Patriot Mobile

Why don't they tell me when something is broken?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    rant

Why the hell doesn't my family tell me when something isn't right until it's FUBAR'd? Wife says "my brakes sound weird" in her car - no shit - because there is no pad left and you're scraping the backing plate on the disk. Did you never hear the squealers going off? Or my kid telling my wife his car is "undriveable" because of something - like she's going to fix it. Grumble - I guess I need to figure that out this evening. Or my daughter doesn't tell me her toilet is leaking and re-filling the tank every 30 minutes until a house guest lets me know. Are people are that clueless?

ByrdMan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Wasilla, AK
    Or my wife telling me something is broken when I'm literally 4000 miles away in Alaska where I work. Dear, call the repairman, I can't do anything from here. LOL

She is good about telling me though when she thinks something is wrong so I feel for ya man.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    May not work to well with the Boss but teach (make) them do the repairs, or at least as much as they can. Not only will they learn something but hopefully appreciate the process better too.

If the rotors need turning or replacing, make sure she's aware of the extra cost and time/labor.

Last edited:

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    crying-baby-smiley-emoticon.gif

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    I know exactly how you feel. It doesn't matter how much you complain though, they will never change because they know you're going to fix it anyway. Sometimes I wish I didn't know how to turn wrenches.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    You have to tell your wife when something is wrong with her car and she has to tell you when those pants go out of stye and you should quit wearing them.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I know exactly how you feel. It doesn't matter how much you complain though, they will never change because they know you're going to fix it anyway. Sometimes I wish I didn't know how to turn wrenches.

+100

Ill one up you. Ex-wife's husband couldn't check oil to save his life. After he hacks up whatever needs fixin.....The ex-wife calls me.

After fixing his mess. He gets emasculated in front of his wife. Which leads to very interesting dynamics cuz his wife ~called~ me.

Offered to show him what to do but that just leads to what I'd describe as an epileptic monkey with a pipe wrench, performing brain surgery.

Last edited:

sdismukes

Bending nails and making sawdust
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2014
    Erath County
    MsDis used to be clueless - waited until the thing stranded her in the middle of Bumf**k Texas. Wasn't the middle of nowhere, but you see it from where she ended up. Turned out to be a simple fix THREE MONTHS AGO, but not now (fuel pump acted up, now it quit on her. Still needed a new pump, but now add a tow, about a hunnert miles!! And that time waiting for the truck to show up).

Made sure she understood "the car dying now and again, but it started back up OK" wasn't normal. The car ain't Windows - it don't get the blue screen of death and you think it's OK.

Now it's almost too far the other way - but she's PAYING ATTENTION now. Most recently the yellow ABS light comes on, she parks it, then calls. I tell her it's OK, (a) it's yellow and (b) it's the antilock brakes - not a life-or-death issue. Drive it, and we'll get it looked at. Earlier it'd be months before something yellow would remind her to tell me about it. Or something RED...

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    So womanlike.

I keep reminding her to get the oil changed -- she doesn't until I do.

She tells me one day last month, the engine in her car seems to be mis firing.

"How long, I ask."

Three or four months, she says.

Take it to the shop, I says.

Cost her $350 for spark plugs, wires, injector and air induction service.

Could have done that repair job myself for less than half the price, but there comes a point in time to teach a Woman that cars don't run for ever without maintenance.

I canceled her break-down coverage with the insurance company. Told her next time her car breaks down on the side of the road to call a tow truck and a cab.

Me? I'll hoist a cold one till she gets home.

Be well.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I actually have a buddy that a few months ago, his significant other decided that the brakes weren't working well and had to press on them even harder. Needed all new rotors across the board. They squeal for a reason....

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I am totally responsible for service and repair of my vehicles and home. It won't get done if I don't do it. That sounds like a PITA but it's beautiful in a way. I schedule maintenance when it's convenient for me and at a cost that I can live with. I rely on NO ONE and I'm never disappointed!

"OH, I meant to tell you, we're out of toilet paper."
    It NEVER happens in this house!

Flash

Last edited:

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    This was in the days of 17cent full service gas stations. My mom had her car and My dad had his. She didn't like him to drive her car much less work on it. He made a log book for her with things to check weekly, like oil level, coolant, air, etc. Every Saturday, dad did the checks on his car but not hers. One time, he told her that it appeared one of her tires needed air and she should have the service station check it.

A week or two later, she was on the way to an appointment and that tire went flat. Dad asked how come she hadn't had the air checked and filled. Her response was she was in a hurry the last time she stopped at the gas station and didn't do it. He asked her if five more minutes at the station was more bother than 45 minutes waiting on a tow-truck?

After that, she checked all that stuff on Saturdays along side my dad.

Just for the record, her car was a '49 Plymouth coupe and dad's was a '56 Chevy Belaire. Mine had pedals but was a 55 Chevy.

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The first house that I owned was in Tulsa. I dated a tall, slender blond named Rita who loved to get out in the sunshine to do yard work. The woman was NOT dumb. She graduated from college, and eventually became a CPA.

Rita wanted to mow the little yard so I checked the mower then showed her a drain clean out pipe at the corner of the lot that was too high to clear the mower blade. Picture this:

I pointed to the pipe, told her the blade would hit that pipe with catastrophic damage to the mower. "See this pipe....right here?" "Yes, I see that pipe", she replied.

I walked around into the back yard and within FIVE minutes, heard a BANG! After hurrying over to her, she told me that he had hit the pipe and I found that the crankshaft on the mower was bent like a wet noodle! It was totaled!

Can you believe that crap?

Flash

Last edited:

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    rant

Why the hell doesn't my family tell me when something isn't right until it's FUBAR'd? Wife says "my brakes sound weird" in her car - no shit - because there is no pad left and you're scraping the backing plate on the disk. Did you never hear the squealers going off? Or my kid telling my wife his car is "undriveable" because of something - like she's going to fix it. Grumble - I guess I need to figure that out this evening. Or my daughter doesn't tell me her toilet is leaking and re-filling the tank every 30 minutes until a house guest lets me know. Are people are that clueless?

Mine didn't realize the top floor air conditioner was out, and that it was running all day without turning off.

Top Bottom