Join TexasGunTalk

What's y'all's take on the .224 Valkerye

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Bambulance Man, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Bambulance Man

Bambulance Man Member TGT Supporter

Sep 11, 2012
    Texas, Fate
    Howdy folks! Considering snapping on of these up in the future. Has anyone tried this caliber? And if so what platform? How did it perform? Likes? Dislikes?

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

FireInTheWire likes this.
  2. Dad_Roman

Dad_Roman Well-Known TGT Supporter

Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    I love the looks of it. A snap on AR upper that will reach out and touch someone at 1000. Gotta love it.

Helluva a lot better than I can do I tell ya that!

Seriously considering one, plus some serious glass.

Bambulance Man likes this.
  3. Bambulance Man

Sep 11, 2012
    Texas, Fate
    I hear ya there!

4. Dad_Roman

Dad_Roman Well-Known TGT Supporter

Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    DeltaTeamTactical has had the complete uppers for a touch less than 250 for a while.

I might cheat the glass. I have a good Leupold on the 30-06 I might use.

5. ed308

ed308 Well-Known

Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Be careful what you buy. The reamers used by most barrel manufactures are not to SAAMI specs which creates a long freebore. Too much jump for the bullets to be accurate. I would wait until the situation gets fixed. Especially if you plan to shoot factory ammo. With a long freebore barrel, you'll be able to work up a successful load but you'll likely need to load long.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    FireInTheWire and Bambulance Man like this.
  6. Bambulance Man

Sep 11, 2012
    Texas, Fate
    Huh I did not know that.

7. ed308

ed308 Well-Known

Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    If you research the .224 Valkyrie, you'll find a lot of people complaining about crappy groups. It's the long freebore that's the problem. JP pulled their barrels off the market. Other barrel sellers are playing ignorant and won't admit there's a problem. Hopefully it gets resolved in the next 6 months.

8. Big Green

Big Green Active Member

Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I've read this too on several places on the interwebs. I've read the reamers come from PTG, which, as may be true does seem hard to believe coming from them.

As far as the round, it does have some positive attributes, but like other rounds over the years I'm hesitant to buy until its established. Only this year did I get into the 6.5CM round as I was worried about its longevity. Having said that I did build a 300BLK a few years ago and thoroughly enjoy that round for its intended types of usage.

A definite positive is that it was introduced properly, meaning there was market support initially. Other rounds have failed due that oversight. If it seems viable I may buy just to give it a shot. I like the premise for punching paper on small frame ARs with little recoil at extended ranges.

9. Ole Cowboy

Ole Cowboy TGT Addict

May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    IMO it's an effort to salvage the 6.8 SPC and make it into something; its basically a 6.8 on steroids. It does offer the AR 15 platform a 1000 yd reach, albeit not sure if is a true need. I will say what its not and if I am going to play in the 1000 yd and beyond arena I am going in with a 6.5 CM in a AR 10 format*

All that said the .224 is another hot rod round in the mix and if you want to say with the AR 15 family it may be a good pick, just bear in mind its not on every store shelf and where it is it's not cheap.

If you want to run with it, run with it. Its new and flashy will it be around tomorrow or just a memory, who knows, it would not be the first round that brought a lot tot he table, yet fell by the side of the trail. I have seen a lot hot and new over the years, some are still here, some not.

* The AR 10 takes a hit on weight, or does it? I have an AR 10 and it does tilt the scales as if I had my thumb on them at weight in time...but does the AR 10 weight more, only slightly in reality. But went I slam in a 30 rd .308 mag, along with that 22 in SS match grade bbl and it adds a chunk to it. But if you weight the upper/lowers complete the difference is not that great.

10. Darqhelmet

Darqhelmet You had one job, one.

Jul 5, 2018
    Dallas
    Give it 5 years and see if you can walk into wally world and buy rounds. OR become a reloader and have fun making your own loads. But I am with Cowboy, if I am going 1000 yards I will be pulling my AR10 out instead of my AR15.

Dawico and Ole Cowboy like this.