What type of ammo works best in a 3in 1911

tomhall75

Apr 30, 2008
Fort Worth
I have the Kimber ultra carry 2 and currently have hydroshoks in it. I've heard some arguments for carrying ball instead of HP and vice versa. Any suggestions guys?

htxred

Apr 6, 2008
inner loop houston
i think when it comes to .45acp it doesnt matter, i know a few people who carry ball over JHP.. whatever will feed reliably is wha tyou want to carry.

i personally carried winchester ranger 230gr JHP +P

Texas1911

TGT Addict
May 29, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm going to have to rename this forum the Kimber Ultra Carry 2 Pistol Forum, lol.

My Kimber did not like Corbon JHP's, the nose was a little too blunt. It would feed, but you had to be rough with it. I loaded 2 - 3 JHPs then FMJs for the rest of the mag.

mac79912

Well-Known
BANNED!!!
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah my Kimber pro ten was picky about JHP but a ramp polish and getting the barrel throated fixed it fast.No problems now.Can we call this site "Kimber gun talk".

tomhall75

Apr 30, 2008
Fort Worth
Texas1911, they're just so darn nice. What else're you packin'? I've gotten to shoot only a few. I've tried the springfield 1911 a1 5 in barrell, the springfield emp 9,really fun, a S&W 357 with a 6 in barrell, fun, a 460 revolver somebody let me try a couple of rounds out of, ouch, a bersa thunder 380, a ruger .45 not sure what model, and a kel tec .380, tiny little thing. Of all of them, the kimber is my fav. What's yours?

JKTex

Well-Known
Mar 11, 2008
DFW, North Texas
i hated my pro carry. accurate gun, hurt to shoot. (brass in my face)
Easy fix with a quick tune. Or, the right recoil spring, the Wolff XP that Kimber recommends but won't put in them from the factory. Mines great now!!

As far as what ammo, you should carry what ammo fits your need, and what works on the gun. A HP of some kind I'm guessing is what fits your need, assuming it's for defense. From there, shoot what the gun will eat.

Ultras can be more picky, but if yours isn't, shoot what you like.

FIREDAVIS

Mar 7, 2008
Kingwood, Tx
Mine didnt want to feed HP's either. After I got it back from kimber it feeds anything I put in it. Gold Sabers , Hornady, hydra-shok's, and gold dots. I tested a clip full of every type of hollow point I could find.

PhilR

Apr 5, 2008
Trophy Club, Texas
I hope I don't make you guys here in the Kimber Forum :) mad, buttttttttttt, with the prices that Kimbers bring why would it be necessary to replace springs, polish ramps, throat it or send it back to the factory to get them to shoot defense loads (HP's). I would think a gun with the name "Ultra Carry" would be ready to run right out of the box.

Help me out here guys and easy on the flamethrower. :D

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads