• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Ohio (But my heart is in Texas)
    So I am getting ready to dive into the reloading world, but I have a big question that I am not sure about. I have a house in the burbs, with an attached garage and (currently) no shed in the backyard. Where should I store the powder for safe keeping? I want to make sure I am being safe, but I don't have any "ideal" storage places for it.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.

j

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Are you looking for long term storage of 8lb jugs or just a few 1 lb cans that will be used relatively quickly.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Kinda on topic. Can you vacuum seal bulk primers and store indefinitely?

Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Are you looking for long term storage of 8lb jugs or just a few 1 lb cans that will be used relatively quickly.

Haven't decided yet. I suppose if I end up ordering powder online I'd rather get the 8LB jugs to make it worth the most bang for the buck with the hazmat fee, but would plan on using them.

Do you guys think it would be wise to get a larger ammo can to store them in and just put it somewhere somewhat isolated? in the house? I definitely worry about keeping it all in the garage as we go back into Summer. Just gets too hot in there.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Kinda on topic. Can you vacuum seal bulk primers and store indefinitely?

That's what I was thinking about. Use a longer bag than needed, and reseal when done using each time. I may be comfortable leaving them in the garage or shed if I did that.

FWIW, I keep mine in one of the Stack On gun cabinets inside. They're the thinner gauge metal like a filing cabinet. My thought is that they are more likely to help contain a fire than explode. Of course, I have no actual evidence to suggest this.

Dave W.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Its complicated
    Store gunpowder anywhere with low humidity, dry, ect with tempurature not to to exceed about 350F.

Same for primers but try and keep them under about 200F.
    I have kept gunpowder sealed in containers separate from the primers, both in the garage for years.
    Both of the temps I provided would leave roughly 20% reserve for thermal anomalies.
    If you have a primer or powder picked out you can contact the OEM for the MSDS sheet which will have actual flashpoint of the material.

Anyone that calls a gun safe a "bomb" because it has powder/primers in it, grossly misunderstands the physics involved in explosive ordinance OR has exceeded beyond any reasonable level their powder/primer storage in that safe.

Last edited:

Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Store gunpowder anywhere with low humidity, dry, ect with tempurature not to to exceed about 350F.

I have kept gunpowder sealed in containers separate from the primers, both in the garage for years.
    Both of the temps I provided would leave roughly 20% reserve for thermal anomalies.
    If you have a primer or powder picked out you can contact the OEM for the MSDS sheet which will have actual flashpoint of the material.

Anyone that calls a gun safe a "bomb" because it has powder/primers in it, grossly misunderstands the physics involved in explosive ordinance OR has exceeded beyond any reasonable level their powder/primer storage in that safe.

Thanks, Dave! Appreciate it. Thanks to everyone else for their recommendations, too. Well I did it, I got most of the stuff I need to get rolling on this. Spent a metric crap ton, but Natchez had some really killer prices (at least compared to everyone else I saw) AND they had things in stock. Oddly enough the most expensive single item I bought was the scale. I got an RCBS dispenser/scale combo. I definitely didn't want to skimp out on the scale.

Managed to get some carbide dies for the 9, .380 and .45, but everywhere is sold out of dies and bullets in .223 and .308 pretty much everywhere I've looked. Already have some Wolf primers, but still need powder. And I realized I forgot to buy a media separator. But other than that, I am set (minus some more dies for a few other calibers).

Speaking of RCBS, right now they have a deal going on where if you buy $50 of their stuff, they'll send you 100 bullets or $10 cash back. If you buy $300 they'll send you 500 bullets or $50 cash back. Took advantage of that for sure!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Just get a kitty litter scoop till you get your separator. I'm cheap so I use that and an old salad bowl with holes drilled in it.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress

You don't have 20# of powder and 20k primers at any one time?
    ;)

Some people have way more powder and primers on hand than they really should, but it keeps costs down.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I keep mine above the fireplace, I like to stack my powder on top of the primers so everything is nice and neat.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    lol brilliant. Definitely going to do this.

Quick tip: get a medium size and a large. Drill holes in the medium sized one and put in the bigger one. Scoop the brass in and you have a bowl large enough to catch all the media without making a mess. Don't pour it back in until you put your next batch of dirty brass in and the. Pour the media in the bowl over the top of it.

Not near as loud when you first turn it on that way.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Just get a kitty litter scoop till you get your separator. I'm cheap so I use that and an old salad bowl with holes drilled in it.
    I believe they make a thing called a colander, that is a big bowl with holes in it. Just don't use the one your wife already has.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I'm looking at getting into reloading. I'm fixin to have a shop (concrete floors & metal wall panels) so I'll finally have a place I could do something like this. Talk to me about "keeping it dry". It would basically be like keeping things in a garage (which I don't have).

Do I need to keep it in a cabinet / safe that is fairly sealed and use a dessicant / electric dehumidifier, or will things be OK outside on those foggy mornings?

Top Bottom