DK Firearms

Why should I want Windows 10 that MS wants to give me for free?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I am still on Windows 7 and it works for me. I keep hearing that 8.1 was a disaster for some people. Why should I care about 10?
    Venture Surplus ad

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Our IT sent out an email requesting that W10 not be installed.
    All I need to know.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I tried it and didn't like it... too similar to that horrible failure, Win 8. I downgraded to Win 7 and like it much better.
    How did you try it already? I didn't think it was released yet (but soon). Also, if I try it, how do I downgrade back to 7 if I don't like 10?

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    How did you try it already? I didn't think it was released yet (but soon). Also, if I try it, how do I downgrade back to 7 if I don't like 10?

It was a Win 10 'Technical Review' version. I don't know about the final release but the version I tried had a 'revert' feature.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Win7 user ... I have the upgrade icon sitting in my try. Still not convinced I need it.

On another tech related board I visit, it was posted that W10 for free is a marketing attempt to gain back customers and developers the Vista -W8, etc. debacle ran off.
    W10 is supposed to be very Surface-like.

A page taken from Apple ... see OSX ...

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Win7 user ... I have the upgrade icon sitting in my try. Still not convinced I need it.

On another tech related board I visit, it was posted that W10 for free is a marketing attempt to gain back customers and developers the Vista -W8, etc. debacle ran off.
    W10 is supposed to be very Surface-like.

A page taken from Apple ... see OSX ...
    I figured it was the interface that lost a lot of people...if it's like Surface, I don't want it. Why make the PC similar to mobile??

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    I figured it was the interface that lost a lot of people...if it's like Surface, I don't want it. Why make the PC similar to mobile??

RIGHT!! Win 10 is supposed to backtrack a bit to remove some the navigation that works so very well with touch screen devices but sucks with mice and keyboards. But in the short time I tried it... it still sucked.

Last edited:

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Will run W7 until it is no longer supported with security updates.
    Will then take the box offline and continue to use it with a local "cloud" setup.

I do have Win 8.1 on an older laptop.
    Too radical a change for this old Win3.0 beta tester.

PBR

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Houston
    took me awhile before even deciding to try windows 7 -- newer versions to me unless using touch screen are just worthless and more pain in the butt

Flyingswords

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Smiths Station AL
    I got Win 7 Pro 64bit on this machine. I love it. But I wont install 10 unless I can keep the programs I already have on it. Namely my games.....Skyrim (all DLCs included), Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil HD Remastered, Ys Origins, Ys Oath in Felgana, Resident Evil Revelations 1 and 2, Mass Effect 1, Mass Effect 2 (Zaeed Massani and Kasumi Goto DLCs), Mass Effect 3 (all DLCs included), Final Fantasy III (NES remake), Final Fantasy VIII, Dragon Age Origins (exp pack and DLCs included), & Dragon Age II. Would be a pain in the butt to have to redownload them all.

Top Bottom