• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    Whatever you do not store powder in a tight sealed safe, locker etc. The reason if it did ignite it would be the same as in a cartridge case and explode. I keep mine in a wood cabnet that has vents and not sealed tight. Something ignites it and it will fize and spark, but not in an explosion.
    Hurley's Gold

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Store pre metered powder and primers in small brass containers, generally sealed with lead or copper covered lead to prevent moisture contamination.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Powder and primers need only be stored in a climate controlled environment where the temperature and humidity don't swing wildly (about 20%).

As for how much powder and primers you should store, the fire-marshal and your homeowner's insurance company should be able to answer that question.

Just remember that the "guidelines" err on the opinion that less is better.

I tend to swing the other way. I keep my powder and primers separated, by a few feet, and always keep them where they get good air circulation and are not exposed to direct sunlight.

In other words, on a wooden shelf in an interior closet right next to my safe, but NOT IN THE SAFE.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    So sounds like storing outside is a no go? That kind of sucks since the shop will be a good distance from the house.

Store pre metered powder and primers in small brass containers, generally sealed with lead or copper covered lead to prevent moisture contamination.

I do that now. I found a source for some pre-assembled, sealed containers that contain just that. :) They do tend to be a little more expensive though.

jbcalhoun

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Midland, TX.
    Primers will last indefinitely if kept dry. I have used some old primers my dad purchased around 1950 with no problems. Powder, if stored properly, will last many years also. Use the powder until it has that putrid smell. Your nose will tell you when it's bad.

I keep powder and primers in different cabinets in my machine shop, which also doubles as my reloading room. Oh, and keep the primers in their original container as they are protected from bumping against one another.

It isn't unusual for powder and primers to be shipped in the same box anymore. I have received them this way several times, from different vendors. Makes you wonder, doesn't it!

Brad

SciFiJim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    A good place for storage is an ice chest. This helps to keep the temp more constant. I cast my own bullets as well, so I put a layer of lead ingots in the bottom of the ice chest to work as a heat sink and keep the temps even more constant. The ice chest is in my shop, tucked into a corner under a bench.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    What do you guys do if the AC goes out for a couple days? Our AC unit keeps popping caps and will go out when we are not home. Of course this is on the hottest day(s) and it takes a few to get the AC fixed.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    If the world was a perfect place, the suggestions in this thread would be ideal for powder and primer storage. It doesn't work out that way for me.

I had to choose moderate conditions or safety. I keep my components in my barn. It's dry but not temperature or humidity controlled. I do keep primers in air tight baggies and powder in original containers. I keep the stuff in plastic containers that are used for pickup truck tool storage. I had them on a trailer but now I use them for powder/primer storage.

I simply refuse to keep powder or primers in the house except for the quantity I need for current reloading. Right now, I had to stop reloading 12 gauge because I ran out of goodies so tomorrow, I'll trek out to the barn and bring back about 200 hulls, 500 wads, 1 pound of powder and about 200 primers. That's the way I do it.

Flash

tribrother

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    I have used in the past used an old refrigerator working on the same principle as the ice chest, just bigger. When I built my workshop, I built a wood locker lined with boiler blanket that you can put a torch on one side and not feel it with your hand on the other. Clasp and lock for general safety on both. I want to keep the humidity low with descants and temp swings reasonable. The lead for a heat sink is a good idea, or your reloading bullets.
    Tribrother

Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Ohio (But my heart is in Texas)
    yeah I've been thinking about just keeping it all outside in the garage. Not perfect, since the garage is attached to the house, but I don't have anywhere else to the store them :( - I need to get a shed and a ventilation fan installed.

Or in a perfect world, I get a nice new plot of land with an awesome barn :)

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    What do you guys do if the AC goes out for a couple days? Our AC unit keeps popping caps and will go out when we are not home. Of course this is on the hottest day(s) and it takes a few to get the AC fixed.

I don't climate control my garage, so no idea. ;)

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have kept my primers in a green army ammo can for over 25 years. I have kids, so I put the can in remote place, generally in my office or closet. I loaded some rounds recently with 20 year primers with no problems. It seals up to keep them dry. I keep them in the house to avoid temp swings.

I keep my powder in the house too. Big jugs are on a shelf in my closet. Small cans are in three different boxes. One is a Sears plastic tool box. Works nice to hold about 10 different one lb containers.

What is the worry of them not being in a sealed container? Never heard that.

Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Ohio (But my heart is in Texas)
    I've been back and forth so much on it. I have been keeping primers in my closet where my safe is for the past year. I'll probably put the powder somewhere else. Just makes sense to keep them in a cooler (or more climate controlled anyway) place. And since my garage is attached it wouldn't really do much good anyway putting them in the garage.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The last time I put any ammo up in my garage was in Oklahoma. The daytime temperatures got up to 115 in my garage. In the winter, temps dropped to about 22 degrees. All the ammo I had stored still went bang, but never put a hole in the target --pppffftt!.

All the primers and powders I kept inside. Temperature never varied more than 10 degrees, and the humidity stayed steady at about 35%. Still use those primers and powders today.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I have kept my primers in a green army ammo can for over 25 years. I have kids, so I put the can in remote place, generally in my office or closet. I loaded some rounds recently with 20 year primers with no problems. It seals up to keep them dry. I keep them in the house to avoid temp swings.

I keep my powder in the house too. Big jugs are on a shelf in my closet. Small cans are in three different boxes. One is a Sears plastic tool box. Works nice to hold about 10 different one lb containers.

What is the worry of them not being in a sealed container? Never heard that.

What he said. Primers can be easily and safely kept in ammo boxes (most have a seal around the top). I've used primers that I know for a fact had been in a coffee can in a garage (still in the boxes) for over 15 years. As long as the powder is sealed after use and kept away from flames or sparks, they won't do anything but sit there. Humidity "might" kill them if they were exposed unsealed and out of the box for an extended length (months or years). And as said earlier, if a powder smells kinda' rancid, it's probably not good to reload with but it makes neat fizzing fires when lit outside after being poured on the ground! That stuff will last a lonnnng time. :D

Top Bottom