• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RevolverGuy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    Pretty much any gun I purchase is an older model.

The costs associated with buying on Gunbroker have gotten too out of hand for me. Shipping , sales tax, transfer fee, and now a “compliance” just add too much.

I guess if you’re looking for something specific and find it there, you grin & bear it.

Gun shows pretty much all suck and aren’t worth my time anymore, unless somebody knows a good one with 150 miles of Ft Worth.

My club, Parker County Sportsman’s club, has a regular “swap meet” reminiscent of the old school gun shows, only it’s small.
    Venture Surplus ad

Chewbacca7685

Certified Golf Cart Driver
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mission
    Pretty much any gun I purchase is an older model.

The costs associated with buying on Gunbroker have gotten too out of hand for me. Shipping , sales tax, transfer fee, and now a “compliance” just add too much.

I guess if you’re looking for something specific and find it there, you grin & bear it.

Gun shows pretty much all suck and aren’t worth my time anymore, unless somebody knows a good one with 150 miles of Ft Worth.

My club, Parker County Sportsman’s club, has a regular “swap meet” reminiscent of the old school gun shows, only it’s small.

Texas Gun Trader has quite a bit once you filter out the scammers and people that think their home built Glock and ARs are worth their weight in gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Here first, TGT, check for local auctions on Proxibid.
    If you can find the time, check all the local pawn shops. Old friend did it about once a month. He found out who the good ones were and left his name and number with an understanding of what he was looking for.
    One in particular started calling him anytime he had a potential one on the hook. They did some very good deals together, for many years.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Lot's of old guys have old guns problem is most won't let go of them.
    I have only three left but one is about accounted for.
    Be patient always have funds available and be willing to go for a drive sometimes. I've driven 300 miles each way to get something I really thought I needed.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    About half of my older models were found at pawn shops. However, if original box lock and papers are important, most Pawns won’t have them. My Browning Hi-Power is the only Pawn shop find that had the complete kit. All others were fire arm only

Eastexasrick

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    About half of my older models were found at pawn . However, if original box lock and papers are important, most Pawns won’t have them. My Browning Hi-Power is the only Pawn shop find that had the complete kit. All others were fire arm only
    I figure most of the folks that take guns into a pawn shop don't have a clue what they are worth, or that the box and paperwork increase the value. They just need some cash to get out of whatever shit they got themselves into. I have bought several from pawn shops, and quite a few from people on the way to the pawn shop, not one with the box, yet.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Remember when buying from pawn shops and auctions your purchase is AS IS.
    If it's flucked up you're stuck with it. Very few places will refund your money.
    This has never really freaked me out as I can find/replace parts WAY quicker than the local doofuss gun mechanic. I try to work the price down BECAUSE the gun isn't working properly. 10 minutes on de InnerWeBz usually results in a new part on the way. Five minutes to swap it out once it arrives and presto! A working gun.
    Yard sales can sometimes yield a gun or two.
    Texas Gun Trader has produced a few for me. Learn how to screen out the scammers.
    Word of mouth among co-workers or relatives can sometimes turn up something.
    If you're after a particular model you'll just have to pay up when you find it.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Yep, my 66-1 was got for the price of a used Glock. PO did a chit job painting the front sight white and really detracted from an otherwise nice specimen. Got it home and was able to scrape it off with my fingernail. That was my best find to date

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Pawn shops can turn up a decent find once in a while. Don’t expect to find Wild Bill Hickok’s engraved 1851 Navy.

With most pawn shops, thats all you'll find.

You'll also find Audie Murphy's universal M1 carbine, sks's used by the CIA in VN, Sgt. York's sporterized 1903a3, Pancho Villa's revolver, etc

Eastexasrick

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    With most pawn shops, thats all you'll find.

You'll also find Audie Murphy's universal M1 carbine, sks's used by the CIA in VN, Sgt. York's sporterized 1903a3, Pancho Villa's revolver, etc
    So your saying that Walker I bought from Big Billy's Bait-Pawn & Muffler Shop did not belong to Josie Wales?

Top Bottom