• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Destroyed windmills would make excellent fish habitat and that's what will happen with the first hurricane. I really doubt it's going to be built, this is just a repeat of the failure that Obama tried.
    In truth it depends upon the severity of the hurricane. Some survive intact.

I am opposed on the grounds we already have too much unreliable renewable energy in Texas.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    In truth it depends upon the severity of the hurricane. Some survive intact.

I am opposed on the grounds we already have too much unreliable renewable energy in Texas.
    Installing more unreliable energy in Texas will result in bigger disasters when it fails. The more dependable energy sources will be shut down during the times the renewable sources are producing, leaving a much larger shortage when the wind and sun are favorable.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Won't work.
    The floor of the Gulf is a pretty much a flat surface. Not much to anchor to.
    The first strong hurricane will trash them. The fish will love the structure provided by derelict towers and submerged debris. The shrimpers will love that too.
    How are they going to pipe the electrons to shore? Power lines? LMAO.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Won't work.
    The first strong hurricane will trash them. The fish will love the structure provided by derelict towers and submerged debris. The shrimpers will love that too.
    Pilings. No one tries to anchor them to outcrops anywhere in the world.

Underwater power lines are used in this world and are not rare.

Offshore wind turbines have been working for decades in some pretty rough parts of the world (North Sea).

The issues are less technical, but more on expanding unreliable generation.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Won't work.
    Inclosed piping laying on the ocean floor so boaters have a good anchor hold.

Or that stretch of turbines will be off limits and boaters will have to navigate many miles around them.

Last edited:

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    It will be heavily subsidized by the Govt. No private companies will want to lay out that kind of cash. It will be a money laundering vehicle for the Democrat party/politicians (and some Republicans).......and most of the components will be made in China (yay!). When it fails, we the people lose, so what's not to like about it?

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Inclosed piping laying on the ocean floor so boaters have a good anchor hold.

Or that stretch of turbines will be off limits and boaters will have to navigate many miles around them.
    Buried cables. Just deep enough that anchors can still catch them...

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    They spent some obscene amount of money building a wind farm off the coast of Martha's Vineyard. The total program was cut in half because enough people saw costs ballooning out of control; $4billion to make 806 megawatts on windy days.

In Texas, the average household uses 36 kWh of electricity per day.
    A megawatt is 1000 kW.
    If I'm looking at this accurately, $4bil wind farm would power 22,388 houses. $178,667 per house to power them for the first year. Wind turbines have an estimated lifespan of 20-25 years, but in the real world I think more accurately thats 10-15 years not counting maintenance, survey, and other costs. So amortize that over about 10 or so years, thats nearly $18,000 per year per house. How are they ever making their money back? Even if those stupid things do last 20 years, I think my highest electricity bill for my rather small house in the burbs was $400 because of a crummy heat pump and old windows. They'd have to charge $1000 per month, every month for every house to ever hope to make a profit because at the end of 20 years they have to replace them!

Thats not even assuming there are going to be shutdowns for repairs, non-windy days (but on the ocean its generally windy) or anything else going wrong. These only work with subsidies.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    They spent some obscene amount of money building a wind farm off the coast of Martha's Vineyard. The total program was cut in half because enough people saw costs ballooning out of control; $4billion to make 806 megawatts on windy days.

In Texas, the average household uses 36 kWh of electricity per day.
    A megawatt is 1000 kW.
    If I'm looking at this accurately, $4bil wind farm would power 22,388 houses. $178,667 per house to power them for the first year. Wind turbines have an estimated lifespan of 20-25 years, but in the real world I think more accurately thats 10-15 years not counting maintenance, survey, and other costs. So amortize that over about 10 or so years, thats nearly $18,000 per year per house. How are they ever making their money back? Even if those stupid things do last 20 years, I think my highest electricity bill for my rather small house in the burbs was $400 because of a crummy heat pump and old windows. They'd have to charge $1000 per month, every month for every house to ever hope to make a profit because at the end of 20 years they have to replace them!

Thats not even assuming there are going to be shutdowns for repairs, non-windy days (but on the ocean its generally windy) or anything else going wrong. These only work with subsidies.
    Plus I understand the environmentalists are trying to shut them down off the east coast, blaming the whales dieing from them.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Plus I understand the environmentalists are trying to shut them down off the east coast, blaming the whales dieing from them.
    I've got doubts about the whales, but I dont' keep up with what does kill them other than fishermen. Its not great to drop those massive concrete foundations (anywhere) and with ocean habitats being super sensitive to anything, I'm sure its affecting marine life. Plus on top of that, the steel masts are at least an inch thick and the ocean doesn't care and will eat them away with tides and corrosiveness.

Most people don't realize just how gigantic those turbines are, or the foundations necessary just to hold them. As I'm googling, apparently there are multiple off shore foundations, my guess is they're going with the absolute cheapest ones.
    This is them on land, probably similar square footage to a suburban house foundation.

nv0Y84u.jpeg

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Pilings. No one tries to anchor them to outcrops anywhere in the world.

Underwater power lines are used in this world and are not rare.

Offshore wind turbines have been working for decades in some pretty rough parts of the world (North Sea).

The issues are less technical, but more on expanding unreliable generation.
    And the offshore foundations: i'm sure the rendered image obfuscates the scale and sizes a bit, but still, thats a lot of crap to be dropping into the ocean.

fSFCqsZ.jpeg

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I've got doubts about the whales, but I dont' keep up with what does kill them other than fishermen. Its not great to drop those massive concrete foundations (anywhere) and with ocean habitats being super sensitive to anything, I'm sure its affecting marine life. Plus on top of that, the steel masts are at least an inch thick and the ocean doesn't care and will eat them away with tides and corrosiveness.

Most people don't realize just how gigantic those turbines are, or the foundations necessary just to hold them. As I'm googling, apparently there are multiple off shore foundations, my guess is they're going with the absolute cheapest ones.
    This is them on land, probably similar square footage to a suburban house foundation.

nv0Y84u.jpeg
    Probably 200 square yards of concrete on that pour.
    I'd need to review some documents.

Top Bottom