• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Nowheresville, Tx
    Really, what I'd like to know is whats the purpose. I am new to guns but have heard about the NRA my whole life. I looked on the site and it offers different lengths of time. I would consider joining but would like to now what I am backing.

If any of you would care to educate me in laymans terms that would be great! :1zhelp:
    DK Firearms

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    The short of it: The National Rifle Association protects 2nd Ammendment Rights through lobbying. These rights may seem like a given, but politicians are always trying to infringe upon them. If you enjoy owning guns, firing them, and possibly carrying them on a daily basis then the NRA is an organization that needs your support so that they can support you.

stainone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    temple,texas
    ok buddy it's the only shot we got ! power in #'s, to get info on what affects us in gun laws,and most gun clubs are insured by or with the nra.also they have youth programs,pistol and 3-gun competitions,hunting,ect. the money is well spent if you just read the Rifleman magazine.join today the 3 yr deal to me seams the best.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    You also get discounts at different places with the NRA membership. Haven't found any yet (or looked real hard) with the TSRA.

AnArmyofRon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Granbury
    The NRA also has a powerful legal team who wage 2AD court fights against those who try to remove our constitutional rights to bear arms. Some states outside of Texas are in a constant battle against politicians who try to hamstring their citizens efforts to just purchase and store a weapon. The NRA's legal team, through funding from its members and donors, are able to bring these battles to court.

gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    The NRA is the only gun lobbyist/protectors of the 2nd Amendment that gets taken seriously by the douchebags on the Hill. When an NRA lobbyist asks for a sit down, they are never turned down. Considering that our gun rights are under CONSTANT attack (there are over 20,000 gun laws in the US.....20,000!). So, if you do the math, without the NRA, we are screwed.

As a life member, I can tell you that I do NOT always agree with what they do, but they are damn serious about protecting the 2nd Amendment. Until a bigger, more badass Pro Gun gladiator enters the ring, I will back them.

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    The NRA is the only gun lobbyist/protectors of the 2nd Amendment that gets taken seriously by the douchebags on the Hill. When an NRA lobbyist asks for a sit down, they are never turned down. Considering that our gun rights are under CONSTANT attack (there are over 20,000 gun laws in the US.....20,000!). So, if you do the math, without the NRA, we are screwed.

As a life member, I can tell you that I do NOT always agree with what they do, but they are damn serious about protecting the 2nd Amendment. Until a bigger, more badass Pro Gun gladiator enters the ring, I will back them.

That.

Hell, they can even keep my copy of the magazines. I rarely read them anyway. Another couple bucks to the fight instead of another 1/8" of glossy paper on the back of my toilet.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Been a Life member forever - 3rd generation, in fact. As others have mentioned, they aren't perfect, but between their fight to defend our rights and the various youth gun programs, range insurance underwriting, etc. - they're the best bet. As I tell folks - I support the NRA, don't care which one THEY support, but if they're gun owners and don't belong to at LEAST one national gun rights group, then they're simply freeloaders that don't deserve the right to call themselves citizens.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Tyler, TX
    Welcome to the fight!

My favorite perk is being updated on how our 2nd A is being raped in other states. Knowledge is power.

Another perk is that there is a private range in my area that's required for its members to be NRA members. They get a personal key for unlimited range time.

I've been a member for 5 years now.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    That.

Hell, they can even keep my copy of the magazines. I rarely read them anyway. Another couple bucks to the fight instead of another 1/8" of glossy paper on the back of my toilet.

FYI
    You can get an associate membership which is the same as a regular membership except no monthly magazine. Or you can request no magazine be sent with your regular membership.
    My only gripe is the massive amounts of junk mail the NRA wastes money on. I get stuff almost weekly begging for me to extend my membership. All that stuff has to cost millions to send out. Hey NRA...I'm always gonna be a member quit filling my mailbox with crap!

Dirt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Nowheresville, Tx
    I support the NRA, don't care which one THEY support, but if they're gun owners and don't belong to at LEAST one national gun rights group, then they're simply freeloaders that don't deserve the right to call themselves citizens.

Man, I am glad I signed up! Now, I wont be that guy at the range shooting or anywhere else for that matter and if asked if Im a member of a major organization I can honestly say yes! They will have to take my word on it till I get my card

Now, I need to get the wife to sign up since she too, is a gun owner.

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    Man, I am glad I signed up! Now, I wont be that guy at the range shooting or anywhere else for that matter and if asked if Im a member of a major organization I can honestly say yes! They will have to take my word on it till I get my card

Now, I need to get the wife to sign up since she too, is a gun owner.

Welcome and thanks for joining! My wife got the associate membership (I let her read my copy of American Rifleman) :-)

If funds permit the Second Ammendment Foundation is also worth supporting. They fought and won the "Heller" case and brought the McDonald case to the Supreme Court to be argued in March. They have a plan of legal challenges to onerous gun laws nationwide and coordinate with the NRA.

The TSRA (TX State Rifle Association) is also worthy of support. While we have it very good in TX, there is always room for improvement (think employee parking lots) and they look out for TX specific issues.

bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    The best reason -- the more members, the more power we have with Pols ... my wife doesn't shoot, but I bought her a membership anyhow ... blv they close to 4m members ... that's a LOT of votes ...

Top Bottom