Genuine James Avery.

Charm-793x526.jpg

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Why are the buns always COLD on a Whataburger? They are nice & WARM on a Dan's burger!

LOCKHART,

That's a question I can answer. = Whataburger was sold to a huge, UNCARING, corporation (that doesn't want to be bothered by such things as the HB joints once did.) by the Tex-Mex family that once owned the company.
    YEP, "in the days of yore" WB buttered/toasted their buns on the grill AND ground their beef fresh several times a day, too.

I'm old enough to remember when WB only sold HB/CB, potato chips & bottled soft drinks.
    (a DOUBLE-DOUBLE with chips was a BUCK. = ALL that I could eat as a "wet behind the ears kid", too, with a DP.)

Their place at 91st & Seawall on Galveston Island sold their drinks out of a washtub of crushed ice.

yours, satx

Last edited:

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    LOL! I like my hamburger BUNS warm! I knew Dan Junk, and he and his family were and are, nice folks. Although Dan is gone, and maybe Francis too, they still make the best greasy old time burger in Austin & Buda!

dennisz

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Pipe Creek, TX (Hill Country)
    LOCKHART,

That's a question I can answer. = Whataburger was sold to a huge, UNCARING, corporation (that doesn't want to be bothered by such things as the HB joints once did.) by the Tex-Mex family that once owned the company.
    YEP, "in the days of yore" WB buttered/toasted their buns on the grill AND ground their beef fresh several times a day, too.

I'm old enough to remember when WB only sold HB/CB, potato chips & bottled soft drinks.
    (a DOUBLE-DOUBLE with chips was a BUCK. = ALL that I could eat as a "wet behind the ears kid", too, with a DP.)

Their place at 91st & Seawall on Galveston Island sold their drinks out of a washtub of crushed ice.

yours, satx

Everything I can find says Whataburger is still family owned and operated, where did you find it was sold to a Huge, uncaring corporation?

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Everything I can find says Whataburger is still family owned and operated, where did you find it was sold to a Huge, uncaring corporation?

dennisz,

IF what you say is correct, someone should tell THE SAN ANTONIO EXPRESS NEWS, which about 5 years ago reported that WB had been sold to a NYC corporation.
    (It was about that time that the quality of their burgers started going downhill.)

yours, satx

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Whataburger is privately owned with the 2nd generation of Dobsons in leadership positions. What is not publicly known is the composition of voting shares, other than the largest shareholder contingent is the Dobson family. There are currently 25 franchisees that operate the 800+ restaurants.

The corporate side conducts business development and brand operation. There is a feeling among certain corporate employees that the span of control among the franchisees is too great and individual store operation is too highly variable compared to the expected performance. For example, the expectation for drive thru operations is 4 minutes from order to delivery. If you’ve ever sat in line for 20 mins at the drive thru, what you’re experiencing is the staff manually processing your order and waiting to actually enter the order until delivery can be assured at, or close to, 4 mins or less. This results in in-store patrons being prioritized over drive thru. If you’ve ever had the in-store counter help take your order, leave the register and then come back to finish the order and charge you for your meal, you’ve seen this in action.

Source: my brother in law who, up until 10 months ago, was the regional director of operations for WB in NE Texas, Arkansas, and Oklahoma.

TexasFlash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    I personally don't view SA Express News as a necessarily "known or neutral source", especially when no link to article is provided.. All sources I've checked, still indicate family owned with Tom Dobson listed as Chairman of the Board. Texas company, Texas roots, with HQ in San Antonio (moved from Corpus).
    I'm a big fan, for many years, and haven't noticed quality slipping. IMHO, great value, good product.
    YMMV
    Dave

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    No; I’ve also been known to trust Snopes too!
    busykngt,

Given that the FEC records indicate that the owners/senior management of "snopes" is filled with far left DIMocRATS, I trust NOTHING that "snopes" says about politics/public affairs (or anything that is at all "controversial"), which cannot be independently verified from neutral sources of KNOWN honesty & a reputation for fairness.

yours, satx.

Top Bottom