Venture Surplus ad

What part of hauling ash down an icy interstate is a good idea?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Going to Corpus Monday in stop and go traffic, I was amazed of the folks spinning their damn tires every time they tried to start again. Me? 2nd gear, light on the pedal and no spinning..............
    I know back in the day Fords auto trans would take off in second if selected, how were you able to take off in second now, or was it a manual?

JGA177

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2024
    Austin
    Nobody can drive on 32 degree ice. Basic physics. Coefficient of friction for ice with a layer of water on it is close enough to zero.
    nobody said anything about a layer of water. and 32 degrees is where the phase change occurs. nobody said anything about 32 degree ice either. 25 degree ice will work just fine for training purposes.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I know back in the day Fords auto trans would take off in second if selected, how were you able to take off in second now, or was it a manual?
    My 2011 Expedition did it when placed in 2nd. I believe it did, I had zero problems like the idiots around me. I did live for several years in South Dakota and have lots of experience with ice and snow....maybe it didn't?

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    My 2011 Expedition did it when placed in 2nd. I believe it did, I had zero problems like the idiots around me. I did live for several years in South Dakota and have lots of experience with ice and snow....maybe it didn't?
    Might still.
    Who knows.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    nobody said anything about a layer of water. and 32 degrees is where the phase change occurs. nobody said anything about 32 degree ice either. 25 degree ice will work just fine for training purposes.
    25 degree ice on the roadway will still be black ice due to cars driving on it.

Up north when it has been 15 degrees for a week and there is snow on top of the ice? Sure you can drive on that.

JGA177

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2024
    Austin
    25 degree ice on the roadway will still be black ice due to cars driving on it.

Up north when it has been 15 degrees for a week and there is snow on top of the ice? Sure you can drive on that.
    like @DoubleDuty I've lived up north, I've driven up north (maine, illinois, maryland). I've driven on black ice (more like slipped) that was covered by snow in blizzards as well as uncovered. ice is ice, slick as hell. the point was that you've got people who have NEVER driven on ANY ice and therefore have no knowledge of what the hell can happen when you hit that patch.
    when ice hits, you pretty much stay home. I' more afraid of the other idiots out on the road blowing by at 50mph when it's icing over and everyone else is doing a prudent 20-30mph

JGA177

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2024
    Austin
    Don't people in the northern states also use appropriate tires for the weather.
    for some areas, you have to have Snow tires (tri-peak symbol on tire, iirc). All season "winter tires" won't cut it.
    if you goto Colorado, and rent a car, all the car rental agencies will not rent you a 2wd and you are required to rent a 4wd. they got tired of damaged vehicles and vehicles stuck in the snow from out-of-state renters who don't know how to drive in the winter.

Top Bottom