Target Sports

What piece of range gear helped improve your shooting more than any other?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    What improved my shooting the most? One inch black adhesive stickers.

Wanna improve your shooting almost immediately? Turn those profile and large bullseye targets backwards and put a 1" black dot on the backside where the "X" ring is located. Your groups will shrink instantly.

Flash
    DK Firearms

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Is the shot timer helpful when practicing for competition or something else I am missing?

Adds a level of stress and allows for a quantification of progress or failure. I doubt that will will help with shooting groups, but if you're looking to improve your defensive skills they are great tools.

My biggest improvements and degradation have come from snap caps. When in use them to dry fire routinely my skills stay tuned. When I don't they bleed off like crazy. Its hard to swallow going to the range after weeks of no dry fire.

Rangel

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    Adds a level of stress and allows for a quantification of progress or failure. I doubt that will will help with shooting groups, but if you're looking to improve your defensive skills they are great tools.

My biggest improvements and degradation have come from snap caps. When in use them to dry fire routinely my skills stay tuned. When I don't they bleed off like crazy. Its hard to swallow going to the range after weeks of no dry fire.

Yes I forgot about these. Great for loading randomly into mags to simulate a failure. TAP*RACK*BANG!

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Is the shot timer helpful when practicing for competition or something else I am missing?

It's helpful for measuring speed, maintaining accountability, and pushing one's self to improve. This applies to all things, the difference simply being the manner in which it is utilized. And it's not necessarily just speed. For example, say you know you can shoot a certain group size that you consider acceptable. Benchmark it on the shot timer, and see what speed you can do it at comfortably. Now push yourself a bit. Start pushing a tenth or few tenths of a second faster. Eventually you reach a point where things fall of the tracks, and your groups open up to a level that the shot and your own personal standards might dictate is a bit too large. Now slow it back down, get back to fundamentals and go for accuracy. Then push yourself again, each time keeping the pressure on with either extreme accuracy or speed. That constant expansion or contraction of either speed or accuracy will improve performance, and that general concept applies for just about anything in life if you really think about it. Eventually you will be shooting the same group size as before, or better, and at much faster speeds. There are obvious benefits for many different applications on all sides when you have a greater ability with the fundamentals at a higher rate of speed. Without the shot timer, it would be like auto racing with no speedometer or tach.

hwarang54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2014
    My hands. Learn to control recoil, lock the wrist, control the trigger. Nothing has helped me more

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Rangel

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    Id be mindful that he is trading speed for weapon retention.

maybe, but I never had a problem with my set up. I could hold my bladetech holster upside down, with my xdm 5.25 and a mag loaded to division capacity, and give it a shake without it coming out and still get a shot on target before the buzzer.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    A nickel... on the end of a S&W Model 27. My dad used to make me balance the nickel on top of the gun while practicing DA pulls. He would literally drill me every day until I had the smoothest trigger pull known to man.. really though... I thank my dad for pushing such a maddeningly frustrating exercise upon a 12 year old. So final answer.. a nickel...

Similar thing with me, but it's a dime. Place on the end of the rifle barrel when dry firing, helps trigger pull tremendously with new shooters and reinforcement training with experienced shooters.

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    maybe, but I never had a problem with my set up. I could hold my bladetech holster upside down, with my xdm 5.25 and a mag loaded to division capacity, and give it a shake without it coming out and still get a shot on target before the buzzer.

I'm talking about practical shooting, bringing the gun up like that is a good way to get it taken.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    No piece of range gear has ever helped me improve shooting. Practice of fundamentals has.

Your point isnt lost on me. I spent many hours laying in the grass with a washer balanced on the barrel of my M16 while dry firing.

Let me rephrase the question just for you then. As in my example, that washer helped me improve my fundamentals.

So, what piece of range gear, TXI, has helped you improve your fundamentals.

I hope you aren't such a difficult person in real life. Are you human or computer?

Am I human or am I dancer?

Domo arigato Mr Roboto!

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    your point isnt lost on me. I spent many hours laying in the grass with a washer balanced on the barrel of my m16 while dry firing.

Let me rephrase the question just for you then. As in my example, that washer helped me improve my fundamentals.

So, what piece of range gear, txi, has helped you improve your fundamentals.

I hope you aren't such a difficult person in real life. Are you human or computer?

Am i human or am i dancer?

Domo arigato mr roboto!
    ^lol!^ Hopefully TXI is going to Hicksville, I'd like to know the answer to your question too.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Doubt thee Re many here who think they can spend there way in to good shooting, but having the right range gear/good range gear can make a big difference.

I'm pretty minimal when it comes to handguns. Have to have help carrying crap when it comes to rifles.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Your point isnt lost on me. I spent many hours laying in the grass with a washer balanced on the barrel of my M16 while dry firing.

So, what piece of range gear, TXI, has helped you improve your fundamentals.

Am I human or am I dancer?

Domo arigato Mr Roboto!

I answered the question. None. Unless you consider guns and ammo an appropriate answer. How is that being difficult? Too many people look for some magic gear to make em good shooters. I never used coins, snap caps or anything else.

Perhaps it is because I learned to shoot a revolver. There is a technique with revolvers that make the coin trick unnecessary.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I answered the question. None. Unless you consider guns and ammo an appropriate answer. How is that being difficult? Too many people look for some magic gear to make em good shooters. I never used coins, snap caps or anything else.

Perhaps it is because I learned to shoot a revolver. There is a technique with revolvers that make the coin trick unnecessary.

Are you the best shot you could be? An example of range gear doesn't have to be crazy expensive. Maybe its a target that has helped.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Give it up. Lol he's an awesome shot he doesn't need help.

Not denying that. Dont know the man. If a person is going to deny there are things you can do or even things you could buy (gasp!) or improvise, I dont know if they look at training the same way as I do.

Im not a gear queer (or any other kind!). I respect his sentiment but I find it overly simplistic.

If TXI is a high level shooter, great. Why not examine what could get you to the next step? Is the answer always just more range time and more rounds down range? I dont think so.

Top Bottom