• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chopper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    east tx
    OK, so after owning one now I dont understand the hype over the glock safe-action trigger.
    Whats the real reason for the little blade on the trigger? Seems to me doesnt matter if its there or not with the rule of keep your finger off the trigger.
    Is there some hidden reason for it that I am not understanding?
    Hurley's Gold

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    It would appear that way, and although I can't say it is fool proof, it does seem it works. I've got a cheap-o spring trigger pull gauge, and it takes a lot of frigging around to get it to activate the Glock trigger.

But, no matter what the "safety" is you should never trust it.

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    The term Safe Action doesn't apply only to the little blade on the trigger. The striker on the gun is not fully cocked, it requires a little more movement rearward when the trigger is pulled to fire. So it is not a single or double action pull but in between, what Glock has called a "safe action."
    See this animation:
    Sniperworld.com Glock resource

Glock's explanation of the "safe action"
    GLOCK

The little blade helps keep the gun from firing if the gun is dropped or the edge of the trigger accidentally catches on something. Obviously it will not stop the gun from firing if the trigger is depressed from the center but can stop some unwanted discharges.

chopper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    east tx
    the trigger safety prevents inadvertent firing by lateral forces on the trigger.
    which means rearward travel of the trigger. Which means the "trigger saftey" only stops the trigger from moving which is also accomplished by not putting your finger on the trigger untill you are ready to start the travel of the trigger, hence the glock motto of "keep your finger off the trigger" .
    remove the "little blade" and nothing about the funtion of the gun changes.
    I am starting to think the little blade is not much more than slick marketing to make people feel better about no external saftey on the glock.

The reason I started asking is after shooting an extended range session the thin edge of the little blade becomes uncomfortable. Being use to a 1911 style trigger which is much better feeling to my trigger finger, it makes me wonder if a little wider of flatter edge on the blade would be worth exploring.

chopper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    east tx
    The term Safe Action doesn't apply only to the little blade on the trigger. The striker on the gun is not fully cocked, it requires a little more movement rearward when the trigger is pulled to fire. So it is not a single or double action pull but in between, what Glock has called a "safe action."
    See this animation:
    Sniperworld.com Glock resource

Glock's explanation of the "safe action"
    GLOCK

The little blade helps keep the gun from firing if the gun is dropped or the edge of the trigger accidentally catches on something. Obviously it will not stop the gun from firing if the trigger is depressed from the center but can stop some unwanted discharges.

DROP SAFETY
    In the line of duty it may happen that a loaded pistol is dropped on the floor. Contrary to conventional pistols, the GLOCK drop safety prevents unintentional firing of a shot through hard impact. When the trigger is pulled, the trigger bar is guided in a precision safety ramp. The trigger bar is deflected from this ramp only in the moment the shot is triggered

Top Bottom