• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Austin Cowart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Lumberton Texas
    hum

Something has to be up here. I honestly can’t see this being the entire story. The rifle fires a 2 shot burst and there just happens to be someone there that’s a big enough A-hole to call the ATF without asking if the rifle malfunctioned. I’m calling bull on this one. Despite the fact that the rifle malfunctioned that is not in any way evidence unless an ATF agent was present at the time the burst was fired or if they were able to get it to do it again. It would be considered hearsay unless they could prove that the rifle is capable of repeating the auto fire. On top of that why couldn’t the defense just say it was bump fired if someone was testifying that they witnessed a 2 shot burst. No, something is not being reported here. I’m very curious though and I really feel sorry for this guy if in fact the guy is totally innocent but things just don’t add up in my mind.

ReVrEnD_0341

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Settle down there Austin. A police officer was there to witness it. ATF had to test the rifle twice to get it to repeat the auto fire.

Armalite/Eagle Arms AR-15s made in the 80's to early 90's are notorious for this. His rifle was made in that time frame. The Armalite rifles of that era would fire busts on certain ammo, and were notorious for the disconector and sear wearing to the point of full auto runaways, or bursts. This is exactly what it looks like. An ATF agent that heard of the malfunction and looking to hang someone. This case will be thrown out on appeal, an the soldier will go on about his happy life.

I have had the exact same thing happen to my Eagle AR15A1. It was made in the same time frame and possibly from the same lot of lower parts. Sometime in the early 90's there was a recall because of this. I didn't know until my rifle did the same thing, and did some searching. He'll eventually get off.

Austin Cowart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Lumberton Texas
    exactly

A police officer was there to witness it. ATF had to test the rifle twice to get it to repeat the auto fire.

Armalite/Eagle Arms AR-15s made in the 80's to early 90's are notorious for this. His rifle was made in that time frame. The Armalite rifles of that era would fire busts on certain ammo, and were notorious for the disconector and sear wearing to the point of full auto runaways, or bursts. This is exactly what it looks like. An ATF agent that heard of the malfunction and looking to hang someone. This case will be thrown out on appeal, an the soldier will go on about his happy life.

I have had the exact same thing happen to my Eagle AR15A1. It was made in the same time frame and possibly from the same lot of lower parts. Sometime in the early 90's there was a recall because of this. I didn't know until my rifle did the same thing, and did some searching. He'll eventually get off.

But none of that was said in the news report. Simply, that there was a single malfunction and that the government got him. I dont agree with what happened and I do agree that it will be thrown out upon appeal. I just get ticked that news stations spin stories one way or another. It is always biased just to get a reaction and even I allow myself to be influenced but that I still hate it. On a side note I dont take it personally, but I absolutely hate it when someone tried to placate me by telling me to settle down. I find it exceptionally rude, but thats just me ;)

ReVrEnD_0341

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    But none of that was said in the news report. Simply, that there was a single malfunction and that the government got him. I dont agree with what happened and I do agree that it will be thrown out upon appeal. I just get ticked that news stations spin stories one way or another. It is always biased just to get a reaction and even I allow myself to be influenced but that I still hate it. On a side note I dont take it personally, but I absolutely hate it when someone tried to placate me by telling me to settle down. I find it exceptionally rude, but thats just me ;)

Settle down bro, settle down. lol Just messin with ya bro. :p I appologise. I have to tell folks to settle down so much in my line of work I just spew it out sometimes. And for the record, I had to look up the meaning of placate. :o Its been awhile since I have been in the world of inteligence...

One thing we must note in this case. Olofsen was not convicted of manufacturing an automatic weapon, nor for owning a non registered automatic weapon. He was convicted of illegal transfer of an MG. The person he lent the rifle to was not charged with a crime, at all. If there was no base of evidence to indite the person that borrowed the rifle, or indite the owner for offenses other than transfer, this is a baseless case. Olofsen's lawyer needs to be fired, and throw cases about whose dog shat on whose property.

ReVrEnD_0341

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    On further research, I conclude this guy is an asshat.

His rifle was actually an Olympic Arms, but still those problems were well known of rifles made in that era. From reading transcripts, interviews, and open forum posts by the defendant, he brought this upon himself.

Evidently he has had several run ins with the ATF. CCW violations, explosives stuff, and buying AR lowers using someone else's FFL #.

From what I gather, his lower has a three position safety selector, and has been modified somewhat. It looks as if he was attempting to make an AR fire auto, or 3 shot burst, but doesn't really have the skill/ know how to do it right. He let the guy borrow the rifle and told him not to fire it with the selector in the third position. So it appears he knew exactly what would happen, and he may in fact be getting what he deserves.

Has the ATF done a number on the guy? Sure. The agent making the test lab retest the rifle, and use different ammo in it has a past with this guy from other cases. We all know how are LEO's can get when they KNOW someone is a bad guy. Sometimes you gotta do some assholey stuff to get the bad guy. Never give up when you know something is up.

This will be an interesting case to follow. The ensuing legislation on reigning in the BATFE, with standardized testing, and protocals will be something to keep track of as well.

I'll gather up good links, and sources to post up for you fine folks when I can get it done.

Austin Cowart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Lumberton Texas
    Thanks

I appreciate the apology Revrend. And I am happy to say that my BS detector is still going strong. Revrend where did you find this information im really very curious because, my gosh, if the weapon was tampered with he should have been charged with attempt to manufacture a MG and not just illegal transfer. The ATF the Federal prosecutor and Mr. Olofsen are all as you said "asshats" hehe I like that word. This is almost one of those things that people on both sides of the gun debate are better off not knowing about due to the fact that it can be spun both ways.:(

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    Size of your font.

I appreciate the apology Revrend. And I am happy to say that my BS detector is still going strong. Revrend where did you find this information im really very curious because, my gosh, if the weapon was tampered with he should have been charged with attempt to manufacture a MG and not just illegal transfer. The ATF the Federal prosecutor and Mr. Olofsen are all as you said "asshats" hehe I like that word. This is almost one of those things that people on both sides of the gun debate are better off not knowing about due to the fact that it can be spun both ways.:(

Austin, as a favor to me and perhaps others, would you please increase the size of your font so these old eyes can see it better? Thank you. Back to topic.....

Austin Cowart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Lumberton Texas
    repost for pappy

I appreciate the apology Revrend. And I am happy to say that my BS detector is still going strong. Revrend where did you find this information im really very curious because, my gosh, if the weapon was tampered with he should have been charged with attempt to manufacture a MG and not just illegal transfer. The ATF the Federal prosecutor and Mr. Olofsen are all as you said "asshats" hehe I like that word. This is almost one of those things that people on both sides of the gun debate are better off not knowing about due to the fact that it can be spun both ways :(

Top Bottom