• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noskilz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    Houston
    In July, the Lousiana Governor signed into law HB 195 which prevents the use of CASH when anyone buys or sell second hand goods. SERIOUSLY! I am not making this up and this is not just some crack-pot bill some idiot has proposed. This travesty has been signed. And in Louisiana of all places.

The law supposedly was intended to crack down on copper thieves selling stolen copper and such in untraceable transactions. However, this law applies to any and every sale made by a private individuals, whether selling your lawnmower to your neighbor, your watch to your co-worker, or your gun to a legal purchaser, if you are being paid with cash money.

These folks are IDIOTS! I truly suspect that there were only a few people aware of this language in the bill, as it was probably slipped in at the last minute without discussion. But seriously, Louisiana has just made it illegal for private citizens to sell anything they own to anyone else and get paid in cash.

This is such an egregious offense against the Constitutional rights of Louisianans its almost surreal. The La. Govt. has enacted legislation requiring that all sales (of anything) not made by a licensed retailer must now be able to be tracked by the State.

:ohnoes: :banghead: :ohnoes: :banghead::ohnoes:
    Lynx Defense

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    "THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS PUBLIC AND PRIVATE"

Says that on the front of everyone I remember seeing. Hard to dispute this. Lets see how it holds up in court.

I understand they think they have good intentions, but seriously this is a little too much.

DMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Navasota
    "THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS PUBLIC AND PRIVATE"

Says that on the front of everyone I remember seeing. Hard to dispute this. Lets see how it holds up in court.

I understand they think they have good intentions, but seriously this is a little too much.

Read the top of the note first.

"FEDERAL RESERVE NOTE" this is not a dollar, just a "NOTE" with the value of a dollar.

Now consider what the word "DEBT" means legally. It is my understanding that there is no legal debt when exchanging goods for federal reserve notes.
    Therefore there is no right to use them for anything other than tax debt to the government.
    Just because we use them as dollars dose not make them dollars.

Fire retardant suit on now, so burn me down.

DMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Navasota
    The state government can't outlaw the use of legal tender issued by the Federal government.

Louisiana and thinking in the same sentence? Really?
    Read my post above yours. FEDERAL RESERVE NOTES are legal tender for your debt to the government. BUT they are NOT money or a dollar.

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    Still think the "all debts public and private" make it still good. It doesnt seem logical that the gov would make the dollar only honorable to give right back to the government.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    We all know what ''legal tender notes'' were intended for, sounds like stupid to me. I'm betting most will ignore this law.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Read the top of the note first.

"FEDERAL RESERVE NOTE" this is not a dollar, just a "NOTE" with the value of a dollar.

Now consider what the word "DEBT" means legally. It is my understanding that there is no legal debt when exchanging goods for federal reserve notes.
    Therefore there is no right to use them for anything other than tax debt to the government.
    Just because we use them as dollars dose not make them dollars.

Fire retardant suit on now, so burn me down.

Not you're getting all technical. We can have philosophical debates all day, but without competing currency or commodity backing it's just fancy paper anyway. In the real world we use it as dollars.

The government simply does not have the authority to pass such laws.

....It doesnt seem logical that the gov would make the dollar only honorable to give right back to the government.

I thought that's all they do. Stinkin' IRS.

DMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Navasota
    We will see how it works out in the courts. I still KNOW that federal reserve notes are not constitutional money. So there are no rights attached to their use only privileges that are slipping away.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    We will see how it works out in the courts. I still KNOW that federal reserve notes are not constitutional money. So there are no rights attached to their use only privileges that are slipping away.

I get your constitutional money comment. The Federal Reserve shouldn't exist at all. The whole concept of a centralized banking monopoly is not constitutional. I have a gigantic list of things that aren't "constitutional" but still happen every day. Its the reality we live in that government doesn't respect (nor even understand many times) its own rules.

Give it time. The whole monetary system will require a do-over anyway. It's inevitable because the current design is unsustainable.

noskilz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    Houston
    I'm hoping that most of the Louisiana legislators will realize how stupid this bill is and enact legislation repealing it as soon as possible. I'm not against doing something to crack down on copper thieves. Hell, copper thieves ruined the little "week-end use only" adjunct YMCA building near me. But there has to be a smarter and more narrowly tailored way to deal with this problem than enacting a law that everyone needs to ignore to go about their normal lives.

DMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Navasota
    I get your constitutional money comment. The Federal Reserve shouldn't exist at all. The whole concept of a centralized banking monopoly is not constitutional. I have a gigantic list of things that aren't "constitutional" but still happen every day. Its the reality we live in that government doesn't respect (nor even understand many times) its own rules.

Give it time. The whole monetary system will require a do-over anyway. It's inevitable because the current design is unsustainable.

There is a reason they get away with the unconstitutional BS, but that would be a topic for another thread.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I would think a federal Judge will put an injunction on this law and it will never go into effect. What are they gonna do have the LA DPS go into a yard sale
    and arrest a little old lady because she took two quarters for a used book.

DMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Navasota
    I would think a federal Judge will put an injunction on this law and it will never go into effect. What are they gonna do have the LA DPS go into a yard sale
    Well they did go door to door and take guns from law obeying subjects! Why not detain granny?

DMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Navasota

On what grounds do you think they will stop it? This is a real question I am serious.

Top Bottom