ARJ Defense ad

WOLF, no thanks. I'll stick with Tula Ammo.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock
    Went to the range today and just shot 50 rnds of Wolf through my 1911. Man was it dirty, I mean WAY more dirty than 150 rnds of Tula I shot last time. I was thinking of ordering that 500 rnds Wolf .223 through Copes w/ the free shipping, but after seeing this, I probably wont.

This sucks because the 4 walmarts here don't sell Tula in .223 or 7.62. :banghead:

Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock
    Tula is it's own maker. Maybe too much oil in the pistol? Just seemed a lot dirtier and more of those solid specks. What are those by the way?

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I know a 1911 is different from a ak or a sks but thats all I shoot out of them and I dont clean them much. My opinion:If your using a com bloc mil spec rifle or pistol use whatever steel cased ammo that is available that way you wont bother finding the casings and it goes from point a to b. Now a 1911 or my ar I shoot brass and a cleaner powder. To each his own.

Tcruse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth
    It seems that the reports of quality or lack of quality varies much more than I would have expected. My suspicion is that different batches, especially of ammo that is packaged/imported by different company than the manufacture vary greatly. For 9mm my usage have lead me to the following:
    Tula - hard primers, min performance, somewhat dirty
    Federal (red box) - very very dirty, unburned power everywhere
    Winchester white box- good,base line to compare other practice ammo
    Herter TNJ - standard power, very clean, nylon jacket is a plus, very good over all
    Ruag precision ammo - clean, accurate, CTD selling for 8.38, like it better than WWB
    S&B - very good, a little hotter than WWB, can not go wrong with this
    MFS2000 - brass case, good quality, very close to S&B, sometimes on sale at cabelas for under $10
    Brown Bear - ok, smells, better than Tula, not fond of coating

Guns: Glock gen 3 26, Glock gen 4 17, Ruger P95, Keltec P11

Would like to hear comments on others and sources for reasonable priced practice ammo.

speedy223

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    crockett
    good info.. .was going to ask about the brown bear..seen it advertised but haven't tried it yet... Wolf has always been ok to me so far.. but admittedly i have not bought ammo in about two years... maybe newer batches are of lesser quality?

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    In 22, I love Wolf. Anyone who doesnt and wants to unload it cheap...let me know. In my SKS...Brown bear/ Silver bear / Wolf / Tula...it all is cheap and goes bang.

crabbys44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Austin
    Sure but being able to use less cleaning supplies helps the wallet.

Use a bore snake. It will do most of the work for you.
    428209.jpg

brnmuenchow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    San Antonio
    Actually, too much oil in the gun can make it seem that way.
    My father and I took our AK's to the range using the same Wolf ammo and his gun looked liked it has been ran through the mud from too much lube!

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    The title of this thread makes me laugh. Both are CHEAP brands. Like deciding between a Hyundai and a Kia.

That having been said would shoot either if there is a sale on them.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Actually, too much oil in the gun can make it seem that way.
    My father and I took our AK's to the range using the same Wolf ammo and his gun looked liked it has been ran through the mud from too much lube!

Yep. I've shot a ton of Wolf and Tula and other cheap crap. I've never noticed one brand as being "better" than another. Heck, I haven't even noticed the lower-end brass-cased stuff as being any better than the cheap stuff.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    The title of this thread makes me laugh. Both are CHEAP brands. Like deciding between a Hyundai and a Kia.

That having been said would shoot either if there is a sale on them.

Have you driven a post 2009 Hyundai or Kia lately lol? I'd trade my stang in for a genesis (sedan) or an equus (also sedan).

suhsjake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    If you are worried about cleaning supply costs, then you probably shouldn't be owning fire arms. Secondly, it sounds like you are over cleaning your pistol.

I cleaned an M4 this weekend that was fouled by carbon, only using a few drops of CLP, two pipe cleaners, boresnake, nylon brush, and a rag. Thank you ROTC cadets.

NCStar and Leapers are made in the same factory in China. You get what you pay for. Buy Primary Arms.

Top Bottom