Target Sports

What to do with rounds that fail to fire?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    How so? I pull bullets from live rounds and have for years. The kenetic bullet puller I have is set up to do that. I thought they all were. Nothing touches the primer. 'Splain please>

I guess it could go off if you hit the puller head on the concrete .............. primer first!

I had one with a 40sw that the primer had been dented by the firing pin, twice. Went home and put it in the hammer, and third snack, the powder ignited. It didnt do much, but it still went off. Im guessing the anvil was loose, and/ didnt hit priming conpound when in the gun.
    ARJ Defense ad

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Just hit it again, and fix your light strike problem :)

This, generally. Every once in a while I'll get a round that will take a second strike to set it off. Could be the primer wasn't fully seated, and the first strike seated it. Also it could be a thicker primer cup.

That's with new ammo. If it's older surplus, sometimes they just don't go bang period, or they'll hang fire (click ... boom) <---- that's why you don't automatically open the breach.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Put them in a cup of water for a few days and throw them away. The few light prime strikes I have had went off on the second try. If they didn't I would just toss them out on the range. You shouldn't throw away live rounds in the trash.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Anything is possible, but I've never had any go off out of the many bullets that I've pulled for various reasons with a kinetic puller (duds, OAL too short, old surplus, etc).

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Pull the bullet with pliers, dump the powder, drop a match in the dumped powder, grin like a ten year old pyro at the puff of smoke.

I've never seen a "puff of smoke" from smokeless powder, and I've burned plenty of it. It burns more like a sparkler. But I do agree with your "grin like a 10 yr old pyro". :green:

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I pull the dud apart with a kinetic bullet puller.
    Pop out the bad primer.
    Re-prime with a fresh primer and reload the powder and bullet.
    If its a rimfire I just keep rotating the cartridge in the chamber until it goes off.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If its a rimfire I just keep rotating the cartridge in the chamber until it goes off.
    That doesn't always work.
    PrimerHits_zps65596808.jpg

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    True.

When that happens the bullet get pried off the case.
    Bullet goes into the lead collection bucket for later re-melt into other bullets.
    The brass gets mashed and put in the scrap brass bucket for later taking to scrap yard for $$$$.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I toss all my defective ammo in a pit and cover it up with dirt.

Five thousand years from now, some post modern archeologist will dig it up and wonder why we had such crude weapons and ammo.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    For many years, most of my "dud" ammo ended up in a cigar box in my home office. When I moved, I just left the box in the oven for the landlord. UNlit oven. But I have no doubt he had to change after seeing what was in the box. He was an anti gun, turd liberal anyhow. Lately, I've been leaving them out in the range yard area, in the dud box, or just tossing 'em in the trash.

Top Bottom