• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Navasota
    Wasnt this during Hurricane Katrina? They went in an open and unoccupied house to confiscate guns?

Mater of fact they did one better, they forced their way in to an old ladies house and took her gun and roughed her up a little too. You can still find the video on you tube.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    In July, the Lousiana Governor signed into law HB 195 which prevents the use of CASH when anyone buys or sell second hand goods. SERIOUSLY! I am not making this up and this is not just some crack-pot bill some idiot has proposed. This travesty has been signed. And in Louisiana of all places.

The law supposedly was intended to crack down on copper thieves selling stolen copper and such in untraceable transactions. However, this law applies to any and every sale made by a private individuals, whether selling your lawnmower to your neighbor, your watch to your co-worker, or your gun to a legal purchaser, if you are being paid with cash money.

These folks are IDIOTS! I truly suspect that there were only a few people aware of this language in the bill, as it was probably slipped in at the last minute without discussion. But seriously, Louisiana has just made it illegal for private citizens to sell anything they own to anyone else and get paid in cash.

This is such an egregious offense against the Constitutional rights of Louisianans its almost surreal. The La. Govt. has enacted legislation requiring that all sales (of anything) not made by a licensed retailer must now be able to be tracked by the State.

:ohnoes: :banghead: :ohnoes: :banghead::ohnoes:

Have you actually READ the law. The parts in your post I placed in red are not true.

Go read the bill, including the definitions.

DMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Navasota
    Have you actually READ the law. The parts in your post I placed in red are not true.

Go read the bill, including the definitions.

txinvestigator,
    I have read many of your post and have found you to be in good judgement, BUT HAVE YOU READ THIS LAW? I have made it half way through and find it quite disturbing.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    txinvestigator,
    I have read many of your post and have found you to be in good judgement, BUT HAVE YOU READ THIS LAW? I have made it half way through and find it quite disturbing.

You know I did. Everything I pointed out in red in the OP is incorrect. This bill does not affect private party sales between individuals.

The "cannot use cash" for secondhand dealers is another matter that I have yet to comment on.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    That's not surprising, really. Crazy thinking is the norm in places where they date their close relatives. The genetic chaos that results makes stuff like this happen.

Flash

noskilz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    Houston
    You got me Tex. I stand corrected. Here is exact language from the bill which was signed by Governor Jindal per the release from the Governor's office on July 6, 2011:

§1861. "Secondhand dealer" defined - A.(1) Every person in this state engaged in the business of buying, selling, trading in, or otherwise acquiring or disposing of . . . used or secondhand property, . . . Anyone, other than a nonprofit entity, who buys, sells, trades in, or otherwise acquires or disposes of . . . used or secondhand property more frequently than once per month from any other person, other than a nonprofit entity, shall be deemed as being engaged in the business of a secondhand dealer.

§1864.3. Payment by check or money order required – A secondhand dealer shall not enter into any cash transactions in payment for the purchase of . . . used or secondhand property. Payment shall be made in the form of check, electronic transfers, or money order issued to the seller of the . . . used or secondhand property and made payable to the name and address of the seller. All payments made by check, electronic transfers, or money order shall be reported separately in the daily reports required by R.S. 37:1866.

Interpretation: Every person who buys or sells any secondhand property more than once a month is a “secondhand dealer.” Heads up here: THIS INCLUDES PRIVATE PERSONS! When the Bill says "Every person" and "Anyone" it applies to individuals too.

Interpretation: Anyone who buys or sell any secondhand property more than once a month cannot use cash, but must pay or be paid by check, money order, or electronic transfer and report it to the government.

The only entities or persons excluded from this monstrosity are "nonprofit entities." I assume this is to protect the good people who work and shop at Goodwill and the Salvation Army stores.

So, I guess Louisiana's citizens can use cash for the first purchase and/or sale of the month, but not for any other. I am so much more comforted now that the actual language of the bill has been reviewed.

Let's hope no one in Louisana who wants to buy or trade a used gun shops at garage sales or (for profit) secondhand shops or uses Craig's List or E-Bay. They're screwed. [And can you imagine if you actually held a garage sale and sold off some of your stuff. Maybe if you had 36 sales of trinkets then you'd be unable to buy or sell a used gun and use cash for the next 36 months. Who knows?]

Top Bottom