• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    I really enjoy reloading for my 9mm and the 40 S&W.
    So far I have tested 115, 124, 147 in RN, FN, HP and XTP’s and 155, 165 and 180 in the following powders:

AutoComp meters bad
    Bluedot un burnt powder and flashes
    Bullseye
    Clays my favorite for the 40 S&W
    Power Pistol
    W-231 meters bad
    Unique
    700X

The Winchester powders I seem to have a problem metering through my Lee Powder Measure. So can you guys think of another powder for both calibers I have not tried out yet. I can think of Titegroup and I have never seen Vihatvuori in the local stores.
    Target Sports

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Titegroup ... by far.

3.3 gr. - 147 FMJ / Plated
    3.8 gr. - 124 FMJ
    4.4 gr. - 115 FMJ

1.135 - 1.150" OAL

Don't push plated bullets fast with this powder, I had alot of shotgunning. Besides, you can buy FMJs for less than you can get the plateds for these days.

robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    Thanks Alan. I will try that powder out next. Let me know if you want to go to ARC next week if you want to chrono and you can bring a friend or two.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    HP38 is what I use for 9mm meters perfect and is pretty clean. The -dot powders suck in my opinion... Win 231 and wsf also have worked for me.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    A BIG +1 for titegroup. Don't know how it meters because I handload with it but performance wise it is very consistent as far as accuracy and velocity. I got some ramshot silhouette(AKA winchester action pistol) but haven't loaded it up, so can't recommend it just yet.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    There are seemingle as many gunpowders as there are beers and soft drinks...Everybody seems to have a favorite....There is no Dos Equies, Corona, or Modelo
    gunpowders from warring Mexico so I stick to Bullseye gunpowder as I have for over fifty years....I have used 2400 in Magnum calibers but am not packing magnums or playing with them presently....Just the often contested concerning "which is best" .45s and 9mms......Oh, I prefer .45Long Colt to .45ACP but my
    .45 auto uses ACP so that is the main character....

Rifleman55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    I use 231 for 45acp, I have used unique and aa5 also, I like 231 the best. Since I don't use a Lee powder measure I don't have problems metering it. I load all of my pistol ammo on a Dillon SDB.

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    WSF works good for both 9mm and .40 loads. Meters well in my LNL AP. WST works well in 9mm but not a lot of published data available (4.0 gr under 130 BBI runs about 135 PF). Also works well as a minor power factor load in .40 at around 3.8 gr @ 1.135 OAL. Not too good for major power factors; you can reach pressure spikes pretty quickly.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I'm not a fan of Titegroup. Couldn't get consistent loads because you use such a small amount. Caveat: I only tried it in .45 ACP, not .40 or 9 mm.

In 40 S&W, there is no better powder than Longshot! But use the bottom end of the loading range, particularly if you're using plated bullets. It gets great velocity without pressure problems. I've loaded at the upper end of the range and still didn't have pressure problems, but just didn't need that velocity. With 180 g FMJ, a load of about 6.6 grains will match Win. White Box.

I don't load 9 mm anymore, but when I did I was loading for a Glock 17 and it was VERY particular about loads so I experimented a lot. The best I found was PowerPistol. Alliant brags that PowerPistol is what they are using for military loads and they've sold a lot for that the past few years.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Yeah, it's great stuff. My neighbor loaded near the high end and used plated bullets. They just shredded coming out of the pistol. Then, he listened to me and loaded Longshot at the low end of the range and the end result was great. I've experimented with the whole range using jacketed bullets and had no pressure or accuracy problems. But, again, I recommend using the lower end of the range for target loads.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I'm partial to Winchester 231.

It meters perfectly in my RCBS & Lee powder measures , and burns clean.

On average, I only notice a +/- .1 grain variation between powder throws.

The RCBS has a lot of "slop," and the Lee is sensitive to how well the powder drum is set (if not adjusted correctly, it will spill ball powder all over your bench).

If you like flake or stick powders, it is, IMHO, better to weigh every charge and load by hand.

Once I discovered "ball" powders for both rifle and pistol, I'll never go back, except to burn up what stick and flake powders I have left on hand.

Be well.

Top Bottom