• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dcfis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    ATX
    A personal Defense round is not for shooting through barriers its strictly a save your arse round. What Im getting at is only its performance on a body thats close. Thanks for the links guys!
    His point is valid, just worded a bit antagonistic.

Think of the other barriers the FBI tests through, like steel (car doors), auto glass (laminated and standard), etc. and you start to see where .380 is limited. The cartridge itself is underpowered (like virtually all handgun rounds), and on top of that the guns themselves are generally short barreled. Velocity measures a solid 100 - 150 FPS slower in the LCP than actual testing ammo (which uses a 4"+ long barrel).

Pushing a 95 grain bullet at 850 - 900 FPS is much different than a 124 grain bullet at 1050 FPS. That's why the 9mm Luger performs so much better in penetration testing. It has the same cross section but significantly more velocity and inertia. When you start to compare .40 S&W and .45 ACP you start to make slight gains in energy, but you have more cross section; hence why they don't generally perform significantly better than 9mm.

In the end, will a .380 work? Gun fights have proven that the .380 is a suitable round for defensive work. It's just a matter of understanding your capabilities, and making good hits when the opportunity presents itself.

Will I carry a .380 on a daily basis? No, and that has more to do with the fact that I don't like the package (pocket guns) as a primary defensive pistol.

Will I carry a .380 for a back-up? Absolutely. I feel that this is the best suited role for the .380 pistols.
    Gun Zone Deals

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    A personal Defense round is not for shooting through barriers its strictly a save your arse round. What Im getting at is only its performance on a body thats close. Thanks for the links guys!

There is a very real chance you will have to fire through a barrier of some sort. Walls, car doors, auto glass, etc. are all commonly shot and have large effects on the performance of handgun rounds.

Knowing how the rounds perform against certain barriers is vital knowledge to know what is hard cover and what is not, and what is an acceptable hard background "catch" and what is not.

That is why the FBI does testing on the various barriers ... because they are a legitimate part of a gun fight.

dcfis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    ATX
    Sure, part of a gunfight. Not part of a strictly self defense scenario. You have already lost if you are in that situation with a 7 shot pocket pistol. I wasnt talking about perusing a BG like a LEO or going solo strike team, strictly as a last resort up close to defend yourself and provide time to get away to somewhere safe.
    There is a very real chance you will have to fire through a barrier of some sort. Walls, car doors, auto glass, etc. are all commonly shot and have large effects on the performance of handgun rounds.

Knowing how the rounds perform against certain barriers is vital knowledge to know what is hard cover and what is not, and what is an acceptable hard background "catch" and what is not.

That is why the FBI does testing on the various barriers ... because they are a legitimate part of a gun fight.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Long story short: the goal is to make a big hole and dump as much energy into a person as possible in an area that will either disrupt bodily functions or persuade them to stop an attack.

Two ways to do that: Heavy and slow or Lite and fast.

If the bullet exits the body the energy remaining is lost.

Once you've done your best to shoot someone while in fear of your life and assuming you hit them and you didn't choose a caliber or round that will disrupt bodily functions or persuade the bad guy to stop an attack before they kill you, you've made the wrong choice.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Long story short: the goal is to make a big hole and dump as much energy into a person as possible in an area that will either disrupt bodily functions or persuade them to stop an attack.

Two ways to do that: Heavy and slow or Lite and fast.

If the bullet exits the body the energy remaining is lost.

Once you've done your best to shoot someone while in fear of your life and assuming you hit them and you didn't choose a caliber or round that will disrupt bodily functions or persuade the bad guy to stop an attack before they kill you, you've made the wrong choice.

So.
    With pistols, energy deposition has nothing to do with it. The "energy" of handgun rounds is pretty small. Bullets are small. Sure they are going fast, but if you compare the energy to other things, like a baseball bat, its not that much. You want tissue damage to drain that blood from the body.

I want my bullets to go through though the bad guy. I want my bullets to go through the deer I shoot. Granted, one is with a rifle, where I want two holes to drain blood so I can track the deer its not completely unrelated. You might say that I should be worried about hurting a good guy behind the bad guy. While this isn't impossible, the odds of a bullet going into a bad guy, exiting, then hitting a good guy are pretty small. And hopefully the bullet would have spent most of its energy and would be less deadly. I'm much more worried about the misses flying in the air.

Modern bullets are incredibly well designed to expand in a controlled fasion to get the desired penetration if they hit in the approprate velocity range. They can't make miracles, but they are a ton better than they were 20 years ago.

Steve M

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Central Texas
    I answered the your technical question, "why is penetration so important", but I can see this is really a mindset discussion.

"I say old chap, would you mind stepping out from behind that cover, it's not very sporting you know!" Sounds silly, doesn't it?

As a good guy, you don't pick the gunfight, it picks you. Having preconceived limits about "the scenario" or when "you have already lost" are self-defeating.

Further, excluding the possibility of having to penetrate a thick jacket, drywall, or car window from "personal defense" ammo is absurd.

Not trying to be antagonistic, but trying to get this discussion headed in a productive direction.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Sure, part of a gunfight. Not part of a strictly self defense scenario. You have already lost if you are in that situation with a 7 shot pocket pistol. I wasnt talking about perusing a BG like a LEO or going solo strike team, strictly as a last resort up close to defend yourself and provide time to get away to somewhere safe.

What if that gun fight starts in your car? What if after the first round the attacker takes cover behind a car? What if he takes cover behind a steel product display?

There are numerous opportunities from a CHL perspective that involve barriers. Not every encounter you will be met with will be contact distance, and the vast majority of them will be encountered in a method that is advantageous to the attacker.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    As a good guy, you don't pick the gunfight, it picks you. Having preconceived limits about "the scenario" or when "you have already lost" are self-defeating.

Further, excluding the possibility of having to penetrate a thick jacket, drywall, or car window from "personal defense" ammo is absurd.

I agree, and this is the method behind my argument.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    You might say that I should be worried about hurting a good guy behind the bad guy.

Every possible ounce of energy should be taken into the worse place possible of the bg and none left over for the bullet to exit or even reach further into the BG. Safety has little to do with it.

Hunting something and stopping a person have two different goals. The tools of assassination and defense may share some attributes but they should be separate categories and not confused.

We'd all agree you can stop someone with a .22lr and with correct shot placement. ANYTHING else in my opinion is to increase the odds in your favor.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Every possible ounce of energy should be taken into the worse place possible of the bg and none left over for the bullet to exit or even reach further into the BG. Safety has little to do with it.

Hunting something and stopping a person have two different goals. The tools of assassination and defense may share some attributes but they should be separate categories and not confused.

We'd all agree you can stop someone with a .22lr and with correct shot placement. ANYTHING else in my opinion is to increase the odds in your favor.

I agree with most of what your saying. I just always find it funny how people go hunting and want "2 holes" and now all of sudden a self defense situation the same thing is "wasting energy."

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    I agree with most of what your saying. I just always find it funny how people go hunting and want "2 holes" and now all of sudden a self defense situation the same thing is "wasting energy."
    Hunting something and stopping a person have two different goals

You want to kill a deer, bleeding them out with "two holes" is acceptable. You aren't fighting them off. If you shoot and they run off your hope is they bleed out.

This isn't the same when you try to stop someone in self defense. You want to maximize the bullets energy to stop them ASAP.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Hunting something and stopping a person have two different goals

You want to kill a deer, bleeding them out with "two holes" is acceptable. You aren't fighting them off. If you shoot and they run off your hope is they bleed out.

This isn't the same when you try to stop someone in self defense. You want to maximize the bullets energy to stop them ASAP.

The rules are the same as far as wanting to kill them quickly. The issue is that bullets exiting a deer in the woods or out in the country are in a MUCH safer environment. I do not want two holes in a person, I want them to catch all the bullets I fire at them for the sake of any innocent bystanders that may be behind them.

I do not find any degree of wounding acceptable for 3rd parties, and the entire applicable usage of JHP munitions is to reduce the chance of the bullet exiting.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    I do not find any degree of wounding acceptable for 3rd parties, and the entire applicable usage of JHP munitions is to reduce the chance of the bullet exiting.

WIKI (quickest reference I could find) and I disagree.

Hollow-point bullet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would agree safety due to less over penetration is a benifit

I'll maintain that JHP's primary reason is used for the following:

to increase its size once within the target maximizing tissue damage and blood loss or shock
    remaining in the target to expend all of its kinetic energy in the target

Case in point they are outlawed for use in warfare :-)

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Going over the ballistics of Hornaday CD .380 ammo penetrating through 10+" of heavy material and Gelatin to full expansion. Why does this make sense? Im the heaviest I have ever been at 230 lbs and am less than 9" from front to back. Even a .380 would pass through. Would it not make more sense to design a bullet that would dump all its energy into the first 5-6"? Everyone rages about penetration this or that but to me in a personal defense round a fully expanding round in real body dimensions makes more sense. I can understand the need to penetrate barriers and car doors for a police round. Please educate me.

Go into your bathroom. Face a mirror. Now take a pistol shooting stance. Notice something in front of your vitals? Your arms.

As others said, ballistic gelatin doesn't act exactly like a flesh and blood creature. It simulates muscle, but people are more than just muscle. We're skin (tougher than you realize), bone and other stuff. And no two critters (human or not) are going to give the exact same reaction to a bullet hitting them in any given area. Individual physical differences can give wildly different results. That's why gelatin is used instead of actual living creatures - it's consistent, a known quantity. Using it allows a more scientific way to test and develop ammunition.

After consulting with people who know, the FBI came to the conclusion that 12" is the minimum acceptable penetration for ammunition. Less, you risk not hitting vital organs reliably. 16" is the other end of this zone, but only because more is energy wasted in the form of recoil and muzzle blast.

The problem with your argument is that handguns don't have enough energy that you can "dump" it into a target and cause more damage. No matter what, a handgun in .380 up to 10mm is going to poke a hole, period. It's not like a rifle or shotgun where you'll get a significant stretch cavity. Hollow points do two things - increase the cavity size slightly and reduce the chances of a bullet still being lethal should it exit the other guy. That's about it.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Case in point they are outlawed for use in warfare :-)

Because all laws forbidding something are based on truth?

That ban was put in place at the beginning of the era of smaller, lighter bullets traveling at velocities above 2000 FPS. The terminal ballistics of the stuff weren't entirely understood yet, but the Brits (always at the forefront of efficiency in killing) started experimenting with soft-nosed ammunition at the Dum-Dum arsenal. Other European powers got scared and suddenly there was a ban on the stuff.

It's kind of like the fairly recent treaty to ban cluster bombs. It wasn't for humanitarian reasons, it was because the damn things are so effective.

And it's not hollow points that are banned under the first Hague Convention of 1899, it's bullets that are designed to expand or flatten easily in the human body. HP match rifle ammo is fine because it does neither - it fragments.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Because all laws forbidding something are based on truth?

That ban was put in place at the beginning of the era of smaller, lighter bullets traveling at velocities above 2000 FPS. The terminal ballistics of the stuff weren't entirely understood yet, but the Brits (always at the forefront of efficiency in killing) started experimenting with soft-nosed ammunition at the Dum-Dum arsenal. Other European powers got scared and suddenly there was a ban on the stuff.

It's kind of like the fairly recent treaty to ban cluster bombs. It wasn't for humanitarian reasons, it was because the damn things are so effective.

And it's not hollow points that are banned under the first Hague Convention of 1899, it's bullets that are designed to expand or flatten easily in the human body. HP match rifle ammo is fine because it does neither - it fragments.

That comment was more of a red herring. Hence the smile.

Sent from my Liberty using Tapatalk

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'll maintain that JHP's primary reason is used for the following:

to increase its size once within the target maximizing tissue damage and blood loss or shock
    remaining in the target to expend all of its kinetic energy in the target

The energy of a bullet is weak compared to say the energy contained in a punch. The difference is the bullet impacts the body at a much higher velocity which imparts an impact loading beyond that of a punch. The impact shock is what tears flesh in a rifle round, but in a pistol round you don't get sufficient velocity and impact to do that.

That simply just leaves crushing as the primary method of damage in the body, and that's exactly what pistol rounds do. They simply crush. In that regard the JHP isn't significantly more damaging compared to an FMJ. While the JHP has a wider area due to expansion, it also doesn't do as well against bone and other hard targets. If I'm taking a pelvis shot, I don't want a JHP ... I want an FMJ.

Ultimately there is give and take with any munition, including JHP.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009

... unless you START the gunfight, it IS a self defense scenario.

if you want something to give you time to run away, buy a smoke grenade. if you want to be properly prepared, for any scenario carry a hi capacity 9mm with some +p+ on tap.

then put your .380 in your ankle holster incase your real gun breaks.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michaelm18
    Top Bottom