• ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    576993_498555520171921_79309875_n.jpg

Mostly, it's good, cheap fun. The pistol's been 100% reliable, and I don't know how many rounds I've put through it. It's into the thousands, since sometimes I like shooting a bulk pack in a single range session. I've had the pistol about a year and a half... The only ammo I found that it didn't like was Wolf Match rifle ammo that seemed too tight for the chamber. Oh, well, it loves every single brand of filthy cheap bulk ammo I can get my hands on. I like to run plated ammo because scrubbing lead out of a barrel sucks. Even with the filthy bulk ammo, cleaning is "once in a while". I've only stripped the pistol twice since I owned it.

Being able to shoot more and more often is a good way to hone your pistol skills. I generally keep an overall slow pace, loading five in the magazines, making shots count and taking a lot of breaks. You'll get more out of your range time this way, and fatigue won't cause you to start creating bad habits. There's not much reason to dump ammo through the Ruger, since recoil control isn't an big issue with .22. The perceived recoil is actually a bit on the high side for a .22 because the bolt is pretty heavy, but still nowhere close to a defensive caliber pistol. With the Mk II, I mostly work on my marksmanship while remembering to concentrate on working the trigger properly - prep, break and reset, and even though I'm practicing, I'm still having fun doing it. Yesterday I found out it takes about 100 rounds of .22 to blow the X ring completely out of a CHL target at 10 yards. I'm sure if I'd tried harder, I could have done it faster, by shooting at parts of the target that were hanging on more than I already did, but for the most part, it was just front sight on X, fire. The Mk II is a stupid accurate pistol. More accurate than I am. When I miss, I know it's me and can usually identify the problem as the shot fires.

How accurate? When you get bored shooting a ragged hole in your target, you can switch to shooting shotgun shells that are laying against the berm... on a 25 yard range. Do your part, you'll hit them. I've tried shooting bugs off my target, but haven't quite managed to pull that one off yet (little bastards are hard to track, never going in a straight line and changing direction at random). Shooting at the score zone numbers is fun. So is shooting at the little scoring guide in the upper left corner of a CHL target. Anything to make it more of a challenge, more fun, which in turn winds up increasing your skill with the pistol, which also increases your skill with all pistols.

I like to think the Mk II has saved me a ton of money, but what it's really done is let me shoot a lot more. I definitely can't afford to run this much 9mm or .45.

Go get a .22 target pistol. Thank me later.
    Military Camp

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Good article M. Sage. I recently picked up a Ruger SR22 pistol for the same reason...affordable practice. I've heard great things about the Mk. II and Mk. III and after playing with Sugar Land's 22/45 a couple of times I'm pretty sure one of them is in my future as well. You just can't beat rimfire for pistol or rifle marksmanship and fundamentals practice. They all make it excruciatingly obvious where your flaws lie and allow you to get in the trigger time required to improve your skills.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yep, that little .22 cal hole don't lie, that's for sure.

One skill I picked up (and use in 3 gun) from shooting the crap out of this pistol is how to hit a target that's smaller than my front sight.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I love my .22 pistol, a Browning Buckmark. Been meaning to pick up a Ruger Mk but even the used ones are rough on the pocketbook. I'll keep my eye out on TGT classifieds in case someone wants to part with theirs for a resonable price. There's something really enjoyable about shooting .22s... maybe it has something to do with less stress because you aren't sending a dollar down range with each trigger pull

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The Buckmark is just as good IMO. The slide is lighter, so you don't get as much perceived recoil, and I think the grip angle is a little better for me. A friend of mine has one, and I really enjoy shooting it. It's one of the reasons I wound up getting a .22 target pistol.

I found mine LNIB for $250, so keep your eye open. They're out there.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    I have a blast with mine. I have the most fun shooting my .22 than any other guns I have. Its not uncommon to shoot a 1000 a session. Its fun shooting 5 and dime. I recommend everyone pick one up and have a blast.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I got a Buckmark recently and I love it. Range trips are way cheaper and my wife likes to shoot it too. TDSA has a. 22 gallery with steel, I could spend all day there.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I got a Buckmark recently and I love it. Range trips are way cheaper and my wife likes to shoot it too. TDSA has a. 22 gallery with steel, I could spend all day there.

Oh, man. Steel targets? Hog heaven. I love reactive targets. Paper is just boring now.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    Oh, man. Steel targets? Hog heaven. I love reactive targets. Paper is just boring now.

Sage, you just gotta buy 50 acres of land and set up a private range. I'll buy all the steel targets for ya... it's the least I can do for a lifetime membership, lol.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Travis County
    Post some groups!

I bought a recent 22/45 and had to send it back because the crown was jacked up. Ruger QC has gotten a little shoddy as of late.

This is what the crown looks like after they worked on it :

IMG_0874.jpg

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Post some groups!

I bought a recent 22/45 and had to send it back because the crown was jacked up. Ruger QC has gotten a little shoddy as of late.

This is what the crown looks like after they worked on it :

View attachment 15828

Holy chatter marks!

Target on the left is mine from yesterday. I got the two to my right just to be a jerk. :p

423972_498557396838400_426864366_n.jpg

Sadly, those two targets were far from the worst out there...

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011

Why I HATE the rat bastard M. Sage

Because he described shooting the Ruger so well that I've spent the last 3 hours searching for a nice 22 pistol.

Top Bottom