Will this hurt my rifle?

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Big country, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I was just wondering if hanging in a gun rack would warp the stock or something, I wouldn't think it would but someone told me it might. So what do y'all think? :gotme:
    [​IMG]

2. Okierifleman

Okierifleman Active Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    Hey BC, this wont hurt at all in your house. If it was in a barn or something with big temperature fluctuations maybe, but not in a house where temp remains fairly constant.

3. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    The rifle is the one I'm worried about. The one on the bottom is an old single shot 20 gauge that my Grandpa gave my Grandma when they were very young so she could bird hunt with him. He engraved the wood with her initials and did the checkering on it himself. But Will the barrel or the stock warp from this?

4. Do kids still get to make them in shop?

5. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I don't know! I made that one in Ag mechanics in high school. I made something like four or five out of scrap lumber in wood shop and sold them. I think a teacher even bought one of them. But that is the one I kept. I have one that my uncle built for my dad when he was in high school. I hope one day I have a son that will build me a bad ass gun safe in his welding class! LOL!

6. ReVrEnD_0341

ReVrEnD_0341 Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    There really isn't anymore pressure on that barrel than leaning it against something for any period of time.

Big, if your way of storage were to warp that barrel, than I wouldn't ever buy from that manufacturer again.

7. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    As long as the gun is relatively light I don't think it'll mess with anything. If it were a heavy barrel, tactical bolt rifle where they get up to 7 - 10 lbs. I personally would stand it up vertically.

8. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    LOL! I'm not so worried about the barrel as the wood it's connected to. But you're right if it warps the barrel I'm in trouble. and I'll just have to buy that M&P 15 to make up for it. :happy0001:

9. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    You're fine.

Won't hurt it. Steel tubes resist bending far better than solid bars do. It won't have nearly enough pressure on it to bend the barrel. Even a heavy, solid bar won't bend. Heck, if hanging there is going to bend it, every time he shoots it, the pressure from that is going to bend it crazy.

10. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Nah, it'll be perfectly fine. Wood doesn't compress that easy, either.

Ever tear a house apart? By your reasoning, with all the constant weight on all the joints, they'd be loose. I have yet to tear a wall apart where the fasteners want to come willingly...