Lynx Defense

Winchester 67a - anyone care to weigh in?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Found out earlier today that an LGS around the corner from my old house has an old Winchester 67a (single-shot bolt action) for what seemed like a decent price ($120 plus tax out-the-door). It needs a bit of refinishing work (stock needs to be re-done, the metal needs a good cleaning and some surface rust removed), but the barrel is in decent shape, and the action is about as smooth as one could reasonably expect.

Does anyone here own one of these rifles, and if so, would you consider that a fair price based on the description?
    Gun Zone Deals

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    That's a fair price. I've seen them go from anywhere around $75 - $150. They are an old rifle, so definitely check them out. Mine is my first rifle (and gun) and was made forever ago, and I'll never get rid of it.

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Would having a chrome-plated trigger/trigger guard/bolt have a noticeable affect on the value? According to Wikipedia (sue me, I took the quick route), the plate was only done until October of 1944, so I'm assuming they would be somewhat rarer.

And I already have checked it out. Gotta go back to the shop next week and double-check the bore, see what that looks like. Bore light the 'smith had was too weak to see anything.

Last edited:

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Would having a chrome-plated trigger/trigger guard/bolt have a noticeable affect on the value? According to Wikipedia (sue me, I took the quick route), the plate was only done until October of 1944, so I'm assuming they would be somewhat rarer.

And I already have checked it out. Gotta go back to the shop next week and double-check the bore, see what that looks like. Bore light the 'smith had was too weak to see anything.

Mine is plated, and the older ones do carry more value. The only ones that have higher values are the "Boy" version (which is smaller) and the very first editions which had a smoothbore. If it's in good shape I'd say at $120 it's accurately priced for an older model.

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    That's pretty much what I suspected. Thanks for the confirmation and help.

Pretty sure I'll be bringing it home some time this week. Makes up for passing over a $75 Stevens .22 up in Michigan last month (granted, that thing was a wall-hanger...).

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    When you check the bore, if you find that it is a smooth bore, snatch it up. That is a heck of a deal on that rare variant. The gun should not have a serial number on it, so don't panic if you don't see one.

This years Blue Book lists the values as:
    100% - $300
    98% - $250
    95% - $225
    90% - $175
    80% - $125
    70% - $100
    60% - $75

Add 30% for boys rifle (20 inch barrel)
    Add 100-150% for smooth bore.

Top Bottom