• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Here's the Beamer that Tupac got shot in. A 1996 BMW 750il. This particular POS model had a V12 with four independent ECMs. 4 computers to the one in your Ford or Chevy. This car was more complex then a gold Rolex in a divorce court.

You can buy this wonderful black German turd for a low low 1.5million. When it breaks down, it go's all out and really breaks. Park it and forgot about it. Das Auto

It's been restored...meaning the interior got new carpet and they got rid of the blood smell. Some bondo on the bullet holes.

Here's a person's chance to own a huge piece of crap....

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    image.png Seeing this made me chuckle...

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    1996 BMW 750il. This particular POS model had a V12 with four independent ECMs. 4 computers to the one in your Ford or Chevy. This car was more complex then a gold Rolex in a divorce court.
    Complex for '96... Even Chevys and Fords have more than one computer these days. It's still a bad idea to buy a 7 series, of any vintage.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    A friend has a 2006 750iL, owned since new. Can afford to drive anything he wants, but loves the car.

He's on the tail-end of his second factory extended warranty...and has amassed $40k in repair receipts over the years, all on BMW's dime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    A friend has a 2006 750iL, owned since new. Can afford to drive anything he wants, but loves the car.

He's on the tail-end of his second factory extended warranty...and has amassed $40k in repair receipts over the years, all on BMW's dime.
    Hey, if you have the money to burn why not. I have my fair share of illogical vehicles.

Recommending someone buy a 7 series is daft, tho... He coulda got a 3 series, had 90% as nice of a car for 50% of the money, and not needed the extended warranties.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Yeah that definitely wasn't a recommendation LOL :laughing:

Few things depreciate faster than a large German sedan.
    Let's say he paid $100k for the car.
    Let's say it's worth $10k now.

That's $90k in depreciation.
    Plus $40k in repair receipts (regardless of who paid for the repairs).
    Ouch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last V12 I saw was at pick&pull. "Fuel injection problem" was scrolled on the windshield in shoe polish. It was a recent arrival. Only had the wheels taken off and the taillights. All of the genuine cherry wood panels were still there and pristine. Seats had no holes. Paint was still deep and shiny. Not a dent in the car. If I remember right it had about 80k on the odometer. My brother had worked as a bmw mechanic. I can remember one (probably the same one) on the showroom floor. 8-10mpg and a gas guzzle tax. I said something to the salesman and he replied if you can afford the car, you won't care about mpg. The 55mph Mark on the speedometer was about an inch off the starting peg. If you were driving 20mph, the speedometer looked like it wouldn't move.

Went back a few months later to wrench-a-wreck and someone pulled the motor. I'm sure the car was crushed not long after that.

Always wondered why somebody wanted a German v12.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    All of the genuine cherry wood panels were still there and pristine. Seats had no holes. Paint was still deep and shiny. Not a dent in the car
    SBC swap candidate.

Always wondered why somebody wanted a German v12.
    Well if you really want a v12, it's the most reliable one you'll find. Mechanically they are good; it's all the ancillary stuff on the higher end BMWs that go bad and are cost prohibitive to fix.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    That's when there gets a point to which replacing ancillary parts cost more then the whole car is worth.

I wouldn't buy a used BMW to save my life. New, it's nice car. Until around 40k and BMW keeps patching up to keep it rolling. German cars a troll on the world.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I wouldn't buy a used BMW to save my life.
    I've got no problems owning used 3 series; not as much silly stuff on them to break. My e21 has something like 130k miles on it (odometer broke at 118k :laughing:), and my daily driver is an e90 with 107k. Maintenance costs are pretty low as long as you don't get it serviced at the stealership. Plenty of good independent BMW mechanics in town.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    A LONG time ago I considered picking up an E36 dirt cheap (aka 100k+ when the radiator leaked, the alternator quit, the motor bled oil all over the place, and it overheated because the water pump impeller fell off, among other problems) ... and LS swapping it for kicks. Probably a good thing I didn't :)

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    A LONG time ago I considered picking up an E36 dirt cheap (aka 100k+ when the radiator leaked, the alternator quit, the motor bled oil all over the place, and it overheated because the water pump impeller fell off, among other problems) ... and LS swapping it for kicks. Probably a good thing I didn't :)
    Should have done it. It would have been like a new Camaro, but better.

Top Bottom