Lynx Defense

Work Sharp Tool / Sharpening angles on knives?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I bought the Work Sharp pro tool and it has been working great. I have sharpened a few knives but I stopped when I got to my Benchmade since I know that they have some steep angles on their blades.

Anyone know what the angles are for Benchmades? Also, how do I figure in the "inclusive" angle thingy?

I sharpened my Buck Zipper hunting knife at 25 degrees and it came out awesome. Super sharp and slices paper like butter.
    Hurley's Gold

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Break out the calipers, measure the bevel length and width, and math it out.

...or just start making light passes while adjusting the angle and watch for the point when it's polishing the entire bevel.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I have the Ken Onion model, I'm pretty sure I used the 25 deg setting on my Benchmade, it just needed touching up, so I think I only used the two finest belts and it was right back to razor sharp in no time.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Badass sharpener. I just got one myself.

You can take a marker, mark the edges of your blade, take a single pass using the softer grit paper, and see what happens.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I have the KO model also. I am not sure what angle my Benchmade's started at, but they were pretty dull, so I worked from a pretty heavy grit at 25 deg until I had the requisite burr on the entire length of each edge (which may have actually re-profiled the angle from the original factory angle), then worked down in grit from there.

As for "included angle," it's just the edge angle doubled. So if you're sharpening to a 25 degree edge on each side, the included angle is 50 deg (25 x 2).

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Break out the calipers, measure the bevel length and width, and math it out.

...or just start making light passes while adjusting the angle and watch for the point when it's polishing the entire bevel.

Unfortunately I do not have a caliper set but ironically have been looking for a better quality set then I had before. Have been searching eBay but forgot about the search.

I have the KO model also. I am not sure what angle my Benchmade's started at, but they were pretty dull, so I worked from a pretty heavy grit at 25 deg until I had the requisite burr on the entire length of each edge (which may have actually re-profiled the angle from the original factory angle), then worked down in grit from there.

As for "included angle," it's just the edge angle doubled. So if you're sharpening to a 25 degree edge on each side, the included angle is 50 deg (25 x 2).

Thanks for explaining the included angle thingy. It seemed obvious but I have gotten in trouble to many times with assumptions. I do have the KO model and it is a fine tool. I have been going around the house sharpening everything I can find lol. I would rather find the factory angle before I go and reprofile the knife. It is a tanto which I have had for years and really like the knife. It was extremely sharp when I first bought it and it held the sharpness for a long time even though I cut into numerous things I shouldn't have for quite a while. I'll keep looking.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    TX69, call Benchmade and ask. I have dealt with them a couple times, and they have been awesome to deal with. They have even sent me a free replacement part for one of my knives, even after explaining how it was my fault that the part was lost.

I'd be very interested to know how you plan on going about sharpening the tanto blade.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    TX69, call Benchmade and ask. I have dealt with them a couple times, and they have been awesome to deal with. They have even sent me a free replacement part for one of my knives, even after explaining how it was my fault that the part was lost.

I'd be very interested to know how you plan on going about sharpening the tanto blade.

Best adbice I've had today! I called and talked with "Nolan". Super nice man and told me the blades are indeed 15 degrees 30 inclusive. Because the knives that I bought have a life time warranty on them I am shipping them in to have them repaired and sharpened. No cost to me other than I pay to get them there which will be $5 bucks. Apparently one of them is super rare and it was suggested that I put it in the gun safe rather than risk having it lost or stolen.

Thanks!

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Best adbice I've had today! I called and talked with "Nolan". Super nice man and told me the blades are indeed 15 degrees 30 inclusive. Because the knives that I bought have a life time warranty on them I am shipping them in to have them repaired and sharpened. No cost to me other than I pay to get them there which will be $5 bucks. Apparently one of them is super rare and it was suggested that I put it in the gun safe rather than risk having it lost or stolen.

Thanks!

You're welcome. :) Once or twice every 5 years or so, I get lucky and provide advice that turns out to be useful to someone. LOL

Thanks for sharing the info, because I am surprised that the angle is a whole 10° smaller than what I re-profiled mine to. I'm wondering if the angle is different for different types of Benchmade knives, so I'm gonna call them myself too.

Very cool about the rare one! Can you share what model it is, and maybe a pic or two?

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I'm wondering if the angle is different for different types of Benchmade knives, so I'm gonna call them myself too.

Just got off the phone (I got luckier than you TX69, and got to talk to "Amber"...LOL). She told me that ALL Benchmade knives, regardless of model, are sharpened at 15-17°.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Just got off the phone (I got luckier than you TX69, and got to talk to "Amber"...LOL). She told me that ALL Benchmade knives, regardless of model, are sharpened at 15-17°.

Be careful.

Because in Oregon "Amber" could look like this.....

timbersports-underhand.jpg

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom