Woman attacked on subway platform as workers looked on

Discussion in 'News Articles' started by Shorts, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Just watched this story on Kelly's Court on Fox News and it brings up a variety of emotions. Aside from holding back tears I am absolutely furious.

From a CCWers standpoint, I want to spit on those guys for not helping. They're no better than the rapist in my book.

From the woman's standpoint, I can't imagine crying out for help, staring into help's eyes, and left out there alone to be raped, twice.

As a CCWing woman, this is why I carry. I'm not going to wait and put my life in some cowardly passers-by hands. I'm not going to pay with my body, twice, while I wait for cops to show up.

I would like to see pro-gun advocates take this story and run. That act of calling 911 does not stop the attack. Before the cops got there this poor girl was raped TWICE. There were so many chances for this incident to go right. That lady should have been armed. Those loser subway workers should have helped.

I'm sorry, I'm flaming mad. Sadly a number of women can relate to this poor lady's horror. Guys, this is your wife. This is your daughter. This is your sister. This is your mom. Are you ok with it being your family?

Lastly, I can't believe that two witnesses stood by and ignored it. And I wave a finger in salute to the judge for his ruling. It should not be a written law that a person is required to exercise human decency and humanity to help a woman being raped right before one's eyes.

Laws are worthless without principles. Its no wonder our society standards are going down the toilet. This world is upside down when doing right is wrong and wrongs are acceptable.

:332:

2. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I remembered seeing a video of a man hit by car and left in the streets of Connecticut (iirc) to fend for himself. People even drove around the older man. That kind of crap sets me on fire.

I've lived and traveled up north/northeast. They are not "Texas Friendly". I don't know if it's the cold, the crowd, or the crowded while cold, but it's not the same as the south.

3. GM.Chief

GM.Chief Well-Known

Mar 16, 2009
    I have to say I agree 100%. If you see something like that going on you've got to do something. If you're not armed yourself, use a backpack, a newspaper, anything to try and help. If this was happening to my wife, I'd be pretty pissed to find out people saw what was going on and didn't help out. What happened to a sense of duty inherent in the common person. Nowadays, it's mostly a sense of self preservation. It's sad when people think we should let our military help others, but don't want to do anything themselves. Good people get hurt because lazy self-centered people let the bad guys win while they wait for someone else to do something. These guys are like a bunch of sick voyeurs in my mind.

4. Vellcrow

Vellcrow Active Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." This quote is not a jab at LE, it is just a fact. The police department is a reactionary force, one that is not obligated to give citizens personal protection.

Why would any governmental body not allow its citizens the right to protect themselves? What happened to that woman was beyond terrible, and yes, I think the MTA should be held accountable.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."...applies to this situation in a very sad way.

5. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I can feel for her and understand her frustration.:mad:

In 1978 I was robbed in Houston at gun point while pumping gas.
    There were three other people pumping gas and the attendant was watching as well and no one stepped up.
    Shortly after my home invasion 4 weeks later I started carrying a 357mag.
    At the time I did not care if CCW was legal or not.
    As one tag line says; when seconds count, the cops are only minutes away.

6. Starker

Starker Active Member

This is the quote that steamed me.

The MTA issued a statement that said, “It is important to note that while NYC Transit workers are trained to the highest degree of professionalism in their assigned jobs, they are not and should not be expected to perform in the capacity of law enforcement officers.”

How about performing in the capacity of a "decent human being?" :332:

7. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    This is a "ME" world.
    You hardly every hear we, us, - it's always me or I.
    I aint gettin involved!!!!
    Back in 78 while waiting for the HPD I asked the gas station attendant why he did not call the cops? His reply was "not my problem"

Most people don't give a dam unless it happens to them.
    I will say with exception that most CHL holders have a completely different view. I think this may because they themselves don't want to be a victim or see someone else become a victim.
    Man this tread is starting to piss me off.
    I can't stand people that watch an injustice and walk away thinking it's ok.:mad:

8. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Me neither. I was in the parking lot at the Leander post office last year (mailing rent) and there was a terrible head on collision and people just stood there watching while a road construction guy, wilco deputy and I started helping. People just don't care anymore. (Now I'm only 23) but when I was a kid we'd stop and help people, and I still do. We take things like rape seriously in Texas,I guess they don't in New York. I don't think someone could do that to a woman in Texas and get caught. :332:

9. GM.Chief

GM.Chief Well-Known

Mar 16, 2009
    Exactly. I understand that it's me world, and I'll be the first to admit that it's hard to care about everybody all the time. Maybe that's why I try not to watch the news all the time, you get depressed or pissed when you see what happens out there. But I'll ssay this: it's one thing for you to be indifferent when you're at home watching TV, it's another thing when you're there in person. Get off your butt and do something. Don't stand there like a moron and think "hmmm...isn't that a shame?". How do these people even look themselves in the mirror. I may not be a totally selfless person, but I try to help when and where I'm at a place where things aren't going right. These people who don't care oughtta be given a swift kick in the rear. They probably sit in their pews at church and talk about how great a person they are...

10. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    OK, we all think others should help in such situations.....but the thrust of the article was that the woman wanted the witnesses held civilly responsible.

Do you want THAT?