World's Coolest Fighter Jets

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by slim jim, May 22, 2008.

1. slim jim

slim jim Official News Guy

Mar 18, 2008
  2. zaraster

zaraster Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Ennis
    WOW some of those are pretty wild

3. I hope you guys know that the F-16s are made right here in our backyard -- Fort Worth TX. Over 4,000 have been built and are in use in 24 countries.

We are also building the F-35 here at Lockheed. The F-35 is going through flight test right now. These jets are planned to replace the aging F-15s, F-16s, Harriers, F-18s, etc in the US and British military. Production will be ramping up here shortly.

We also build the mid-section of the F-22 here.

:banger:

4. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    My friend is a test engineer at Lockheed Martin in Ft. Worth.

5. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    My Neighbor works at Lockheed, and he took me on a tour Monday.

The F35 is being made in three versions, the A (STOL for Standard Take Off and Landing) the B model (VSTOL) and the C model for the Navy.

The A models are for the Air force and are replacing the F16 and A10. The B models are replacing the Harriers and F/A 18 in the Marines. The C model has larger wing and tail areas in addition to beefed up landing gear and structure along with a hydraulic tail hook for carrier operations. It will replace the current Attack aircraft as well as the older F/A 18s. The Navy is keeping the E and F variants of the 18, know as the Superhornet.

The F35 does not have a Heads Up display, but has that information integrated into the helmet.

6. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Glad to see a more "economic" aircraft being developed. It's often been a bit odd to me why we have 50 different planes for a few common purposes.