DK Firearms

Which red dot/reflex sight should I go with?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aggie_12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Sinton, TX
    Hello, new here! Name is Darren and I am down in the Corpus Christi area. I know this question has been asked a million times but I am looking for some clarification also. Right now I have my AR setup for decent long range shots with a 4-12x Nikon and a Burris PEPR Quick Detach mount. I'm thinking about changing things up and setting up my AR for closer range shots/easier target acquisition by putting a red dot or reflex sight on it. I just recently purchased some land with a decent amount of hog activity so I'd like the AR to have with me and then have the deer rifle for long shots. I will probably end up selling my PEPR QD mount since I wont need that anymore when I put that scope on a .17.

Right now I am looking at the Burris Fastfire III, Bushnell TRS-25, Sightmark Pro-Spec Digital Switch.

I know the prices are kind of all over the place but I want something that won't crap out on me with minimal use. I take care of my purchases so I hate when something craps out on my quickly. I have read extremely good reviews about the TRS-25 but I wanted to get some feedback about the differences between that type of red dot vs a reflex. Are there any big advantages or disadvantages?
    I like the way the reflex sights look and sit on the gun better but I'm going for usability not looks, so if one performs better then that is what I want. The burris is a little on the high side of what I am looking to spend now but if it is a far superior product then I might go that route. Especially if I sell my QD mount.

Can't wait to see what advice y'all have, I'm fairly new to the AR scene
    Military Camp

Aggie_12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Sinton, TX
    Also I have the fixed front iron sight so what should I do about that? Would it be best to get a riser for one of these sights or do I have to get one? I have the magpul flip up rear sight

JimBobKelley

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 28, 2010
    Welcome to TGT. You do know we have an "Introduce yourself" thread so you could introduces yourself, right? No harm in your first post here but just FYI.

I prescribe to the buy once cry once mentality however I did have an Aimpoint H-1 and sent it back. I currently have a Primary Arms micro red-dot, it's an Aimpoint clone made in China, that I run on my HD suppressed SBR. I love it! Yes it's made in China and the battery life is no where near the Aimpoint, but I like it. To my eyes it looks better than the Aimpoint and it was only $89 when I bought it. I don't treat it gently or worry about it not being as rugged as an Aimpoint. If it breaks then it's only $89 to replace. The folks at PA are top notch. Their CS is awesome!

JimBobKelley

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 28, 2010
    Also I have the fixed front iron sight so what should I do about that? Would it be best to get a riser for one of these sights or do I have to get one? I have the magpul flip up rear sight

I have the MagPul front and rear flip up sights. My red-dot sits in a Larue QD mount. The mount actually cost more than the optic but it is solid.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Aimpoint PRO is a nice package. Some vendors like Palmetto State Arms have special sales on them every so often for around $360.

It comes with a mount worth ~$100 so really you only pay $260 for the red dot -> about the cost of a Burris Fastfire III. The fixed front sight is no big deal if you get a mount that allows the RDS to cowitness. The one the PRO comes with should be fine.

If I didn't already have a bunch of Aimpoint M3s I'd be all over the PROs.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I can't see $400 to $500 or more for a red dot unless I was an "operator" 'cause I won't be dragging around in the sand, rolling down a hill, etc. Nothing wrong with spending the money if you need to, it just isn't necessary in my situation. As a personal preference, I like a single 3 m.o.a. dot or smaller with no circles, chevrons, hash marks, etc. The Primary Arms stuff is pretty good to the best of my knowledge. I bought a small red dot for my nephew and it has worked well for several years. I tried a FastFire on my AR and found that it was too low to use without some sort of riser. Just my two bits.

Aggie_12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Sinton, TX
    I appreciate all of the replies and how quick y'all were! I will definitely look into the PA optics and see if I find anything that catches my eye.

I have to agree with Charlie on this one, for my situation right now, I can't see myself spending that much money on an optic so I am going to check out some of the suggestions and see what I think.

What is y'alls opinion on red dots vs reflex sights? I had cancer when I was 5 and lost my left eye, just in case one might work differently because of that. I have never used either but I like the way the reflex sights look but I want something with a good battery life and will last a long time with proper care. From what I have read online and in this forum, I want to go with a 3MOA dot by it self like Charlie stated.

Aggie_12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Sinton, TX
    I really like all the things that I have read about the PA red dots, I think I might give one of them a try. Anyone have any preference on which one they like the best and why?

After reading about co witnessing, i think I am going to go with an absolute co witness setup...what riser or mount would I need with a microdot to achieve this? I'd rather not spend a fortune on a mount since I dont want anything fancy but I'm curious to see what mounts are available for this setup. I would like a permanent mount that is not QD because I dont plan on taking it off unless I change out sights, especially because it will be an abs co witness so I can use the iron sights with the red dot. But I will consider a QD mount if its cheaper/the same price and has good reviews. Thanks

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I am a HUGE Primary Arms fan. I have bought two different red dots through them and a 6x magnifier. I am extremely happy with my PA Micro Dot.

With that said-I have recently found another Texas based company who seems to make some good products. I have one of their shotgun red dots on my Mossberg 500, and it is a very well built sight that comes with as good of a customer service team backing you as PA. Look into TruGlo. Here's a link to their red dots: TRUGLO

Iamntxhunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2014
    Save your cash for an aimpoint PRO or an Eotech. They are worth the extra money IMO.

I know you aren't wanting to spend this much but in the end I think you would be happy that you did. I personally like the EO Tech but everyone has their own preference. For the money the Aimpoint PRO is probably your best bang for the buck.

Last edited:

OnyxATX

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I really, really love my EOTech XPS2 on one of the ARs. On my 870 I have a Meprolight M21 that I enjoy, no batteries is always a plus (tridium and fiberoptic power).

I do like Aimpoint PROs quite a bit... on paper everything says "better than your XPS2!" but in practice, I just like using the EOTech more.

A big part is also about what you intend to do with your rifle. When I'm out hunting, I'm not some "sit in a stand and go home if it rains" type of guy. I'm frequently in mud, rain, crawling under fences, heavy brush, and I don't baby the weapon. I've been laying in the mud, motionless in horrid rain and lightning for hours after this stupid hog.... and it was extremely nice to not have to worry about my EOTech acting up.

The way I see it, is if an optic, weapon, flashlight, etc can't make it through a couple days of hunting in awful conditions, then it shouldn't be something I trust if I'm REALLY on my own and depend on it. That being said, I've got range toys with cheaper optics that do just fine. I just don't trust them the same.

Aggie_12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Sinton, TX
    I decided to try out a Primary Arms micro dot for now and see how it holds up. After reading many reviews and forum posts on PA, I am excited to see the product and how it performs. I am hoping it will be here by Monday. I ordered it Thursday I'm pretty sure. Once I am settled in my new property and house I will look for a more expensive optic. Appreciate all of the responses and information

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    I decided to try out a Primary Arms micro dot for now and see how it holds up. After reading many reviews and forum posts on PA, I am excited to see the product and how it performs. I am hoping it will be here by Monday. I ordered it Thursday I'm pretty sure. Once I am settled in my new property and house I will look for a more expensive optic. Appreciate all of the responses and information

Nothing wrong with keepin your cash in TX. I'm very happy with one of their lights and tape switches on my AR

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    PA makes lights and pressure switches? I thought they only sold other companies' products. I'm gonna have to go look into one of those, because the ones I've been trying have been crap.

Aggie_12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Sinton, TX
    Nothing wrong with keepin your cash in TX. I'm very happy with one of their lights and tape switches on my AR

Another big reason that I ordered from PA! haha Also helps when Marshall will answer every question that you have and work with you in anyway that he can to make sure the customer is satisfied. Excellent customer service!

Top Bottom