Guns International

Why Are So Many Selling or WTB On The Site?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Yeah, I know. Perhaps we can return to the reason the thread was started?

Here's my current new posts page. Is the presence of 3 ads really getting in the way of using the forum? I know some dealers will list multiple items at the same time and the page will suddenly be half ads but those situations are transitory. This is more or less what I usually see. Is it really so bad or am I just trying to draw conclusions from an incomplete data set? Also, is it somehow worse when using a phone or Tapatalk to view the forum?

View attachment 295207

I think this is what people find annoying:

1640280329807.png

This is not hard to fix though. Ignore the user, he's clearly just selling here, or setup the classified forums to be filtered out. I can walk anyone through it that wants to do that.
    Texas SOT

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …Tapatalk…

Entirely different experience than browser based. Let’s just say I can tell exactly when a seller bumps each thread. There’s one guy who usually bumps multiple like clockwork. I usually just opt to mark all threads as read at that point and see what populates later.

The classifieds section can be administered in a variety of ways to either minimize or maximize impact to the membership; the real question that needs to be answered is what value and risk does having a classifieds section bring to the sight.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Oh....hey...I actually already put together a tutorial on how to customize your news feed.

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County

Here's my current new posts page. Is the presence of 3 ads really getting in the way of using the forum? I know some dealers will list multiple items at the same time and the page will suddenly be half ads but those situations are transitory. This is more or less what I usually see. Is it really so bad or am I just trying to draw conclusions from an incomplete data set? Also, is it somehow worse when using a phone or Tapatalk to view the forum?

View attachment 295207
    Worse on phone but it cycles off the screen within minutes.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    It don't bug me I think its not as "horrid" as some make it out to be.

View attachment 295207

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    So I'm in the unread post group of users and yes it gets filled when someone goes and bumps all of their ads. I've never used the ignore feature because of FOMO, but figured it was worth it in a few cases. My unread post section cleared up greatly. Thanks for the tip.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I just did an 'ignore' on a poster with many selling ads and poof my new post forum area cleared out about 90% of the annoying ads.

I knew I could do it this way, but hesitated.

Now, with the influx of a boatload of new guys wanting sell/buy/trade here, I'll be exercising this option a LOT more.

Those new guys that look at this site as e-bay aren't people I'm interested in anyway, so off with their figurative heads!

Why am I not interested in the classifieds?

Because I'm not interested in: Buying/Selling etc.

If I want something I'll buy it retail and sell nothing.

I give away rather than bother with selling and I've never done a 'trade' in my life and have no desire to now.

Now, get off my lawn!

Last edited:

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I just did an 'ignore' on a poster with many selling ads and poof my new post forum area cleared out about 90% of the annoying ads.

I knew I could do it this way, but hesitated.

Now, with the influx of a boatload of new guys wanting sell/buy/trade here, I'll be exercising this option a LOT more.

Those new guys that look at this site as e-bay aren't people I'm interested in anyway, so off with their figurative heads!

Why am I not interested in the classifieds?

Because I'm not interested in: Buying/Selling etc.

If I want something I'll buy it retail and sell nothing.

I give away rather than bother with selling and I've never done a 'trade' in my life and have desire to now.

Now, get off my lawn!
    Take a walk on the crotchety bastard side.

I like it.

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Oh....hey...I actually already put together a tutorial on how to customize your news feed.

Thank you.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring

That is a dadgum weird way to approach how to view a forum. I would have never thought of it.

Which is why you're a genius. I had been searching for a way to do exactly that and I couldn't figure it out. There's add-on software for the board that could make the process simpler but would require much more trouble on the back end.

Thank you for showing us a way to accomplish something that has been requested a few times by other members. That's an incredibly valuable post.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    That is a dadgum weird way to approach how to view a forum. I would have never thought of it.

Which is why you're a genius. I had been searching for a way to do exactly that and I couldn't figure it out. There's add-on software for the board that could make the process simpler but would require much more trouble on the back end.

Thank you for showing us a way to accomplish something that has been requested a few times by other members. That's an incredibly valuable post.
    Sticky material

Top Bottom