• ...and so much more!
  • Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Here- read this to better understand the complexities involved in Honda charging.

Using a good smart charger will prolong your battery- they have re-conditioner functions that pulse and clean the plates (overly simplified). I have resurrected many expensive batteries that no other charger would work with.

Low voltage on computer equipped dependent cars can and will become expensive if you throw odd codes, strain/kill modules. I can't stress how much newer cars need healthy battery to function.

Military relies on these

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Regarding the battery you bought, how many CCA was it? Maybe it's not enough? Are you sure you don't have some phantom item hooked to your electrical system (like a CB or ham radio) that's draining it slowly?

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    Regarding the battery you bought, how many CCA was it? Maybe it's not enough? Are you sure you don't have some phantom item hooked to your electrical system (like a CB or ham radio) that's draining it slowly?
    Can't recall the CCAs exactly, but it was more than the original factory battery that lasted 7 years (6 CO winters, and 1 TX summer). Nothing extra added.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    The Big Town
    Can't recall the CCAs exactly, but it was more than the original factory battery that lasted 7 years (6 CO winters, and 1 TX summer). Nothing extra added.
    I had a similar issue. Old battery made the alternator work harder. New battery did not solve problem. Took it to the garage and they tested alternator, output was about half what it should have been. New alternator solved problem

I also find that checking the tire pressure regularly keep the truck running

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2023
    Houston
    I had a sedan that experienced a similar issue. An aged battery damaged the starter and the car would act as you described. A new starter solved the problem.

In new cars, an underperforming battery can do a ridiculous amount of damage over time. Now I test my batteries quarterly and do top up charges whenever the SOC is below 95%.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    The alternator has been charging my new battery. Battery tested at 89%. So, it is likely my starter. Will have the starter and my combination starter-battery-alternator tested later today.

Can a starter occassionally not work...as in fail every 150 or so tries?

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    The alternator has been charging my new battery. Battery tested at 89%. So, it is likely my starter. Will have the starter and my combination starter-battery-alternator tested later today.

A newish battery should not be testing at 89%. Should be closer to 100%. Get a a battery tester and check the battery while the engine is running. It should show slightly over 14 volts. If not, have the alternator checked at O'Reilley's or Advance Auto or Auto Zone.

Also, don't rule out a bad battery. I had a new one go bad after 4 months.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos

Hell yes. I had a Maxima that did that.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    If a starter relay is bad, is that the same thing as saying a starter is bad? (Replacing a part of a part vs a part)
    I would think the symptoms would be the same. I'm not saying it isn't the relay, but that wasn't the problem I had. If your fuse box has the same relay for different functions, maybe swap them? The starter on my Maxima would just randomly do nothing when I twisted the key. I didn't think to try the old mechanic's trick of whacking it with a hammer if it did nothing to see if that makes it temporarily work.

Top Bottom