• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Don't know if you guys have been lookin' lately but it looks like the price gouging and hoarding has already begun. Just about every type of 7.62x39 ammo out there is sold out or selling for at least 1.5 times its value. 223 ammo is not far behind. Glad I anticipate this kind of BS so I'm not gonna show up at your local walmart or academy and buy everything up for no good reason. Back in 09' a lot of people near border town were reporting out-of-staters driving into Texas and filling their pickups full of ammo. Hope it doesn't get that bad this go round.
    Venture Surplus ad

jbcalhoun

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Midland, TX.
    I've looked relentlessly the past few days for 223 ammo and any magazines for the AR15. Nothing to be had.....anywhere.

The local gun shop I frequent looks as if they haven't placed an order in months and what is left is not much. No AR's of any kind and very few rifles or pistols left.

Looks like we will be faced with shortages and high prices in the future. Yes, let's just hope there is a future!

It's hard to hoard when the shelves are bare and retailers like Walmart, Dicks, etc. are no longer going to be stocking certain "Black Rifle" accessories and ammo.

I wouldn't doubt if Obammer had a weapons Tzar in the near future!

Brad

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I've been buying 100 round boxes of AE 556 @ my Academy's found a few boxes over the last week or so, but it's hit or miss. I usually look on gun-deals.com for online deals but I just noticed that they only have 50 current deals and most of them are backordered. That must have just happened because a day or so ago it wasn't that bad. I think the ammo supply will snap back after a few months regardless of what Barry does, but I am glad I had been buying a little here and there for the past year, it really added up.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Yeah....it's gonna get worse before it gets any better, too. Saw the handwriting on the wall, so ordered a coupla 5.56 dozen mags for the AK I'm gettin' built on Monday, UPS just delivered 'em.

Friend in SA owns a range & gun shop, her daughter mentioned today that they still had a few AR's an' AK's left, so I swung by and snagged another M4 style AR this afternoon, figuring I'd beg permission later. Told the better half about it while ago, she said "You NEED another AR!" Love that gal.....

hardcase60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Central Texas
    On Wednesday I happened to stop by the Academy store in the central part of Houston. Walked over to the firearms counter and was shocked to find the gun racks nearly empty. There were four people at the counter doing paper work and the ammo isle had at least six people on it. This was all in the middle of the afternoon.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It's gotten extremely difficult very fast this time around. Went to GT's today and basically all the Glock mags were sold out. All AR mags were sold out. Mostly just oddball stuff left there at the moment. Red's south sold out of all their semi auto rifles. I'm hearing from dealer friends that most distributors are out of pretty much everything AR/AK related, guns, ammo, or in demand accessories like mags, bolts, etc.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I'll give anyone a deal for AR-15 30rd metal surplus mags. I have the untapped market of military friends sitting on piles of them. 15 bucks a piece. I know I can probably get about a hundred of them easily.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Yeah, I went out at lunch today to grab a brick of .22LR......no luck! I can't believe people have snatched up all the .22LR.

We're heading to the ranch for 10 days, so I wanted to make sure I have plinking ammo. Bummer. I have some, just not as much as I wanted to take. I'm loaded up on 9mm, .45, .308, and 5.56.....too bad we're leaving so soon or I'd trade some 5.56 or .308 for someones .22LR.

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    It's gotten extremely difficult very fast this time around. Went to GT's today and basically all the Glock mags were sold out. All AR mags were sold out. Mostly just oddball stuff left there at the moment. Red's south sold out of all their semi auto rifles. I'm hearing from dealer friends that most distributors are out of pretty much everything AR/AK related, guns, ammo, or in demand accessories like mags, bolts, etc.

I just came from Red's in Pflugerville. The racks were full and they had pallets of ammo on the floor. I didn't price them or see which calibers, but it was there.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I just came from Red's in Pflugerville. The racks were full and they had pallets of ammo on the floor. I didn't price them or see which calibers, but it was there.

Interesting. The other day at the south store they were down to just a few AR's, and supposedly the next day were sold out completely. A lot of the stuff the north store has is also pretty expensive. MR556's and the like.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Im not playing the hording bs game. I didnt in 08' Im not this time either. Ill say it again dont go into debt buying up everything.

The other thing your best bet is to have ONE go to rifle and ONE go to handgun per family member and or shotgun.

Ive seen people fight over ammo recently. Be professonal.. or how about be an adult!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry but that shit chaps my ass!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    A cursory look at some gun forums and sporting news from California to Maine shows that just the "talk" of a gun ban has spurred a lively reaction.

Liberals just never think about "what if." One report has people camping outside sporting goods stores in New England just so they can raid those stores for guns, ammo, magazines, and any other item they believe .gov might try to ban.

If they (All of Us) used the same energy to contact all of our elected representatives (local, state, and Federal), we would do far better in heading off this assault on our God-Given (2nd Amendment affirmed) right to bear arms.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    The wife and I sent these letters ...

letter.jpg

to politicians in Washington and their local offices.

They contain this ....

Please do not support or entertain the conversations about "feel good” legislation such as an Assault Weapons Ban. We have enough firearms laws on the books now at the federal level and more laws are NOT needed.

Applying further restrictions to law abiding firearms owners, and future firearms owners is NOT an acceptable solution.

The Sandy Hook School shooting is a tragedy; however the firearms were not to blame, nor were the high capacity magazines.

The blame lies in the individual who allegedly was prescribed psychotropic medication for a mental ailment and who violated dozens of firearms related laws in his actions that day.

There needs to be a conversation regarding those who are diagnosed with a mental illness and not getting the help they desperately need. This is the real issue in this case and the incidents in Littleton CO and Tucson AZ.

Please move forward with meaningful realistic and achievable reform regarding violence against all citizens.

Thank you for the work that you do.
    Sincerely,

Top Bottom