• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bambulance Man

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Texas, Fate
    Howdy folks! Considering snapping on of these up in the future. Has anyone tried this caliber? And if so what platform? How did it perform? Likes? Dislikes?

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk
    Military Camp

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    I love the looks of it. A snap on AR upper that will reach out and touch someone at 1000. Gotta love it.

Helluva a lot better than I can do I tell ya that!

Seriously considering one, plus some serious glass.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    DeltaTeamTactical has had the complete uppers for a touch less than 250 for a while.

I might cheat the glass. I have a good Leupold on the 30-06 I might use.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Be careful what you buy. The reamers used by most barrel manufactures are not to SAAMI specs which creates a long freebore. Too much jump for the bullets to be accurate. I would wait until the situation gets fixed. Especially if you plan to shoot factory ammo. With a long freebore barrel, you'll be able to work up a successful load but you'll likely need to load long.

Last edited:

Bambulance Man

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Texas, Fate
    Huh I did not know that.
    Be careful what you buy. The reamers used by most barrel manufactures are not to SAAMI specs which creates a long freebore. Too much jump for the bullets to be accurate. I would wait until the situation gets fixed.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    If you research the .224 Valkyrie, you'll find a lot of people complaining about crappy groups. It's the long freebore that's the problem. JP pulled their barrels off the market. Other barrel sellers are playing ignorant and won't admit there's a problem. Hopefully it gets resolved in the next 6 months.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Be careful what you buy. The reamers used by most barrel manufactures are not to SAAMI specs which creates a long freebore. Too much jump for the bullets to be accurate. I would wait until the situation gets fixed. Especially if you plan to shoot factory ammo. With a long freebore barrel, you'll be able to work up a successful load but you'll likely need to load long.
    I've read this too on several places on the interwebs. I've read the reamers come from PTG, which, as may be true does seem hard to believe coming from them.

As far as the round, it does have some positive attributes, but like other rounds over the years I'm hesitant to buy until its established. Only this year did I get into the 6.5CM round as I was worried about its longevity. Having said that I did build a 300BLK a few years ago and thoroughly enjoy that round for its intended types of usage.

A definite positive is that it was introduced properly, meaning there was market support initially. Other rounds have failed due that oversight. If it seems viable I may buy just to give it a shot. I like the premise for punching paper on small frame ARs with little recoil at extended ranges.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    IMO it's an effort to salvage the 6.8 SPC and make it into something; its basically a 6.8 on steroids. It does offer the AR 15 platform a 1000 yd reach, albeit not sure if is a true need. I will say what its not and if I am going to play in the 1000 yd and beyond arena I am going in with a 6.5 CM in a AR 10 format*

All that said the .224 is another hot rod round in the mix and if you want to say with the AR 15 family it may be a good pick, just bear in mind its not on every store shelf and where it is it's not cheap.

If you want to run with it, run with it. Its new and flashy will it be around tomorrow or just a memory, who knows, it would not be the first round that brought a lot tot he table, yet fell by the side of the trail. I have seen a lot hot and new over the years, some are still here, some not.

* The AR 10 takes a hit on weight, or does it? I have an AR 10 and it does tilt the scales as if I had my thumb on them at weight in time...but does the AR 10 weight more, only slightly in reality. But went I slam in a 30 rd .308 mag, along with that 22 in SS match grade bbl and it adds a chunk to it. But if you weight the upper/lowers complete the difference is not that great.

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    Give it 5 years and see if you can walk into wally world and buy rounds. OR become a reloader and have fun making your own loads. But I am with Cowboy, if I am going 1000 yards I will be pulling my AR10 out instead of my AR15.

Bambulance Man

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Texas, Fate
    I am a reloader, and have enjoyed wild cat rounds in the past. Most notable being the .300 Blackout, and the 6x45.

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Walmart already has the Federal ammo for about $10-$12 for a box of 20. My customers say it is accurate too. I sell more of it than a lot of more mainstream cartridges.

from an idjit coffeeholic

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Walmart already has the Federal ammo for about $10-$12 for a box of 20. My customers say it is accurate too. I sell more of it than a lot of more mainstream cartridges.

from an idjit coffeeholic
    Kinda like the new Senior girl at school, who moved from LA to small town Texas. I remember her very well, in fact 50+ years later we still talk about her, as did the Principal and the VP and the teachers. Her first day at school she wore a dress and boy did she look good with that dress ABOVE her knees, LA style back in the 60's. The next day was a skirt and blouse and that skirt was even shorter then the dress (mind you, if she walked into a local HS today here in my small conservative town, it would not get a second look except to note the lack of style in such a long skirt, even tho above the knees.

A LOT of guys wanted to date her, she was HOT, HOT, HOT! But day 3 brought on a pale, as she stood at the main doors, in tears awaiting her mother to pick her up and find her some dresses that broke just below the knee. Day 4 she walked looking like any other girl in HS and suddenly she was not as HOT as we remembered on a day ago. (YES, TRUE story, my Senior yr in HS)

Yea, your selling a lot of ,224 V, its the new girl in HS and like has been said, when I see it on the shelves of America's biggest seller of ammo, Wal Mart I will know that girl was as cute as she looked on day 1...

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    IMO it's an effort to salvage the 6.8 SPC and make it into something; its basically a 6.8 on steroids. It does offer the AR 15 platform a 1000 yd reach, albeit not sure if is a true need. I will say what its not and if I am going to play in the 1000 yd and beyond arena I am going in with a 6.5 CM in a AR 10 format.

All that said the .224 is another hot rod round in the mix and if you want to say with the AR 15 family it may be a good pick, just bear in mind its not on every store shelf and where it is it's not cheap.

I think the reason Federal used the 6.8 case for the .224 Valkyrie is due to less wear/tear on the bolts. The 6.8 bolt is stronger compared to some comparable cases in the AR15 frame. Federal has also supported the 6.8 cartridge in both the military and commercial market. There cartridge is also very similar ARP's successful .224 Predator wildcat with some minor changes.

What I like about the .224 Valkyrie compared to the 6.5 Creedmoor is less weight and recoil. The .224 Valkyrie has a lot of promise at distance and is nipping at the heels of the Creedmoor with some bullets. But more work is needed on barrels to work consistently with the 90 gr bullets. I think they'll eventually get all the bugs worked out.

I have a ARP long freebore Valkyrie barrel waiting for a build. Before it shipped, Harrison at ARP call and asked if I still wanted it since he figured out the reamer screw up by PTG. He was one of a few barrel sellers that openly stated the problem and even pulled his barrels before shipping to customers. It was my choice whether to take it, but I went ahead and had him send it to me since I reload. I'll likely need to use a open PRI mag to load it long. I've already have one so not big deal.

Don't be surprised if the .224 Valkyrie isn't the last 6.8 wildcat that Federal introduces. A 6mm 6.8 wildcat may be next. Lot of demand for one.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't have much too add. But this struck a chord with me because all I shoot is steel. My gunsmith said a lot of people have a hard time seeing hits on steel at extended ranges due to the small caliber bullet and loss of speed. I like seeing my hits through the scope. I don't wanna buy a expensive spotting scope. Just a thought....

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom