• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    What's the most quiet .22 ammo? Hypothetically, if you were to shoot a pest without a suppressor, which ammo would you choose?

I was leaning towards CCI or Aguila.
    Capitol Armory ad

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    The Aguila Super Colibri is fairly quiet, though I'm not sure how the slug itself performs. I can vouch for the CCI Quiet-22 stuff though. No ear protection required, fairly accurate (minute of beer bottle out to 50 yards), and the hollow-point slug does a number on critters even at ~700 FPS.

First time I shot the CCI stuff, the report was so quiet I thought the round was a dud. No issue but the expected short-stroke though - bolt of my 10/22 didn't even cycle far enough to pull the spent case from the chamber. If anything the sound of the bolt cycling was louder than the shot.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I use the Aquila rounds. Those Super Colibri rounds sound like a pellet gun. Fairly accurate too. My BIL has killed a hundred squirrels with that bullet.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    LOL. Sometimes you can. My squirrel race course is too close usually, but on longer shots I have seen it. Good call!

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Come to think of it, I don't think what I was shooting were those Super Colibri rounds. They were just the Aquila Colibri (I bought them long ago). If memory serves me correctly they were listed as just over 200 fps. Extremely quiet but probably not too deadly on even small critters! :green:

(They would kill a beer can though!)

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    22 cb caps

Those are good, I have also had good luck with CCI .22 CB Longs. I shoot them in the house and the just about the only thing you hear is the clang when it hits the steel target.

edited to add, same power (or lack of it) as the CB caps. However, they reliability function in bolt, slide, and lever action rifles designed for .22 LR. Good for semi-autos as well if you don't mind cycling the action each time.

IMG_6313.jpg

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have used the CB shorts, longs, and Aguilla super Colibre.

The Aguilla are by far the quietest. But the range will be pretty low.

I'm curious now, so when I get a chance I will run the Aguilla and CB shorts over the chrony and see what the velocities are out if different barrel lengths.

For critters, I would bet the CBs will have a much better kill ratio than the Aguilla. Sound is still minimal, especially if you have an older .22 with a long barrel.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Ran out to Academy and they were sold out of almost all .22 period. I bought the last box of Winchester 29gr 770fps. I've got a raccoon that's been getting into my wife's garden.

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have used the CB shorts, longs, and Aguilla super Colibre.

The Aguilla are by far the quietest. But the range will be pretty low.

I'm curious now, so when I get a chance I will run the Aguilla and CB shorts over the chrony and see what the velocities are out if different barrel lengths.

For critters, I would bet the CBs will have a much better kill ratio than the Aguilla. Sound is still minimal, especially if you have an older .22 with a long barrel.

I'm shooting the Super Colibris from a Henry Lever gun. Scope sighted at 40 ft. Very accurate, and deadly, even if its not a head shot, on squirrels.

How's that for scientific? lol

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'm shooting the Super Colibris from a Henry Lever gun. Scope sighted at 40 ft. Very accurate, and deadly, even if its not a head shot, on squirrels.

How's that for scientific? lol

That's my kind of science!

THE LAREDOAN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2013
    LAREDO
    depends on the size of the pest...but for "big game" like a racoon I use the cb short or CCI quiet ....the CCI quiet cycles perfectly on my Sig 522 and the noise is not louder than a pellet gun.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I find the pellet gun comparison interesting.

Not that it's bad, but because the huge amount of variation in the report of pellet guns.

Top Bottom