's, I only buy the bulk ammo that WalMart carries. I am too cheap to buy the high dollar stuff.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I have a ruger mkII that eats the fed bulk all day. But the rem thunderbolt dirties the heck out of it after just 100 rounds. Then the bolt sticks forward and wont close all the way! Have to clean it really good after those.

Smokewagon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    West Texas
    For plinking, anything plated. Non plated, at least in my experience, tends to lead up and cause keyholeing in pistols and revolvers.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    I can suggest what to stay away from, and that's Federal ammo for .22. My brother-in-law gave me two boxes of 500 last year, not to mention I bought another box of 500 in a pinch a couple months ago so it came from a completely different manufacturing lot. That stuff is shit! About 7 or 8 rounds out of every 100 are duds, and the consistency of the ammo is poor. Many ejection problems and jams due to inadequate burn energy on about another 8 to 10 rounds per 100. I've got about 300 rounds to go and will never buy that garbage again.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    I have a couple of 22s and always use Remington Yellow Jackets. Both have FTF with bulk ammo but never miss a beat with the Yellow Jackets.

Owens

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Levelland
    Which ammo? Hmmm. Interesting. I reload as many do for centerfire. One reason is to tailor the ammo to the firearm. Fortunately the ammo manufacturers have a large number of experiments already loaded for us in the .22rf package. In short, there are so many types of .22rf available, try them until you find the one that does best in a particular firearm for a given purpose. Me, I use mainly the Federal bulk packs. Have had no duds out of several thousand rounds. Accuracy acceptable out of a Buckmark.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    I have had some Federal that wouldn't cut the mustard in my AR with the .22 conversion, likewise in my AK-22 made by Armscor, but CCI never fails. Its got to be some of the best ! Semi autos require a little better than el cheapo as if any ammo was cheap today but there are many bolt actions, pumps, lever actions, and single shots that will fire the low velocity ammo. I like the boxes that CCI comes in also, easier to dump a specific number of rounds for faster reloading your .22......

Top Bottom