Venture Surplus ad

what is your opinion on snake bit kits like this?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    anyone here with medical training have an opinion on these?
    Our ranch is 30 miles from a hospital and I want to have some form of first aid in case of a snake bite.

$_35.jpg

There isn't a completely agreed upon first aid treatment method. So many opinions and so many reports that say, suction or no suction.

I remember reading about using a stun gun one time on the bite area. I don't know how that idea ever took off.
    Texas SOT

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Best first aid treatment I've read about was knowing the Long and Lat coordinates of the ranch to give the Careflight pilot.

99taws6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2015
    Growing up around snakes (dad raised them for years) I was always taught the kits work, but it if you have them handy right then and there. Once the venom starts to pump through your body it has left the site where a pump will work. It might remove some extra venom but the damage is already done. As said above getting to ER and known the snakes identity is often your best bet.

MaddogOIF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    From what I've understood, suction has been frowned upon from an expert perspective, because in order to get the results you want you actually have to to cute across the wound. Depending on the victim, the sight of blood, or the pain, can cause the heart rate to to quicken, and therefore the venom to spread. However I'm not sure if that applies to an extraction device.

And stun gun makes no sense to me. The only result I imagine is that it would cauterize the wound before allowing venom to escape.

Last edited:

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Yes, there seems to be some controversy about the effectiveness of the suction method. And a stun gun may do more harm to the victim than good. You should at least have some kind of material to use as a tourniquet. Rubber tubing perhaps. Getting to a hospital emergency room within 4 hours is important in any case.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Getting to the hospital quickly is paramount. The suction devices do not draw out enough venom (if any) to help. The fangs are inside the body when they inject the venom. Suction at best would only pull out something very near the surface. Rather than spend time trying to mess with the kit, beat feet for the hospital.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Here is what the Mayo clinic recommends as first aid for snake bites.

If possible, take these steps while waiting for medical help:

• Remain calm and move beyond the snake's striking distance.
    • Remove jewelry and tight clothing before you start to swell.
    • Position yourself, if possible, so that the bite is at or below the level of your heart.
    • Clean the wound, but don't flush it with water. Cover it with a clean, dry dressing.
    [h=3]Caution[/h]

• Don't use a tourniquet or apply ice.
    • Don't cut the wound or attempt to remove the venom.
    • Don't drink caffeine or alcohol, which could speed the rate at which your body absorbs venom.
    • Don't try to capture the snake. Try to remember its color and shape so that you can describe it, which will help in your treatment.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I found this story that I remembered from a couple of years back. A turkey hunter in Alabama got bit and used this kit.
    The doctor in his case said it saved his life and he virtually had little damage from the bite.

How a $10 Purchase Saved a Man?s Life After He Was Bitten by a Rattlesnake | Video | TheBlaze.com

why would the doctors give the credit to the snake bite kit?

for $10, I think I'm going to have one around. If I can use it while waiting for the VFD, or chopper, or while on the way to the ER myself, I think I will give it a try.
    I don't see a downside to at least trying it as long as it doesn't delay medical treatment

Last edited:

MaddogOIF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I found this story that I remembered from a couple of years back. A turkey hunter in Alabama got bit and used this kit.
    The doctor in his case said it saved his life and he virtually had little damage from the bite.

How a $10 Purchase Saved a Man?s Life After He Was Bitten by a Rattlesnake | Video | TheBlaze.com

why would the doctors give the credit to the snake bite kit?

for $10, I think I'm going to have one around. If I can use it while waiting for the VFD, or chopper, or while on the way to the ER myself, I think I will give it a try.
    I don't see a downside to at least trying it as long as it doesn't delay medical treatment
    Honestly if you don't have to do anything other than pull the plunger I dont see how it can hurt.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX

MetalCutter

Life is too short for cheap cigars!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    The Woodlands, TX
    A family friend who is a ER doctor says the best first aid for a snake bite is a set of car keys. In other words get your unlucky butt to the hospital as quickly as possible. Need to seek his advice if you're located in a remote location without easy access to medical care.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Don't go to rolling plains memorial hospital (Sweetwater) without the snake that did the biting. They won't administer antivenom without positive proof of the snake species.

Not blaming them. Coral snake venom and rattlesnake venom work very differently.
    Wrong antivenom is a sure death sentence.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Smart phone pic...

Yep. These days, that'll work. In days past, I had friends suffer because the ID wasn't available.
    They lived. But it took years for a full recovery.

BTW, the blade and suction kit was all we had in the house growing up. Thank fully, we never had to use it.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Most snake fangs, in North America anyways, will go 7n from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches. Cuts that deep can be nearly as bad and you are unlikely to get much if any venom.
    Most doctors don't, especially those with snake bite experience, recommend against it.

Top Bottom