Guns International

Will a foreign stock on a wasr 10/63 make it illegal under 922(r)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnnyReb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    DFW area
    I've been wanting to change the wood on my Century Arms WASR 10/63 and really like the look of the foreign made ones, but am hesitant if this will make my rifle illegal with a foreign

made stock and grip. I'm unsure how many American made parts required to be compliant are in the WASR. If it wouldn't, what about an imported surplus magazine AND a wood stock set like this? If all of this would in fact make my rifle illegal, can anyone recomend a good website with US made AK stocks? I have seen the ones from Timbersmith I believe they're called already. Thanks
    Capitol Armory ad

JohnnyReb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    DFW area
    Thank you sir. I'm wondering if I only use American made magazines while having a foreign made buttstock, handgrip, and pistol grips evens out.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    How the hell are they going to know where the wood parts were made? LOL. It could be my backyard, Siciu's Romanian AK Lovewood Shop, or it could be a child sweat shop in Malaysia.

922r ... yet another retarded law that solves nothing and makes gun ownership 10 times harder than it needs to be.

JohnnyReb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    DFW area
    I had read from searching around that people who contacted Century Arms over which parts were compliant for the same reasons were told whatever parts were cheapest at the time were switched and that they couldn't pinpoint which ones on any specific rifle. That being said, under 922(r) the buttstock, pistol grip, and forearm & handguard (those 2 count as 1 under this law) would total 3 parts needing to be compliant. If I put a foreign made stock on the rifle but use American magazines, this would cancel out the stock as the three parts included under 922(r) in magazine body, follower, and floorplate. Am I wrong?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Thank you sir. I'm wondering if I only use American made magazines while having a foreign made buttstock, handgrip, and pistol grips evens out.

Using American mags is a pain in the butt, and risky. Slap the wrong mag in and you're holding an illegal rifle. American mags are harder to find and frankly I don't trust them to function properly.

How the hell are they going to know where the wood parts were made? LOL. It could be my backyard, Siciu's Romanian AK Lovewood Shop, or it could be a child sweat shop in Malaysia.

922r ... yet another retarded law that solves nothing and makes gun ownership 10 times harder than it needs to be.

I wouldn't put some very complicated and expensive techniques past them. Don't forget that this is the government - they have unlimited amounts of our money to spend to find a reason to throw us in the lockup.

I have yet to even hear of someone getting busted for 922(r), but I sure don't want to be the first.

Who knows, owning a foreign magazine might constitute constructive possession.

922(r) doesn't apply to possession, just assembly or manufacturing. If you buy a rifle that was put together non-compliant, you're not in any trouble, the guy who put it together that way is.

I had read from searching around that people who contacted Century Arms over which parts were compliant for the same reasons were told whatever parts were cheapest at the time were switched and that they couldn't pinpoint which ones on any specific rifle. That being said, under 922(r) the buttstock, pistol grip, and forearm & handguard (those 2 count as 1 under this law) would total 3 parts needing to be compliant. If I put a foreign made stock on the rifle but use American magazines, this would cancel out the stock as the three parts included under 922(r) in magazine body, follower, and floorplate. Am I wrong?

Ok, when was the rifle made? Two years ago (maybe three), the BATFE decided that barrels couldn't be imported with kits, so it would have an American barrel. Receiver is going to be US, too. Muzzle brake is likely US (look for a stamp). You can tell if the gas piston has been changed by looking for an area where the finish is missing on the op rod. They have to grind the welds off the rivet to take it out. If the finish is missing or "wrong" in the piston rivet area, it's been changed.

Going off the worksheet, if those parts plus the trigger are US-made (almost a certainty), then you'll be good even with imported wood. In fact, if your stocks are wood, the odds are that they're imported to begin with.

My opinion: Keep a US-made pistol grip on it just to be sure (strongly suggest the Tapco SAW grip - best AK grip ever!) and if you don't know if the trigger is US-made or foreign, just buy a Tapco trigger and drop it in. Then you can run the superior foreign magazines without worrying.

Sorry I didn't give you a more definitive answer sooner. It's been years since I went through this to build my AK so I was rusty, and figured you might prefer to work the solution out yourself for peace of mind.

JohnnyReb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    DFW area
    I have tapco mags that came with the rifle that work just fine and are American, so I think I should be ok with the imported wood. The only thing I'm changing at all is the pistol grip since, like you said, the rest of the wood is probably imported anyways. It's just ugly! I just want the AK look without being non-compliant. I'm not wanting any further changes.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    "922(r) doesn't apply to possession, just assembly or manufacturing. If you buy a rifle that was put together non-compliant, you're not in any trouble, the guy who put it together that way is."

Would installing imported stocks be considered assembling?

I asked one of our locally assigned ATF agents about 922r. To the best of his knowledge, no one has ever been prosecuted for violation of this section.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Its your bought and paid for rifle on the proper Fed Form, If you don't try to modify it to rock and roll or shorten barrel and keep it's total length to I think its 27 inches and don't go robbing banks and blasting at innocent people, I doubt that the Federal Spooks will even know that you are alive. They are awfully busy with paper work and trying to make semis fire F/A with rubber bands or string to send some guy to the pen to worry about your wooden stock !

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    "922(r) doesn't apply to possession, just assembly or manufacturing. If you buy a rifle that was put together non-compliant, you're not in any trouble, the guy who put it together that way is."

Would installing imported stocks be considered assembling?

I asked one of our locally assigned ATF agents about 922r. To the best of his knowledge, no one has ever been prosecuted for violation of this section.

Yes.

JohnnyReb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    DFW area
    "Another concern out there is the 3 compliance parts in a U.S. made magazine and if “my rifle is not compliant when I take my mag out”. Once again, think about the nature of the law. It is not the number of U.S. made parts you have; it is the number of foreign parts you have. If you have a U.S. made magazine in your weapon and your weapon is compliant with it in, by removing your magazine you are not ADDING more foreign made parts, so you continue to be compliant. Unless you put a foreign made magazine in, thus adding foreign made parts, you are not making your weapon noncompliant. The same thing applies when you are looking at a part that your weapon may not be equipped with. For instance, an SKS without a pistol grip or threaded barrel, the lack of a muzzle attachment or pistol grip, in essence, yields that part not foreign. Just ensure that if you add either item that you recount your parts again or simply make sure the item you are adding is a U.S. made part." - tapco.com/section922r.php

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Damn fine worksheet there Sage!! all you gotta do is erase the check mark on whatever is american made and you'll see if you're are compliant!! i came in at 9 imported parts!!

I can't take credit for it, but I'll be sure to pass your kudos along next time I talk to the person who can.

Top Bottom