• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Bandera

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    south of Dallas
    Been looking around a long time & see it's real slow here but, where are all the 308 cans ???? Talon Arms only has the Gemtech & YHM (not my favorites) & they say "we can order what you want" but, why not stock better products & avoid the hassle of waiting extra time from a manufacturer ? I also want the Silencerco Osprey in 45acp but, they don't sell Silencerco products either. Seems like dealers only want to sell 9mm cans these days or products from less than than top of the line manufacturers. BTW, I want the SRT titanium Shadow 308 can but, nobody sells them.
    Guns International

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    We generaly stock the cans we get the most requests for or have personal experience using. We do lean towards SWR, YHM, and Gemtech due to our long and cooperative relationship with those companies. I tend to find most of the cans similiar between brands and personaly own cans from the previously mentinoed vendors and others. Talon stocks a LOT of cans but this environment has caused delays in getting product from manufacturers due to increased demand.

jt526

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2009
    Richardson
    Just go through major malfunction, and have it shipped to your dealer. Also, SRT shadow TI was not quite as good in the shoot out against the AAC cyclone on bolt guns in titsworth's tests at silencer research, but did meter almost the same as the AAC 762.SD, which I've got and use on two ar's, and a remington 700pss. Really good can, and I like the mounting options. The AAC brake on 308 is great. It is only about 5 ounces more than the shadow TI, same DB level, and you can use it on multiple hosts easily. Also, don't sell the gemtech HVT short. Meters decent, good price point, mounting options, etc.

Bandera

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    south of Dallas
    We generaly stock the cans we get the most requests for or have personal experience using. We do lean towards SWR, YHM, and Gemtech due to our long and cooperative relationship with those companies. I tend to find most of the cans similiar between brands and personaly own cans from the previously mentinoed vendors and others. Talon stocks a LOT of cans but this environment has caused delays in getting product from manufacturers due to increased demand.

You only stock pistol cans from SWR......no rifle cans. Like I said, most dealers push 9mm cans & perhaps 22 cans more than anything else.
    Just go through major malfunction, and have it shipped to your dealer. Also, SRT shadow TI was not quite as good in the shoot out against the AAC cyclone on bolt guns in titsworth's tests at silencer research, but did meter almost the same as the AAC 762.SD, which I've got and use on two ar's, and a remington 700pss.

You are wrong. The SRT shadow metered better than any of the AAC cans by a good margin. Here's the link to the 308 silencer tests............The Gemtech might come close but, they are over priced compared to better cans costing less................I'm not new to the NFA world by any means. I was a dealer for 20 years & now most new dealers sell what makes $$$$$ regardless how good the product is. I bought a 1919A6, AC-556k & M-16 in years past when they were cheap. Bryan at Major Malfunction is a good guy but, dealers can't sell what they don't have & the extra wait time is ridiculous. I'll never buy anything AAC due to their lies about shipping times or availabilities of cans. .

jt526

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2009
    Richardson
    Hi Bandera, I did actually have a problem with that AAC can taking a while to ship, but it ended up well. The tests I was referring to were on silencerresearch.com from late last year. Unfortunately, the site is $30 bucks for the premium subscription where the review is, but the recent test show the redesigned core in the cyclone doing very well. Not that I think it matters much, every modern design suppressor I've heard is a lot more fun than shooting non-suppressed. I definitely feel that AAC has some bad blood out there after the prodigy cores they shipped first, and some delivery issues, that I think even they'll agree that didn't quite go down as they had intended.

My next two are Thompson Machine, one the poseidon, and their new subgun can, once they get around to .223 or .308 can, I'll give them a shot on that, as their price points are outrageously low for the quality, and uniqueness of their products. In visiting their shop in Panacea, FL it was nice to demo everything they had. I'd actually be interested in seeing if there are any local manufacturers around Dallas to visit.

I was also quite surprised when I moved to Dallas this year about the lack of CLEO sign-offs. What is the deal there?

Bandera

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    south of Dallas
    jt526

AAC is using a combination of other guys work. Nothing is of their own design from the ground up. Some guys promote AAC and, they're getting koodo's somewhere because they say AAC is the standard today. To many guys in the class III business just for the $$$$$ Remember when guys at AAC bad mouthed the older guys & promoted themselves ??? It was a campaign to own the suppressor business.

Phil Dater at Gemtech is now making a good 30cal. can but, the price is a bit much IMHO. That's my opinion based on what others like SAS, SRT & SWR are priced at.

I remember the guys from years ago who built some of the best cans around. One of them is Joe Gabini former owner of SWR. I talked to Wit at Engel Ballistic Research today & he still has some of Joe's cans in stock. It's a 4-1/2 hour drive one way for me so I'm debating to make the trip for the 308 can. I talked to the owner of Lone Star Armory today because he's a dealer for SAS but, he has no 308 cans in stock. He said maybe 4 weeks as he's waiting for the dealer transfers. He also told me that a trust transfer is taking 6 months. That's longer than I want to wait.

Dallas LEO chiefs need to be replaced with friendlier ones that understand the program better but, good luck with that.
    BTW, my trust cost $300. from a lawyer in Houston. Any more is highway robbery IMO.

Flight954

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Cypress, TX
    Take a look at Major Malfunction out of Oklahoma. Best prices and he has good stock on various brands. Then have them transfered to your local dealer. The Gemtech cans are solid and their customer service is great.

Bandera

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    south of Dallas
    Take a look at Major Malfunction out of Oklahoma. Best prices and he has good stock on various brands. Then have them transfered to your local dealer. The Gemtech cans are solid and their customer service is great.
    I know Bryan will transfer to a SOT here but, oh the wait added when a local should have cans in stock. Then the $100 transfer fee to boot.

Are muzzle brake threads typically the same for cans?
    Cans are threaded same as common tread pitch for a given caliber.
    223, 9mm =1/2"x28, 308, 300WM, 338WM =5/8x24, etc....

Can ANY FFL receive cans & sbr's?
    If you have a FFL (like I do) the manufacturer (maker of the can) can ship directly to the address on your FFL without going thru a SOT dealer. Oh & you get dealer price too (in most cases).
    Still need the LEO sig., photo, prints, backround check, etc...
    I found out that I don't need a trust for this either.

Bandera

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    south of Dallas
    Bandera.. Where are you based out of? I'm interested in getting a can from you.
    Sorry but, I don't have a class III to sell. I just have a 01FFL.
    If the political climate was friendlier I would do the SOT & sell but, the world is getting real bad quick & time is not on our side.

TalonRob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Can ANY FFL receive cans & sbr's?

Any FFL can buy suppressors, but they pay the $200 tax just like everyone else. Only an SOT / FFL is tax exempt. Most people refer to us as class 3 dealers.
    When we receive suppressors, they are on a Form 3 (tax free transfer) which is used from SOT to SOT. If the suppressor is transfered to a non-SOT FFL or an individual, a $200 tax is required and it is registered on a Form 4.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Any FFL can buy suppressors, but they pay the $200 tax just like everyone else. Only an SOT / FFL is tax exempt. Most people refer to us as class 3 dealers.
    When we receive suppressors, they are on a Form 3 (tax free transfer) which is used from SOT to SOT. If the suppressor is transfered to a non-SOT FFL or an individual, a $200 tax is required and it is registered on a Form 4.

Thank you....

Bandera

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    south of Dallas
    If the suppressor is transfered to a non-SOT FFL or an individual, a $200 tax is required and it is registered on a Form 4.
    Having been a class III dealer in the past, I knew that up front. It's also for my own personal collection.

If you're not Robert, please pass this message to him. Robert told me that he has some Gemtech Blackside 45 cans coming in 3 weeks but, after a short call to Gemtech & talking to one of the guys (I won't say who), I found out that you guys don't have any on order.
    I don't know why I was lied to but, that's very bad business practice when people like me have $$$$ in hand to spend. A bit of advice to you guys. Re-evaluate your business practices. You lost any future business from me.
    I found a better 308 can than the HVT or Sandstorm & another 45 can that is just a hair quieter than the Blackside & all for much less $$$. The 45 can will be titanium with the recoil booster & will be the 1rst 45 titanium can I know of.
    I may post a review when I get it.

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    Bandera,

TalonArms_R is Robert and the ffl transfer information he posted regarding taxable transfer was an answer to another members questions as evidenced by his post. In no way was anyone implying you had a lack of information. Quite the contrary, you seem to have the pulse of the business and no far more than everyone else.

I initially bailed on this thread when I mentioned our procedure on which cans we stock and why at times we may not have some newly released, fast selling, or niche suppressor, especially in the current market. To that answer I was basically called a liar on another point only vaguely related and even in that context untrue “(You only stock pistol cans from SWR......no rifle cans)”. And the previous comment from your earlier post ignores market realities which you should be aware off from your advertised experience and market contacts.

Regarding your suggested market contacts I doubt you would have been given information regarding a private corporation’s purchase from Gemtech. To go online and post negative information about Gemtech’s product and doing such an act to someone who trusted you with such information from Gemtech would be very bad form if it were true, which it is not. Regarding the alluded to “lie” you are misinformed.

I am disappointed we were unable to meet your expectations,
    Chris

Bandera

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    south of Dallas
    Bandera,

you seem to have the pulse of the business and no far more than everyone else.

To that answer I was basically called a liar on another point only vaguely related and even in that context untrue “(You only stock pistol cans from SWR......no rifle cans)”. And the previous comment from your earlier post ignores market realities which you should be aware off from your advertised experience and market contacts.

Regarding your suggested market contacts I doubt you would have been given information regarding a private corporation’s purchase from Gemtech. To go online and post negative information about Gemtech’s product and doing such an act to someone who trusted you with such information from Gemtech would be very bad form if it were true, which it is not. Regarding the alluded to “lie” you are misinformed.
    Chris

With 30 years experience & dealing with all the major players I can say I know far more than most, including you & the new guys in the class III world. 100% fact, not fiction.
    A quick look at your website clearly proves you don't stock SWR rifle cans. Only pistol cans are listed. Nuff said on that.

Regarding any Gemtech products, I stated I found a better rifle can. Gemtech rifle cans are not the best. It's been proven in military trials but, that info. is not always available to the general public. Get the hint yet ???????
    I have said they make a good 45 can (why else would I want one ?) but , I see you are trying to twist words to your benefit.
    Anyone can call any manufacturer to find out if they will be shipping anything to a certain dealer so they can make a purchase. SWR, SRT, AAC, Silencerco & others have done the same.
    I can only guess why you only chose to mention Gemtech.
    Bottom line is Robert lied to me about getting the 45 Blacksides in 3 weeks. That's not good business, period.
    Keep in mind that the internet is free public domain & everyone has the right to voice their opinions & feedback. I posted mine regardless whether you like it or not.
    If Robert had been truthful or had done a transaction without any problems, the feedback would have been different.
    I simply explained my personal experience, which wasn't good. Hard working paying customers deserve better.

TalonRob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Bottom line is Robert lied to me about getting the 45 Blacksides in 3 weeks. That's not good business, period.
    Keep in mind that the internet is free public domain & everyone has the right to voice their opinions & feedback. I posted mine regardless whether you like it or not.
    If Robert had been truthful or had done a transaction without any problems, the feedback would have been different.
    I simply explained my personal experience, which wasn't good. Hard working paying customers deserve better.

I am only going to respond to this as you seem to be calling me out here.
    I do have ONE Gemtech Blackside 45 with LID in the 5/8x24 thread pattern on order now. It was part of my 2010 stocking dealer package and it was MANDITORY that I order it. Because I don't know who you spoke to, I am unable to call and speak with that person to correct this. Also, the three week time frame was a GUESS as it seems to be taking the ATF around three weeks to process a form 3. If Gemtech just filed the Form 3, it is reasonable to expect a three week time frame for delivery.

You and I have spoken on the phone several times and I NEVER once told you to place an order for anything you did not want. I offered to facilitate a transfer for you if you decided to buy a suppressor that we did not carry. I made recommendations of other dealers you could contact that might have what you want.
    I made suggestions to you based on our experiences and customer feedback. At no time did I ever contradict your knowledge, opinions or information you have personally collected based on military trials, etc.

It is my opinion that we have treated you with respect and courtesy and I will offer my sincere apologies again if you felt that we have misled you in any way as that was never my intent.

Again, I would be more than happy to recommend another dealer to you if you feel that Talon Arms cannot be of service to you in a satisfactory manor.

Robert
    Talon Arms

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom