Join TexasGunTalk

What should I do when buying firearm from a remote party?

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by clawmarks, May 23, 2020 at 11:20 AM.

1. clawmarks

clawmarks Member

Apr 21, 2020
    austin, tx
    Found something that I like enough to consider purchasing remotely (same state, but too far to drive).
    What can I do in order to best protect myself from a fraud? I know that 100% is probably not achievable, but how I wonder what are the best practices to mitigate the risk.

I searched the forum and couldn't find a current answer so I figured I'd better ask then regret later that I didn't...

Thanks

2. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Individual, or dealer?

3. Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Maybe pass on it and find something locally. What is the seller wanting to do? You send money, he sends the firearm to an FFL?

4. grumper

grumper TGT Addict

Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Pay with a credit card if possible. Call the dude and chat about the item. If anything seems off or seller won't answer questions, walk away.

If it's an expensive purchase drive over there and inspect the goods.

Southpaw and seeker_two like this.
  5. Mowingmaniac 24/7

Mowingmaniac 24/7 TGT Addict

Nov 7, 2015
    Be sure he sends you a signed, Bill of Sale!

just kidding...

6. clawmarks

clawmarks Member

Apr 21, 2020
    austin, tx
    Individual, originally he said we'll ship to ffl, I called him and he said he can ship directly to me, this doesn't sound right (can you actually do that?) - I'm backing off.

Driving there isn't an option.

Cannot find this item in my area, or else I'd do that to begin with.

Southpaw and seeker_two like this.
  7. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    What is the item?

8. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Member

Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    It is perfectly legal to ship a firearm (long gun or handgun) to an individual in your own state. See the BATFE FAQs on their web site.

majormadmax likes this.
  9. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015
    High risk.

I have purchased things from individuals where I mailed them a payment, then they shipped the gun. Made sure the payment had tracking. But only when they were from a forum like this and they had a number of positive selling transactions (and no negatives) in their trading profile and a long history on the forum.

Maybe you pick an FFL in his town. Talk to the FFL, follow up with email confirming he will hand over the payment after he inspects the gun. Put your criteria for acceptance in the email (detailed, for both of your sakes). Then he can ship to your local FFL once he confirms your conditions have been met.

Just have to hope the FFL you pick is not the seller's brother-in-law.

10. rotor

rotor Active Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Wichita Falls
    Gun Digest has a very complete article on this and how to do it

https://gundigest.com/buying-selling-guns-online

I believe as long as it is in state that you don't have to go through a FFL according to this article. How to prevent fraud is another story and I personally would not do it.

Charlie likes this.