DK Firearms

When coating a 1911, on the slide and frame, which parts do you NOT coat?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blasternank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    Keller (By Cabela's)
    I have a PSA carbon steel frame and slide. They are both stripped. I smoothed out the little bit of grit in the slide and put all the parts in it and fitted the ones that needed fitting. I shot it to make sure it functioned prior to coating.

Next, I have stripped it back down, I will clean off all dirt, etc. I have a bead blaster which I will use and the sprayer from harbor freight. I have some FDE Gun Kote for the project. I do not plan on spraying any individual parts, just the stripped frame and slide.

My question, which parts do you not coat? Do you plug the pin holes? If so, what works best for that? Do you spray inside of the frame? Inside of the slide? Do you not coat the rails or where the slide runs? I've tried to find videos, but haven't been able to find any on what not to spray and what to plug. This will be my first so I'm excited to try it, but smart enough to realize when I need help and that I should reach out to y'all that have a much broader understanding and experience with this than do I. If you know of any video's I'd appreciate it as well.

Thanks!
    Venture Surplus ad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2015
    coat everything stone the rails after if its too tight (it will be if your slide to frame fit is good),ream pin holes after or use a bit of 320 sand paper rolled up to clean up the pin holes if necessary. I will assume its a non-ramped frame so repolish the feed ramp after blasting and coating.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    coat everything stone the rails after if its too tight (it will be if your slide to frame fit is good),ream pin holes after or use a bit of 320 sand paper rolled up to clean up the pin holes if necessary. I will assume its a non-ramped frame so repolish the feed ramp after blasting and coating.
    +1 What he said

Top Bottom