Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I can't blame this one on my mother. :)

It's a Winchester Model 12 pump action shotgun in 16 ga. with a full choke. It looks like the lowest level field grade they produced but I'm no expert.

I bought this because I thought it would make a good learning piece. I had some obscure vision of learning how to refinish, rehab, reblue old guns. Like most of the projects I start to set up, it never got off the ground and I've decided it won't before I'm gone. When I bought the gun, it had spiderwebs in the barrel and I haven't cleaned it. Also, if you tilt the firearm barrel up, barrel down, you hear something sliding back and forth in the magazine tube. This happens whether the action is open or closed. The follower is right where it's supposed to be and under what feels like adequate spring tension. Maybe this thing is plugged to reduce capacity? I have no idea.

The finish is mostly gone. There's some blue on the barrel. The receiver is almost completely without finish. A couple of bright spots here and there indicate to me that the person who had it before me took some fine steel wool to knock off the light coat of rust that was probably nearly everywhere. I can't find any place where they scrubbed too much but ymmv. There's some obvious pitting on the left side of the receiver but that's the worst single place I've found.

Like all Model 12s that's aren't rusted to junk, the action is pure pleasure to work, with that old-school feel of real blued steel for every part. It's not just slick, it's substantial. It's hard to describe but you know it when you feel it.

$100

Below the pictures are the terms of sale. I've tried to make them complete so as not to disappoint anyone or cause disagreements. I'm sorry it's a wall of text but I can't find a better way.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Markings are in the next post.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Conditions, provisos, and other language designed to cover my butt -

I can take more pictures for anyone who needs them to make a decision. Just let me know what spot you want me to focus on.

Questions in this thread or by PM are welcome though I may not reply promptly.

The person who commits to buy it has every right to inspect it at delivery and nix the deal; I would not be in the least offended. I will not re-negotiate the price at delivery but I don't mind completely unwinding the deal and taking the shotgun back home.

First "I'll take it" in this thread, followed up promptly with a PM to discuss particulars, gets it.

A note to help prevent disappointment: The first "I'll take it" in this thread means exactly that. If you think you want something but are only 90% sure, you can send me a question or post it here. But if I'm away from the computer for 2 hours and someone else jumps in here and posts "I'll take it" before you do, they get the gun, not you. That's disappointing to a potential buyer and I don't like it when it happens. To prevent that scenario, if you're 90% sure you want something, go ahead and post:

I'll take it...

...conditional on the question I'm sending you. PM inbound.

Other folks can also post "I'll take it if the deal above me falls through." I have no problem keeping track of multiple potential buyers as long as they get in line in a single publicly visible place. In the past, people have created animosity/drama by accepting offers through multiple sources, e.g. in the thread or PMs or email or a phone call or a text, etc. That method has the potential for lots of hurt feelings because multiple people believe they are first in line. I am completely intolerant of creating even the slightest impression that a sale is, in any way, less than above board.

This thread, using the "I'll take it" language, is the place to commit to the purchase. Nowhere else.

I won't post anything for sale here that's also listed elsewhere. I really hope that's clear enough.

I'm in Spring, north of Houston. If you're willing to meet me halfway, I'm willing to drive a bit to meet you in a public place to make the sale. For a gun at this price, that won't be too far, say ~10 miles.

Cash only, daytime only, F2F only (no shipping), and no trades. A quick look at your LTC is preferred but a TDL works, too. I won't try to copy the info. I hope I don't have to ask and that you'll volunteer that you are NOT a prohibited person.

I will not do a bill of sale. :)
    Guns International

Brassguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 15, 2017
    Wichita Falls
    Ben,
    Do you ever travel to N. Texas? I’d love that gun but am in Wichita Falls. I would also be willing to pay the shipping if you would ship it. I can email a copy of my LTC and send payment however you would like.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Ben,
    Do you ever travel to N. Texas? I’d love that gun but am in Wichita Falls. I would also be willing to pay the shipping if you would ship it. I can email a copy of my LTC and send payment however you would like.
    I haven't gotten to N. Texas in years.

However, if the shotgun doesn't sell for a while, I'll be flexible. I consider that outcome probable, given that it's in ugly shape in 16 ga which, afaict, almost nobody wants.

If it sticks around a while and I decide I'm willing to ship, I'll PM you after I update this thread.

For now, though, the stated terms remain.

Brassguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 15, 2017
    Wichita Falls
    Please keep me in mind. I’m somewhat of a Mod 12 collector. I actually have been looking for a 16ga that I could get refurbished for pheasant hunting. I’m looking for a gun that I can take to the field and not worry if it gets scratched or dinged, just enjoying a day in the field.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That's SPF.

Anybody who wants to get in line in case the deal falls through can do so, as per the terms above.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Delivered.

Bowman impresses me as one of the good guys.

Feedback left and I would suggest no one should be at all reticent to deal with him in the future.

Closing thread.

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    Top Bottom