• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yimpyomp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2014
    Hi everyone I'm looking for some clarification on what will classify a knife as double edged or a dagger. For example the benchmade adamas fixed, would the serrations on the spine make it be classified as double edged?
    Texas SOT

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    it depends on what the definition of "is" is.

ok, seriously, that knife , I think is only a single bevel. Any dagger would have to be a double bevel with two ground edges.
    That is my jailhouse lawer interpretation. No way the Adamas would be a double edged knife legally IMHO

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    A dagger is considered a knife with two sharpened edges, characteristically designed for thrusting. The thrust as primary design is key as we see knives with zero edges also considered illegal in TX (eg stilettoes etc) as they are weapons designed for the trust.

The Benchmade Adamas has a second edge that is serrated for use as a saw, not for stabbing things. However, if the bit of the spine between the saw and tip is sharpened it may be considered a dagger by the courts (the second sharpened edge has no specified minimum length). To play it safe you could grind down this bit.

benchmade-375-.jpg

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    A dagger is considered a knife with two sharpened edges, characteristically designed for thrusting. The thrust as primary design is key as we see knives with zero edges also considered illegal in TX (eg stilettoes etc) as they are weapons designed for the trust.

The Benchmade Adamas has a second edge that is serrated for use as a saw, not for stabbing things. However, if the bit of the spine between the saw and tip is sharpened it may be considered a dagger by the courts (the second sharpened edge has no specified minimum length). To play it safe you could grind down this bit.

View attachment 33181

Your first concern is what Joe Cop will say, measure and decide if your going in. I have a pusher that was legal in a evil dark blue state but is illegal in Texas. Not illegal to "own" but illegal to "carry".

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Your first concern is what Joe Cop will say, measure and decide if your going in. I have a pusher that was legal in a evil dark blue state but is illegal in Texas. Not illegal to "own" but illegal to "carry".

If you're responding to my post, I don't understand what point you're attempting to make.

yimpyomp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2014
    I did assume that, and I thought asking here would give me a good idea as to whether or not it would be seen as illegal or not

Top Bottom