• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    A few months ago, I went to start my 2016 Honda Civic LX (6-Speed Manual), and the dash sort of lit up and the engine turned but didn't catch. I tried again and nothing. The car started fine with no hesitation earlier that morning. What's worse is the parking break is electronic and after several tires to start the car, the battery was too depleted to disengage it. So, I called a tow. The tow tested my battery as basically dead, charged it, and I drove home. The battery was old (6 years) and had some corrosion on both terminals. So, I bought a new one and enjoyed trouble free starting for four months until today.

Same thing: Worked fine on the way to the gym, but then the half hearted attempt to start followed by the nothing but dash lights. I immediately disengaged the parking break. So, new battery with no corrosion.

I will try to push start my car home tonight, then take the battery for a test (and likely charge) tomorrow.

What's up with my Civic?

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Best of luck to you. I hope the horror story of a bad starter isn't bestowed on you. Our family had a Civic that had a good battery and would act like it was bad. Turned out to be the starter - which is a mo'fk'ing sn'o'a'btch to replace. The starter was stuffed into the engine before the engine was put in the car - wiring harness etc. is all in the way.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    Alternator will keep a charged battery charged, but has trouble bringing a depleted battery back up.

Meter will tell you the health and SOC - State of Charge.
    Battery is only four months old. Can an alternator be broken in such a way that it only charges my batt intermittently?

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Can an alternator be broken in such a way that it only charges my batt intermittently?
    How far are your driving daily? It may not be a sufficient amount to charge a depleted battery. Alternators need quite a bit of running time to charge a battery and power everything else simultaneously. It's possible the battery was not fully charged when you bought it and you are just now seeing the signs of it. I definitely buy a smart charger and let it charge overnight amd then go from there.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    How far are your driving daily? It may not be a sufficient amount to charge a depleted battery. Alternators need quite a bit of running time to charge a battery and power everything else simultaneously. It's possible the battery was not fully charged when you bought it and you are just now seeing the signs of it. I definitely buy a smart charger and let it charge overnight amd then go from there.
    Hmm...6-7 days a week I make a 1 mile round trip and 3-4 days a week I make a 10 mile round trip which may or may not be paired with the shorter trip. On weekends I might add another trip, say 20 miles round trip. Is months of that enough?

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Hmm...6-7 days a week I make a 1 mile round trip and 3-4 days a week I make a 10 mile round trip which may or may not be paired with the shorter trip. On weekends I might add another trip, say 20 miles round trip. Is months of that enough?
    You may have bought an old battery or one that was not properly charged.

No, that is not enough driving to recharge depleted battery. To put it another way: ....needs test, and if ok, then fully charged.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    You may have bought an old battery or one that was not properly charged.

No, that is not enough driving to recharge depleted battery. To put it another way: ....needs test, and if ok, then fully charged.
    The battery was from Costco and was manufactured 2-3 months prior to the sale according to the sticker.

Two weeks ago I did drive to the far side of Austin Metroplex and back...still not enough?

My wife commutes to work four days a week so I might have to swap cars with her a few times a month. But even that is not the equivalent of a drive to Austin.

Top Bottom