• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    For Pete's sake, doesn't everyone know to make absolutely, positively sure that a gun is unloaded before cleaning it?!? :banghead:

Woman Shot, Killed While Cleaning Handgun

A woman who San Antonio police said accidentally shot herself while cleaning her gun in a North Side apartment Saturday has died, authorities said.

Rebecca Ginn, 55, was pronounced dead at University Hospital on Saturday around 4 p.m., shortly after she was hospitalized, according to the Bexar County medical examiner's office.

Police were called to Ginn's apartment in the 3200 block of Northwest Loop 410 Saturday afternoon, when Ginn discharged her .38 caliber handgun while cleaning it. She was sitting on the couch, police said, and was shot once in the chest.

Although police did not suspect foul play, the medical examiner's office has not yet determined if Ginn's death was an accident.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    Sad but makes me wonder...

".38 caliber handgun"
    That means odds are it was a revolver, right? I can see taking out the mag and accidentally leaving one in the chamber...but a revolver? Wow.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I also hear people mistakenly call .380's "thirty eights" all the time, which is pretty damn annoying, so it could still be a semi auto.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    made that mistake when i got my first 1911 went through the tv throug the wall hit the dresser then thank you JESUS broke right and fell, momma was on the other side of the dresser no one hurt by me BEING STUPID

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Yep, a .380 is .38 caliber is it not..........

Read this thread, specifically...

The souce of your confusion is in thinking of the numerical designation as a strict caliber, or bullet diameter (actually, the dimension between the grooves of a rifled barrel, but that's more detail that you asked after.)

These are cartridge designations -- properly, the .38 Smith & Wesson similar to the .38 special, aka the .38 Smith & Wesson Special, designed by that company, and for years a standard cartridge for police in the US. The case diameter is .379", with a bullet diameter of .357". (As a poster above noted, this is the same case diameter as the .357 Magnum, more properly known as the .357 S&W magnum.) IOW, you can use a .38 S&W Special cartridge in a .357 Magnum revolver, but not the other way around. Also, since this was designed for a revolver, it has a "rimmed" case, ie, a pronounce lip that sticks out at the bottom of the cartridge, to keep the rounds from falling out of the cylinder when you load them.

The .380, on the other hand, was designed for semi-auto handguns, and thus uses a 'rimless' case. (OK, I know that there are semi-autos out there chambered for rimmed ammunition, but that's too esoteric for this post.). Interestingly enough, this cartridge is most commonly referred to in this country as the .380 ACP (Automatic Colt Product/Pistol), but is also referred to in reloading manuals as the 9mm Corto, 9mm Kurtz, and, in English speaking countries, the 9mm Short. It has a case diameter of .374, and a .355 diameter bullet.

This is a long way round of saying that your friend at the range gave essentially correct information, but left out all of the extraneous detail that would let you understand the answer, rather than accepting it blindly.

BTW, you don't have to take my word for it. The information above comes from the Lyman Reloading handbook (happened to be closest), 47th edition.
    And...

The 380 ACP actually has a bullet diameter of .355. (That is just the way it was designed back in 1908).

The 38 Special actually has a bullet diameter of .357. (It was designed in 1902 as an improvement of the 38 Long Colt cartridge.
    Confusing, but the bottom line is they are not the same.

Oh, and it has been theorized that this may (emphasis may) have been a suicide staged to look like an accident. It's plausible, but it never hurts to remind everyone to be safe while cleaning a weapon!

Cheers! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    /\/\/\.....wouldn't you really be M3?

Major
    Mad
    Max

It was 'Mad Max,' hence M2, long before I was a major, the result of a minor motorcycle wreck in the UK back in the early 80s...but yeah, some pointed out it should be 'M3' after the promotion...but I didn't want to be confused with a BMW!

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    It was 'Mad Max,' hence M2, long before I was a major, the result of a minor motorcycle wreck in the UK back in the early 80s...but yeah, some pointed out it should be 'M3' after the promotion...but I didn't want to be confused with a BMW!

I understand.....who would?

Matthew2000tx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Helotes, TX
    Very sad... just the importance of checking the gun three times over before cleaning...

Drop Magazine; Rack Slide; Finger in barrel... it's cleared... it's safe.

Heck move ammo to another room... we must never get too comfortable for a weapon.. that is dangerous.

megafatcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    It may just be the years of having firearm safety beaten into me as a kid, but most ND come from playing with a gun and then being too embarassed and therefore the line of " Cleaning it and it went off". Wife used to be terrified when I was teaching my son to clean his guns. She thought that it was more dangerous than hunting.
    I am making no judgement and have no facts on this. Prayers to her family.

Never even came close cleaning a gun. Playing with one, yes.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    My Dad was a doctor and a county coroner. They use that "killed while cleaning a gun" statement to clear suicide records. Insurance companies will refuse to pay off if it's a suicide.

Churches prohibited burial of a suicide on Holy ground so that is less desirable, too.

There is probably more to the story.

Flash

Top Bottom