• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Windham Weaponry MPC from Cabela's. It is their "Cabela's Exclusive" model for $849.

"For every Windham Weaponry/Cabela’s “MPC” purchased, $10.00 will be donated
    to The Paralyzed Veterans of America / Outdoor Recreation Heritage Fund.

This model is also Laser Engraved with an American Flag image to honor those who have served our Country."

windham1.jpg

• Model: R16M4FTRFT-C
    • Caliber: .223 Rem. / 5.56mm NATO
    • Type: Rifle
    • Action: Semi-Automatic, Gas Impingement System
    • Capacity: 30 + 1- Ships w. one 30 Round Magazine (accepts all std. sizes)
    • Safety: Manual Lever w. Indicator Markings Both Sides of Receiver
    • Receiver: M4A4 Type Flat Top Upper Receiver
    • Receiver Material: Forged 7075 T6 Aircraft Aluminum w. Aluminum Trigger Guard
    • Receiver Finish: Hardcoat Black Anodize Finish
    • Bolt Material: Carpenter 158 Steel - MP/HP Tested
    • Barrel: 16” M4 Profile, Chrome Lined w. A2 Flash Suppressor
    • Barrel Material: 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium Steel
    • Rifling: Lands & Grooves - 1 Turn in 9” - Right Hand Twist
    • Stock: 6 Position Telescoping Buttstock w. Windham Weaponry Logo
    • Fore end/Pistol Grip: M4 Double Heat Shield Handguards / A2 Black Plastic Grip
    • Rear Sight: Diamondhead Flip-Up Sight
    • Front Sight: Adjustable Height Square Post in A2 Standard Base
    • Packaging: Hard Plastic Gun Case w. Black Web Sling & Operators Manual
    • Windham Weaponry is proud to offer the highest quality rifles made anywhere. As testament to that quality, we back our rifles with a Lifetime Warranty to the original owner. That Warranty is also transferrable to subsequent owners. See Windham Weaponry Online. AR15 Manufacturer for complete details.
    • M.S.R.P. $1040.00

mpc2p.jpg

Upper Components from factory

M4 receiver and barrel extension, 1/9 twist 16" M4 profile barrel (MP tested, CL)
    m4ramps.jpg

CH & BCG - M16 carrier, chrome lined key, staked gas key, black extractor insert, bolt (MP/HP batch tested)
    chandbcg.jpg

carrierkey.jpg

extractorinsert.jpg

Front Sight - nonF FSB with .040" sight post
    nonffsb.jpg

Rear Sight - Diamondhead flip up rear sight
    rearmbuis.jpg

Lower Components

Commercial spec buffer tube, unstaked castled nut, aluminum trigger guard
    lowerh.jpg

Carbine buffer
    carbinebuffer.jpg
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Gratuitous images for full perspective, bar none (the good, the bad, the ugly) what was left on my sd card of the shots I took when I first got the rifle

grat1.jpg

The crown forge mark is familiar for this company. Not certain the manf of the FSB. It did contain a lot of flash inside and out and I did not like it the more I looked at it. I end up taking care of that myself.
    grat2.jpg

grat3.jpg

grat4.jpg

grat5.jpg

grat6.jpg

grat7.jpg

Note the keyhole forge mark on the upper. This signifies Cerro Forge was the manf. On the back of the rear lug of the upper (not shown) is an "L". My understanding is that is LAR's mark. I *believe* they do the lowers as well based on the big AR lower receiver comparison FAQ.
    grat8.jpg

grat9.jpg

grat10.jpg

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    All I know about windham is that the guy who started the company was one of the first guys fired from bushmaster when freedom group bought them. I would suspect that most of it is rebranded parts from bushmaster/remington/dpms.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    That is exactly the position it is in. The forward position indicates service in the military.

Civilian organizations like the Boy Scouts orient the flag in what we would call the retreat position.

I knew someone would correct me if needed. Thanks!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It flys the other way in the military because we were always moving forward.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I took a lot of notes and specs. I like knowing specs.

Parts weight

M4 Upper (complete) = 4lbs 4.6oz
    M4 Lower (complete) = 2lbs 2.3oz

WW BCG = 11.625oz
    WW Charging handle = 1.25oz
    WW M4 Hand guards = 6.4oz
    Diamondhead Rear Sight = 2oz
    WW Buttstock = 7.6oz
    WW Commercial buffer tube = 5.4oz
    WW Carbine buffer = 3oz
    WW 30rd Mag = 4oz

Gas block = .750"
    FSP = .040"+

First impressions – break down, cleaning, functional handling (pre-fire):
    • Attractive price point
    • Well finished exterior, no machine marks, consistent black color on receiver and upper
    • BCG looks quality, interior chamber and rails are well machined, no hidden fowl- ups
    • Folding rear sight is a great feature
    • Mag release easily clears mag
    • Manufacturer reputation & warranty
    • Rifle feels solid
    Critique:

• Castle nut not staked. Fix: Use spring loaded punch and stake it myself
    • Plastic parts are rough. Edge flashing on hand guard is very sharp. Hole in stock has sharp flashing on edge; both uncomfortable, continuously and annoyingly cut skin. Fix: razor blade the seams and skim over with 320 grit paper to knock points and smooth rough edges
    • Front sight casting is rough, but no functional deficiency.
    • Trigger guard bottom has gap with sharp edges. Cuts middle finger. Fix: replace guard or grip
    • Supplied magazine seems flimsy compared to rest of rifle, but adequate. Fix: buy mags I prefer

Comfort/Gun fit/Upgrades:

• Rifle is front heavy. Pulling out stock further than comfortable to balance the rifle and compensate. Go lightweight: hand guards, even barrel. Adjust balance.
    • Grip angle is too drastic. Hurts wrist, fatigues arm. Need a more 90* grip. Consider: ERGO Tactical Deluxe Grips, Stark SE-1, Magpul MOE-K, BCM Gunfighter grip
    • Grip finger bump interferes with grip, especially narrow hand/fingers. Need grips w/o bump: see above
    • Can’t work bolt release w/ offhand. Consider: Magpul B.A.D. lever
    • Magazines. Consider: 20rd for some weight savings and ease of carry, maneuverability, lower profile, ammo comes in 20rd boxes, even aesthetics
    Mod notes:

Get rid of FSB flash - 1/7/13
    flashrem1.jpg

Send upper to Adco for work to reprofile barrel – mailed 1/8/13

• Full lightweight contour, leave .750” gas block (standard LW contour is a Straight (no taper) .625 under the HG, and .600 fwd of gas block.)
    • FSB flashing removable & repark

Before reprofile
    wwm4profile.jpg

While upper gone, change buffer tube to BCM milspec, change buffer to H, install CTR stock

castlenuttq.jpg

First thing you're probably saying is "WTH?"

This was the setup I used to get the nut torqued to spec (40ft/lbs) having use of only one hand. There might be other folks out there who are in the same boat and there isn't always someone around to help lend a hand, literally.

Explanations:

Standing/holding the stock and receiver with my feet - With the receiver in the vise I found that as I torqued the nut the buffer tube would twist and leave the stock sitting at a crooked angle. I'm not able to hold the tube from twisting while applying torque to the nut with only one hand. This was what I came up with.

Foam pad under receiver - should be obvious that it is to cushion the receiver.

Standing on my workbench - I had to raise the receiver high enough off the ground that I could position the armorer wrench so the head wouldn't get stopped on the ground when I torqued it. So, I hopped up on my bench and let the wrench head overhang.

Tape on the buffer tube - precaution to cover the tube so I didn't mar the threads if the wrench slipped

Finally all this positioning allowed me to get the torque wrench in the strongest position for me to pull up and get to torque spec. I needed to secure the nut.

Subsequently, the castle nut was staked with a spring loaded punch. You'll need multiple strikes and do that until you're satisfied with the stake. I recommend a few strikes straight down to form the dimple to keep the punch from skittering off. Then you can strike at an angle for the stake.

I go surgical for some stuff, it's how I do quality work = attention to detail. Don't knock it.
    stakecastlenut1.jpg

Nice and staked.
    stakecastlenut2.jpg

Received upper back, looks great, install new stock, grip & handgurds – 1/18/13

After reprofile
    lwprofile.jpg

Clean FSB
    cleanfsb1.jpg

Put together in FDE: Magpul CTR, Magpul MOE carbine HG, BCM Gunfighter grip Mod1, BAD lever

wwfde4.jpg

Range Day 1/23 – 80rds (Winchester Ranger 64gr JSP), Colt mags ran great, 100%

Setup proven for fit, tear down dye FDE -1/28/13
    pregrey.jpg

bettergrey3.jpg

Modified Specs

Upper (complete) = 4lbs 1.2oz
    Lower (complete) = 2lbs 4.6oz

Magpul MOE Hand guards = 6.8oz
    Magpul CTR Stock = 8.8oz
    BCM GFG Mod 1 = 2.9oz
    BCM Milspec buffer tube = 3.8oz
    Colt pre-ban 20rd = 3oz
    BAD Lever = .125oz
    H-buffer = 3.75oz

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    All I know about windham is that the guy who started the company was one of the first guys fired from bushmaster when freedom group bought them. I would suspect that most of it is rebranded parts from bushmaster/remington/dpms.

Close, but not acccurate. When Bushmaster sold out to Freedom, Freedom closed the Windahm, CT plant. That put a lot of people out of work. The CEO of Bushmaster signed a 5 year non compete when he sold. When the 5 years was purchased the Windam plant, rehired many of the placed out of work Bushmaster, and in honor of the town named the company Windham.

There are many that say Bushmaster quality decreased after the buyout and move to another plant. These new rifles are good rifles. It is also a nice story.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas

Yeah, I know their story. It is mostly what tipped me to going with them.

What about their parts is wrong if they are just rebranded?

Looks okay to me. Just like dozens of other ARs on the market. Not fond of the rear sights. 6 months from now they will probably sell for $695.

What kind of sights do you prefer on the AR15?

It flys the other way in the military because we were always moving forward.

My husband is wearing the uniform.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    56k warning?!?

Does anyone even use dial up anymore?

I guess I dated myself with that heading huh if it isn't even used anymore lol

Close, but not acccurate. When Bushmaster sold out to Freedom, Freedom closed the Windahm, CT plant. That put a lot of people out of work. The CEO of Bushmaster signed a 5 year non compete when he sold. When the 5 years was purchased the Windam plant, rehired many of the placed out of work Bushmaster, and in honor of the town named the company Windham.

There are many that say Bushmaster quality decreased after the buyout and move to another plant. These new rifles are good rifles. It is also a nice story.

This is my understanding. I do think there is credence that the Bushmaster quality went downhill after the buyout. Around that time, in 07, 08ish Marlin was sold to Remington who at the time was backed by Cerberus/Freedom Group. A lot of rifles in those brand line ups started to suffer as well. On the Marlin forums those arms built after the sale are known as Remlins. It isn't out of the question that there may be some correlation to quality & ownership. I do think it a bit unfair the bad reputation tails around the Windham product. But they seem to be working hard to put that to rest. Guess it'll take some time, as rifles get built and get out into the market. We'll see where the chips fall

From what I've seen on my rifle, it's pretty solid. I think their CS is on their toes right now really trying to take care of their product. They're also looking to expand a bit once they get caught up. I think they're looking 1/7 twist rifles (it is available on the 20" IIRC) but they want to do the carbines as well. They are also discussing going to milspec REs. I would like WW to do well. Obviously I invested in the product. But I wouldn't have if I didn't feel comfortable with what I was looking at.

soada101

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Euless, TX
    Sheesh very nice in depth detail! Love it. If you ever happen get your hand on a SWMP 15. I would love to see your "report" ;)

Sent from Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    FYI the flag on the magwell signifies a portion of the sale from this rifle goes to the Paralyzed Veterans of America & Outdoor Recreation Heritage Fund. That's why there was a support our troops magnet in the box too.

Sheesh very nice in depth detail! Love it. If you ever happen get your hand on a SWMP 15. I would love to see your "report" ;)

Thanks, will do. Maybe my brother in law will let me investigate his duty rifle next time I'm out his way.

kirk10100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    Very nice! I have the same model but nowhere near the modifications that you have. I'm mostly concentrating on getting ammo first them I'll look at some modifications.

Top Bottom